M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 05:40 PM

2019 S560 Maybach
Unhappy City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!

I have been trying to get my city/parking lights to work with the LED bulbs from AZN optics, but for months it's been a back and forth of malfunctions, flashing lights, and error codes...
(Not saying their product is bad, I just haven't had any luck with them)

I am about to give up on LEDs completely! Anyone know any lights that could work? ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP

I just want to get rid of that ugly yellowish glow. Looks bad with the Xenon lights. It would be so nice to have both clear white headlights WITH clear white city/parking lights.

Is there anyone out there who had this problem? Any solutions? Better LEDs to recommend? Alternate wedge lights to suggest (non LED, but white shine)?

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED! Would really love to have a clean looking car without error codes for once!
Old 05-09-2014 | 06:42 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Not sure why you're vehicle is having these compatibility issues, but responded to your PM that we can try stepping to our V3 units which have a broader accepted current range. These will be slightly (10-15%) less bright than the V4 units, but should still be plenty bright enough. Instructions on what's needed to do this swap have been PMed to you.
Old 05-29-2014 | 11:53 PM

ML 350
I came here to talk about this exact subject - getting rid of the ugly, yellow parking lights!

I dont know what the V4 is but can you, AZN or Sunny, PM me as well? I dont want anythign super bright, just not frickin yellow, ugh.

I'm looking at these tonight but dont know if they'll fit. I think where the light comes out might be too big to fit in the housing hole.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...58-1-pair.html
Old 05-30-2014 | 01:08 AM

R230
Hi Sunny.
I have tried several LED's.
AZN died on me in <4 months. I went with a 5000k after trying 2 5000k and an 8000k
You want the the style with side and face LED's. It reflects off the shielding and have a better look than just face type.
I bought the very same ones as AZN off eBay and bought 4 for <$$'s
Becareful though, some eBay sellers have smaller LED's but the same configuration
BTW. Those LED's from VLED are too short. They'll be too far recessed and won't light up the headlight reflector shield.

Good Luck
Old 05-30-2014 | 01:15 AM

ML 350
Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Hi Sunny.
I have tried several LED's.
AZN died on me in <4 months. I went with a 5000k after trying 2 5000k and an 8000k
You want the the style with side and face LED's. It reflects off the shielding and have a better look than just face type.
I bought the very same ones as AZN off eBay and bought 4 for <$$'s
Becareful though, some eBay sellers have smaller LED's but the same configuration
BTW. Those LED's from VLED are too short. They'll be too far recessed and won't light up the headlight reflector shield.

Good Luck
Ah, Harry, you're right. I can see how they will be too short. Dang. I need to befriend an illumination engineer! haha.

I'll see if i can search around for LEDs on the side and face. I would even be fairly happy with a bright white, non-LED buld. This shouldnt be so hard!
Old 05-30-2014 | 06:18 AM

2019 S560 Maybach
Originally Posted by Gridirongreat
Ah, Harry, you're right. I can see how they will be too short. Dang. I need to befriend an illumination engineer! haha.

I'll see if i can search around for LEDs on the side and face. I would even be fairly happy with a bright white, non-LED buld. This shouldnt be so hard!

Hello Hary and Gridirongreat,
Although I have mentioned before that I was having trouble with the AZN bulbs, we have finally found a solution!
Thanks to the great customer service and persistence on trying to fix the problem and make me a happy customer, we have tried a different version of their LEDs.

The V3 is less sensitive to electric readings than the V4. The V3, in the 3 weeks that I have had them, work without a glitch (finally....). They are more of a heavy duty bulb, which I guess the city lights require.

The V4s are also great, they are just sensitive and should be used in other locations. I mounted them as interior LEDs and they work perfectly fine with no error codes or flickering.

Hary, I cannot say I've had them long enough for them to break as you have, but the customer service that I have received from them was exceptional. Even though I had the issues in the begging I would recommend AZN Optics to friends and would definitely buy more LEDs from them. I felt like a valued customer who is not just another number in their business.

I have two pictures showing the installed bulbs. One with just the LEDs on and the other with the LEDs + Headlights on. Hope the pic uploads work...
Attached Thumbnails City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!-img_3921.jpg   City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!-img_3922.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014 | 11:56 AM

R230
I bought "V3's" for almost $1/3 with free shipping on eBay. They ALL come from the same place. AZN gets them from Chinese suppliers also.
Current set is >3 months and work fine but I have a backup set if needed for and 4 identical LED's were less than AZN.
VLed has some great quality products just not in my app.

FWIW next time but 2 sets. You won't have to wait for 2nd pair in shipping when one of the first set fail or be slightly different in light color or output.
Old 05-30-2014 | 05:08 PM

ML 350
Originally Posted by SunnyT
Hello Hary and Gridirongreat,
Although I have mentioned before that I was having trouble with the AZN bulbs, we have finally found a solution!
Thanks to the great customer service and persistence on trying to fix the problem and make me a happy customer, we have tried a different version of their LEDs.

The V3 is less sensitive to electric readings than the V4. The V3, in the 3 weeks that I have had them, work without a glitch (finally....). They are more of a heavy duty bulb, which I guess the city lights require.

The V4s are also great, they are just sensitive and should be used in other locations. I mounted them as interior LEDs and they work perfectly fine with no error codes or flickering.

Hary, I cannot say I've had them long enough for them to break as you have, but the customer service that I have received from them was exceptional. Even though I had the issues in the begging I would recommend AZN Optics to friends and would definitely buy more LEDs from them. I felt like a valued customer who is not just another number in their business.

I have two pictures showing the installed bulbs. One with just the LEDs on and the other with the LEDs + Headlights on. Hope the pic uploads work...
Thank you for the pictures Sunny. While it's difficult to tell in pictures, they sure do look bright. Do you think they're too bright with the headlights on? (I have HID lights)? Anyone flashing you?

Sounds like the V3's are the ones to get. I'll google around and find them.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014 | 12:47 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Actually our V3 come from our manufacturer in Japan, so please don't make assumptions. Also keep in mind that although the physical configuration might be similar between many manufacturers, what matters is the internals. Just like not all TVs are the same, even though they're the same size and have screens and remotes. Our V3 units are now equipped with more Toyoda Gosei SMDs which for that size has a better track record with heat. Additionally, our V3 units are now gel based with high temp gel substrate to help insulate and isolate solder components and resistor unit. We're also working with one of our different manufacturers in South Korea on the new 3D LED which we're hoping to adapt to 194/T10 base and bring to market by next year, which would be a first in the industry.

Old 05-31-2014 | 01:42 AM

ML 350
Are these what i want for my '09 ML 350 with HID lights for the parking lights to finally get rid of the yellow bulbs?

http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=81
Old 05-31-2014 | 02:23 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Are these what i want for my '09 ML 350 with HID lights for the parking lights to finally get rid of the yellow bulbs?

Yes
Old 05-31-2014 | 04:02 PM

ML 350
Very good. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2014 | 01:40 AM

R230
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Actually our V3 come from our manufacturer in Japan, so please don't make assumptions. Also keep in mind that although the physical configuration might be similar between many manufacturers, what matters is the internals. Just like not all TVs are the same, even though they're the same size and have screens and remotes. Our V3 units are now equipped with more Toyoda Gosei SMDs which for that size has a better track record with heat. Additionally, our V3 units are now gel based with high temp gel substrate to help insulate and isolate solder components and resistor unit. We're also working with one of our different manufacturers in South Korea on the new 3D LED which we're hoping to adapt to 194/T10 base and bring to market by next year, which would be a first in the industry.

All I know is the above photo; that's not what fits in a W164 MB city light socket and what I bought from AZN and only lasted 2 months. Regardless who or where it came from.
That's not what you sold me. The T10's you sold me ( which I'm sure you're aware) seem to be prone to failure due to overheating.
Old 06-01-2014 | 02:35 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

V4 units run at higher temps due to being one of the highest lumen units in the market. V3 gel are the more durable units running at cooler temps with gel substrate to help isolate heat. It is true that V4 have a higher failure rate though, but our metrics track that to w204s with two V4s in same housing sitting on top of heat rising low beams. We've already advised all w204 owners to go with our V3 based off this. We have not seen a spike in failure rate on other models.

That said, I apologize for the issue you ran into. You are covered under our warranty and can get the V3 gel units to you, but I find no conversation or name that matches your mbworld handle. Feel free to contact me via PM with your actual name so we can look up your record.
Old 06-01-2014 | 12:13 PM

R230
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
V4 units run at higher temps due to being one of the highest lumen units in the market.

We have not seen a spike in failure rate on other models.

You are covered under our warranty and can get the V3 gel units to you, but I find no conversation or name that matches your mbworld handle. Feel free to contact me via PM with your actual name so we can look up your record.
OK, only for others sake here I take issue with "Company based spin posting"

Your return policy isn't customer friendly. Meaning if my LED dies I have to spend the money to ship it back to you. Not a big deal by itself but considering how much more you charge for the same product, I won't be a return customer.
The biggest reason for low recorded failure rate with your company is your return policy. But your company is "unusually hard to reach by phone". Items can't be returned without an authorization # so only after lengthy phoning you can wait up to 2-3 weeks to get something back or be told there's no warranty and place another order all done thru snails pace USPS

Not to say this will happen to everyone but this was my experience and the reason why I choose to take my business elsewhere
Old 06-01-2014 | 01:30 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

LED warranty policy only require a pic of the faulty unit be emailed to us, we don't require the bulb mailed back to us and if we do want it physically back, it's due to discussion of abnormal event where we'd want to perform diagnostic on the unit, which we provide label.

Each warranty/return factors into our failure rate metrics. These are tracked and fed back to our manufacturer to help improve their QA process as well as help identify lot/batch issues.

We're constantly on the road traveling site to site so recommend email communication which we answer all emails either sane day or no later than 1 day.

All our LEDs have a 1 year warranty, but we're typically always lenient with our forum customers so if you're just out, we still take care of you. Even if you're completely out of warranty, we can take care of you with deep discount.

USPS first class is 2-3 days with tracking. Larger HID packages are shipped via Priority.

Everything you're saying here doesn't follow our policy and as mentioned, I have not received any PM from you or find any record of "Hary Gahtoe" as a customer if that's your actual name and not just a user handle. I encourage you to contact us with your personal info so I can look up your record and address your personal experience issue.

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
OK, only for others sake here I take issue with "Company based spin posting"

Your return policy isn't customer friendly. Meaning if my LED dies I have to spend the money to ship it back to you. Not a big deal by itself but considering how much more you charge for the same product, I won't be a return customer.
The biggest reason for low recorded failure rate with your company is your return policy. But your company is "unusually hard to reach by phone". Items can't be returned without an authorization # so only after lengthy phoning you can wait up to 2-3 weeks to get something back or be told there's no warranty and place another order all done thru snails pace USPS

Not to say this will happen to everyone but this was my experience and the reason why I choose to take my business elsewhere
Old 06-01-2014 | 11:02 PM

R230
So customer pays extra for priority.
Customer timeline from failure to replacement is >2weeks
USPS 1st. class to my location (even from L.A.) has never showed in 3 days.

I tried contacting you. e mail was a 2day affair.

Your own website contradicts what you have posted above
AZN web direct quote

"Returns will only be accepted only for functional reasons (error code, improper flash, size fitment). However there is a 1 year warranty on defective units but will only be replaced with same exact ordered item. Warranty pieces will need to be shipped back to us or picture/video evidence of unit be sent to us and we will process warranty claim immediately upon receipt. Please contact us at aznoptics@gmail.com prior to processing a warranty claim.

Exchanges for color matching reasons can be processed with an additional shipping fee. Our units are lab calibrated to less than 1% variance for specific rating."

To be fair I won't post who I now buy from now.
Old 06-02-2014 | 12:01 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Yes, we have the return disclaimer because there was a uptick in sampling. If they don't work, then yes, we of course process return. And as mentioned in the warranty, shipping back to us OR a picture/video evidence of the unit is enough to process claim. Most people send us picture, but every now and then we do have customers who do insist on mailing back to us to process claim, but that's entirely customer's choice.

As for email, if yours took 2 days to respond, then we apologize for the slight delay. Either way, it's not the 2-3 weeks you mentioned hearing back.

USPS first class parcel is generally 1-4 days depending on where it's going to but it typically takes 3 days to get to the east coast from where we ship in California. Either way there's a tracking number that shows how long it takes. So at worse, if you have an issue, you contact us at worse case it takes 2 days to hear back from us (although that's not the norm I assure you), you send us pics and we mail replacement back to you next day (sunday and holiday obviously will be delayed until next mailing day) and then it takes 1-4 days. Once again, let us know if you experienced longer delay by letting us know who you are and we can trace back to the tracking number associated with your order and we can see how long it took to address any delays with our USPS business shipping agent.

As for shipping cost, all small bulb units (festoons, wedge) ship for FREE anywhere in US. Larger units has small shipping charge due to increased weight. HID kits due to larger size gets shipped via USPS Flat Rate Priority box which is $11 in US.
Old 06-03-2014 | 12:07 PM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG

Last edited by GateKeeper; 06-03-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2014 | 09:26 PM

ML 350
Finally got this done. The V3's worked. Received the product fast from AZN Optics. As long as I get good life out of them I'm happy as I appreciate the look of these. I couldn't stand the old yellow parking lights.

Now I just need to get rid of those amber bulbs with white/clear and them I'm set. The new LEDs look great with my HIDs as well.
Attached Thumbnails City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!-benzleds.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014 | 10:09 AM

2019 S560 Maybach
Finally got this done. The V3's worked. Received the product fast from AZN Optics. As long as I get good life out of them I'm happy as I appreciate the look of these. I couldn't stand the old yellow parking lights.

Now I just need to get rid of those amber bulbs with white/clear and them I'm set. The new LEDs look great with my HIDs as well.
Looks very nice!
Good luck to you on your next bit of the project. For me it was hard enough to get the city lights in tightly without removing the bumper. No idea how you are going to manage the side lights.

However, please do post the results though. I'm interested to see how that would turn out and if it's worth me having a go at doing the same. Have fun!
Old 06-22-2014 | 11:42 AM

ML 350
Originally Posted by SunnyT
Looks very nice!
Good luck to you on your next bit of the project. For me it was hard enough to get the city lights in tightly without removing the bumper. No idea how you are going to manage the side lights.

However, please do post the results though. I'm interested to see how that would turn out and if it's worth me having a go at doing the same. Have fun!

So I changed the side lights but only removed the amber bulb and replaced with a clear bulb. It turned out still a bit too yellow'ish to me so I ordered another set of V3's to see what those will look like in conjunction with the city light LEDs. Once I get those from AZN Optics (and installed) i'll post a picture.

Definitely a tight fit in there!
Old 06-22-2014 | 02:01 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC

I thought I had ordered the V3's from this link, but I got the V4's and they just blink in my 2010 ML350.

There was a sheet in the box warning not to plug the LED's in too far such that the resistor above the contacts comes into contact with voltage plate in the socket. I found this difficult to avoid. If the LED isn't seated all the way, it feels too loose in the socket. Do the V3's have this issue as well? Why isn't there something glued to the circuit board in front of the resistor to protect it?
Old 06-23-2014 | 12:53 AM

ML 350
Originally Posted by jpcarroll
I thought I had ordered the V3's from this link, but I got the V4's and they just blink in my 2010 ML350.

There was a sheet in the box warning not to plug the LED's in too far such that the resistor above the contacts comes into contact with voltage plate in the socket. I found this difficult to avoid. If the LED isn't seated all the way, it feels too loose in the socket. Do the V3's have this issue as well? Why isn't there something glued to the circuit board in front of the resistor to protect it?

Yes, V3s have that issue as well. Its a strange design. I certainly hope mine aren't pressed too far in but I couldn't tell once it was installed. There's simply no way to know. I read it could reduce the life of the bulb so i'll just hang my hat on hope.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:11 AM

ML 350
Installed the LED side marker lights tonight. I replaced the amber bulb with a bright white but that was still too yellow'ish. AZN Optics suggested I install the V3s and that is what I did and I'm totally digging the clean, white look. Other than the fogs, I'm all done now.
Attached Thumbnails City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!-led-side-markers.jpg  

Last edited by Gridirongreat; 06-27-2014 at 01:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: City/Parking Lights are driving me crazy!!