M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2007 ML320 CDI preparation for purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 tundra
2007 ML320 CDI preparation for purchase

Cliffs
-own 2007 tundra 92k miles avg 14mpg on commute due to traffic
-race motorcycle pull 6x12 trailer
-looking at 07/08 80k miles or so 22kish price. Would spend a little more for GL

I am trying to find the "major" issues of this vehicle. It appears that most major issues are random? I have seen 150k miles and more with no issues.

So the largest issues seem to be a tranny going out. I do a lot of work myself and would hope to buy a $2500 tranny and replace it myself.

Any other things to look out for in specific beyond the normal used car purchase?

Final question, how CONFIDENT would you be purchasing this vehicle with 80-100k miles?

Thanks for any and all opinions. Due to price and reliability I gave up on the idea of a diesel SUV after looking at the X5. The ML320 looks like it could be a winner though.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320cdi Irid.silver, 2013 VW Jetta Prem. Tdi Dsg red
Check underneath for power steering fluid leak and motor oil leak from oil cooler. My ext warranty paid dealer about $3700 to fix both. It was top main seal on power steering. Now it doesn't use a drop of fluid or oil. An 08 Cdi with 80k. Been changing trans fluid every 40k at dealer. So far so good. This suv has the best heat & a/c I've ever had.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Look for maintenance history, from both prior owner and dealers. I maintain mine more than the factory guide recomends, and with 135000 trouble free miles on the engine, I have no complaints. I also change my oil with Mobil1 ESP 5W40 Formula M every 5000 miles.

Big isues are transmission failure, and I attribute that to Mercedes bragging that their fluid only needs to be changed once at 39000 miles then good for life. Bad idea. (Good for Mercedes as they only warranty for 50000 miles.) Mine failed at 98000 miles, (within the 100000 mile extended warranty period I bought.) So now I change transmisson fluid and filter every 40000 miles.

Front diff failures. Again, in my opinion a fluid change issue. Again, I change mine every 30000 now, with Mobil1 Synthetic, which is much more frequent than Mercedes recomends.

Oil leaks. Design flaw we all have to live with. It's either the turbo inlet seal, oil cooler seals or PCV hose. Either way, it's part of life as I have replaced all the above, and every now and then I see a small drip on the driveway. Just going to live with it as it is not enough to affect the oil level.

Rust. Check the inside of the doors edges to see what's there. Many are surprised. Not a big issue, but at least you know what you are in with.

If I saw the maintenance history, that would boost my confidence, as these vehicle are very durable workhorses. Mine towed my 6000 pound camper quite happily, with lots of onlookers wondering how it sat level with so much weight behind it, (thanks to Airmatic), and how it pulled to speed so strong, (thanks to turbo diesel). Also being so quiet, people are suprised and impressed that it is a diesel motor in there, and everyone envies the 30+MPG you will see very often..
And just wait till you hit winter and snow. With the proper tires, the 4Matic will give snowmobiles competition.

Just make sure when you buy one that it actually has the features advertised. I have seen many on the internet advertising things like leather seats when it's actually MB tex (vinyl) and Xenon lights when it's just regiular HID's. (Xenon lights will always have the headlight waser system in the front bumpers.)