M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2007 ML350 hatch will not open, fuel gauge not working, battery dead next day, help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350
Exclamation 2007 ML350 hatch will not open, fuel gauge not working, battery dead next day, help!!

2007 ML350 lift-gate will not open, there is beeping sound but no locking/unlocking sound.. its automated so red switch on the gate and interior switch on the driver's door work, they lift the gate up/down but only when I open it physically with the button on the inside wall of the lift gate.
Handle over the license plate on the outside of the vehicle physically works fine but with no reaction from the vehicle, at the same time my fuel gauge stopped working.
Next day car wouldn't start, had to jump start it and all the time I get message about open lift gate even though I close it physically after opening it from the inside.. what is wrong, what should I replace and are they (fuel gauge and lift gate) related somehow??

The night before my friend was using the vehicle and I know for sure he used the trunk but if he closed the lift gate "all the way" I cant tell all I know in the morning hatch and gauge didn't work and day later I had to jump start my car.

Just wanted to mention that I turned off the interior lights right after the problem occurred so they couldn't draw power from the battery..

I don't know what to do since the warranty is over..

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by bravoo67; 04-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM

2007 ML350
It was some burned computer located in the back under the passenger side taillight.. installed new from the MB dealer parts store and no programming was necessary..
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
yeah sounded like a rear SAM.

Mine let go when it was being serviced at Benz, good timing!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
My '08 ML350 cdi victimized us from day one with hatch-related problems. After a ten months, and many strandings with a dead battery, MBUSA offered an assisted trade for a '10 BTC. My very competent dealer made five attempts to fix. SAMs, adjustemnt to the latch striker, struts and motors, more SAMs.

There's a common fault in the system, but an even larger problem is that there is no manual override. No handle, no way to pull the hatch down and overcome the closer mechanicals. Just a terrible design IMO.

Sorry for your troubles. I was soooo happy to get rid of that vehicle.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 AM

2007 ML350
yes you are right it was rear SAM.. and yes design of the rear closing gate is terrible..

I closed rear gate with the key and unfortunately forgot to check if it was "fully" closed, it rained later that night so rear SAM got wet and burned :/
Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 PM

2007 ML350
Originally Posted by bravoo67
2007 ML350 lift-gate will not open, there is beeping sound but no locking/unlocking sound.. its automated so red switch on the gate and interior switch on the driver's door work, they lift the gate up/down but only when I open it physically with the button on the inside wall of the lift gate.
Handle over the license plate on the outside of the vehicle physically works fine but with no reaction from the vehicle, at the same time my fuel gauge stopped working.
Next day car wouldn't start, had to jump start it and all the time I get message about open lift gate even though I close it physically after opening it from the inside.. what is wrong, what should I replace and are they (fuel gauge and lift gate) related somehow??

The night before my friend was using the vehicle and I know for sure he used the trunk but if he closed the lift gate "all the way" I cant tell all I know in the morning hatch and gauge didn't work and day later I had to jump start my car.

Just wanted to mention that I turned off the interior lights right after the problem occurred so they couldn't draw power from the battery..

I don't know what to do since the warranty is over..

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!
I know this is after the fact. The right rear tailight leaks onto the SAM Module corroding the circuit board.
I removed the Sam Module and cleaned the corrosion with electronic cleaner and everything worked fine.