M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need urgent help on 2008 ml350 power steering rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
BTV94: I couldn't quickly put my hands on the bill for the work on our car. Replacing the rack and pump (and doing some other things) took less than a day, but it doesn't tell you much about what the book time is. I'm pretty sure it was under $1000 at my guy, so that means he charged me less than 10 hours. It's a not-insignificant amount of work, and you need an alignment afterwards.

One amendment to my previous post is that, at least today, PartsGeek now has an ample supply of Maval racks, at least in the non-parametric (speed sensitive) steering version, which is the more common one. PartsGeek "Warehouse A" is WorldPac, which is a big supplier of foreign parts to Indy mechanics. Although they don't anywhere highlight this fact, Partsgeek and WorldPac are both owned by Advance Auto Parts, so it's not a fly-by-night operation and the stuff is pretty-well-guaranteed to be authentic. (The people in my local Advance store don't realize that when they are ordering something from WorldPac for me, they are ordering from another division of the same company.)

Another thing to mention is that we have had absolutely-zero issues in the almost-3-years since we put in the CVJ Axles remanufactured steering rack that we purchased from their distributor Brinson Co, as described above. That's no surprise, given their reputation for stellar quality. It's hard to justify the extra expense over the Maval when the Maval is available, though. We installed a Maval-remanufactured pump along with the CVJ rack, because the pump was leaking as well, and it has performed flawlessly, too. Maval stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Originally Posted by wjcandee
BTV94: I couldn't quickly put my hands on the bill for the work on our car. Replacing the rack and pump (and doing some other things) took less than a day, but it doesn't tell you much about what the book time is. I'm pretty sure it was under $1000 at my guy, so that means he charged me less than 10 hours. It's a not-insignificant amount of work, and you need an alignment afterwards.

One amendment to my previous post is that, at least today, PartsGeek now has an ample supply of Maval racks, at least in the non-parametric (speed sensitive) steering version, which is the more common one. PartsGeek "Warehouse A" is WorldPac, which is a big supplier of foreign parts to Indy mechanics. Although they don't anywhere highlight this fact, Partsgeek and WorldPac are both owned by Advance Auto Parts, so it's not a fly-by-night operation and the stuff is pretty-well-guaranteed to be authentic. (The people in my local Advance store don't realize that when they are ordering something from WorldPac for me, they are ordering from another division of the same company.)

Another thing to mention is that we have had absolutely-zero issues in the almost-3-years since we put in the CVJ Axles remanufactured steering rack that we purchased from their distributor Brinson Co, as described above. That's no surprise, given their reputation for stellar quality. It's hard to justify the extra expense over the Maval when the Maval is available, though. We installed a Maval-remanufactured pump along with the CVJ rack, because the pump was leaking as well, and it has performed flawlessly, too. Maval stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck!
Thanks again for the info,
I call local MB dealer, it's $1270.
$870 from Brinson and decided to go with Brinson. Will stop by indy shop this saturday to find out.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Great! When I called Brinson in CT about whether they had the CVJ Axles remanufactured rack in stock, the guy told me that I needed two (I think) little o-rings as well, and he added them to my order and sent them along with the rack. When I went to the mechanic, he told me that he forgot to tell me to order the o-rings; I was able to tell him that they were also in the box from Brinson. Your $870 might include a core deposit from Brinson. I remember that they were very fast at refunding it when I sent my used rack back to them.

Good luck! Come back with any other questions, and let me know how it goes.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 550
To anybody having that issue, FCP Euro offers very good pricing. I would recommend them.