M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Keep 2008 ML320cdi, or get 2011 ML350 Bluetec or new Honda CRV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML320cdi
Question Keep 2008 ML320cdi, or get 2011 ML350 Bluetec or new Honda CRV

Up until 3 months ago, I adored my 320cdi. Now, not so much. Going uphill one day, the 320 lost power. Step on the gas, no joy.

This happened several more times, so I took it to a non-Mercedes but European specialized shop that was well rated, and geographically convenient. They diagnosed a clogged oxygen valve (OK, full disclosure, I'm not a car person), which cost over $700 to replace because they had to remove the engine to get to it.

A couple of weeks after the repair, it happened again. and again. The last time the scary "OVERHEATED PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY!!!" light came on. I limped to a gas station, added coolant, limped home. Back to service station. They couldn't find anything with computer, but we replaced coolant overflow tank cap (possible leak), did a regular oil change, etc. and they found a cracked turbo cover, which they replaced "for free".

Drove from Seattle to Eugene OR and back to Portland on Monday, no problem. Tuesday, heading uphill on I-5 back to Seattle, squeaking noise, then no power, then "OVERHEATING". Coolant overflow boiling, radiator stone cold. Flatbed back to dealer in Seattle.

24 hours later the service coordinator says they can't find anything wrong with the car. REALLY!?!?!?!?! So the lead tech drove it home and back. No problems found. Now they are recommending new thermostat and belt. $773+.

Dealer also pitched me on a 2011 ML350 Bluetec with 32K miles for 43,888, and offered $24000 on my 320, which has 60K. Fix or trade up for $20K? The decision is urgent because a deer fell out of the sky and totaled our other car...2001 S500 with 50K

What's the best choice? I need a reliable car, as my husband works overseas, and I HATE dealing with car issues on my own. Maybe a new HONDA CRV for about the same price as the used 350? ARGH!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Trade for the 2011. In reading your post, seems like that "well rated" shop did something strange. And if it did overheat, there are other issues coming that you wont be happy with.
Personally not a Honda fan, so can't advise there.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Whatever you do, DO NOT GET THE HONDA. Overrated machines.

I concur with dgturbo as it appears that the first shop did something wrong.

Trade up to the new-er ML. It does not sound like a bad deal but you may have some room for negotiation on that price.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK250
A big Honda fan here. I have owned almost every models for last 20 years including CR-V with over 150k miles w/only regular maintenance. Not a luxury brand but reliability is far better than our ML for sure. Or you can try MDX.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Is not clear to me whether more than one shop has been working on your ML. I think whoever is working on it, one or two, don't know what they are doing. You have idiots reading the Star diagnostic computer without thinking. Thats fine as long as M-B warranty is paying the bill. In 6 warranty trips to the dealer I got a new AdBlue injector, NOx sensor, probably got the AdBlue/DEF tank topped off, until finally they found a bad electrical connection. Also the first 3 months of ownership I made so many trips back to the service department I never had a chance to wash the car for myself. I miss the free car washes but not the trips to the dealer.

Pull the engine for $700? Thats a screaming fantastic bargain! More like a $7000 job. I think you have been B.S.'ed.

If you like the Honda, get it! Lexus also makes a very nice car. My boss is threatening to trade her BMW for either a Honda Crosstour or a newer Toyota Avalon. Your business is Mercedes-Benz's to lose.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MercsDude
Whatever you do, DO NOT GET THE HONDA. Overrated machines.
I think otherwise.

Trade up to the new-er ML. It does not sound like a bad deal but you may have some room for negotiation on that price.
I wouldn't trade 2008 for 2011. Too much effort, cost, and risk, for too little difference. The 2012 is a significantly different and better ML, "says the man who owns a 2009." The ride and suspension is much upgraded.

If you are going to trade then go shopping. Drive one of everything even those you "know" you don't want. A year or three from now driving whatever you select you will remember the ones you didn't buy and remember why you made the selection you did.

I park a Prius between my ML and Porsche 928S. Its different. And I like it also too.