M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Removing W164 Head Lamp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350
Removing W164 Head Lamp

I have a 2007 ML350 and the driver side high-beam halogen melted part of my headlight assembly. I have ordered a new head light (OEM 164 820 45 61) and new bulbs but I can not figure out how to remove the old headlight. I popped the hood and removed 3 bolts that looked like it was holding the assembly in place but it still wouldn't come out. Is there something I'm missing. Do I need to take off the front bumper cover or the plastic in the fender wells to reveal another bolt? I have searched all through the treads & internet for days and cannot seem to find clear instructions . Can anyone help?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM

SLK32 AMG, ML320CDI W164, Mini JCW 2004, C32 AMG W203
Hi

I have just removed my headlight as it had got some condensation inside.

Mine is a 2005 W164 ML320CDI.

To remove the bumper plastic you need a 10mm spanner,10mm socket and a T20 torx driver as well.

1. Remove the 10mm bolts from next to the lights and the ones securing the grill.
2. Remove the two plastic poppers in the middle rear of the grill holding it against the slam panel.
3. There are about 8 bolts underneath securing the bumper plastic so undo those.
4. There are 3 plastic poppers in the wheel arch lining remove those and prize the lining away. Take out the 3 upper fixings, one behind the wheel and one underneath and remove the front half of the liner (this makes it a lot easier to reassemble)
5. Where the bumper meets the fender (wing) there is a T20 torx screw with the head pointing down so inserting the torx driver is from below. Undo this.
6. Carefully ease the bumper away from the fender (you need a bit of force but not to much, maybe some penetrating oil as a lot of road dirt gets stuck in there).
7. Then pull the bumper away, carefully (the plastic and paint are designed to flex but be careful to not overdo it as it may crack the paint).
8. The headlight has 3 bolts. One is shared with the bumper, the second is close to the fender on the top and the third is accesible just under the fender edge that was joined to the bumper skin.
9. The headlight has a few connectors which become apparent as you remove it.
10. Alignment of the light is done at the mounting points (course adjustment) so get them to match and then the actual light reflectors have adjustment screws on the back of the light.

I managed to do this with only half the bumper as I only needed to take 1 headlight out. I put down a tarp to receive the bumper on the floor but I didn't need it as I was able to remove the headlight with only part of it off.

The plastic poppers are the type with a central pin that locks it in place so use a flat head screwdriver to loosen the pin and a pair of pliers to remove it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SLacKer32; 11-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM

2007 ML350
Thanks for the info. My headlight replacement just arrived last night so I'm going to try and install today.

Quick Question.... how do I unplug the bulb from the low beam socket? I removed the back cap, and then removed the bulb from the housing but I could not unplug the bulb from the cord. I tried wiggling it around and pulling hard but still nothing. Is there something I need to push down or untwist? I'm afraid if I pull too hard the bulb is going to snap off leaving the plug stuck in the socket.