M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New to MB. Just want to say hi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 MB ML550, 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+
New to MB. Just want to say hi...

Hello MB World...

Just want to say hi to you all. It's been a few months since I bought my first MB, a 2009 ML550 with about 65K miles.

Was in the market for a SUV and the ML won over Q7 (outdated wagon'y look, reliability issues), MDX (great value but not German), 550i GT (out of budget, already own a 550i), and X5 (want to experience another brand). I would have bought an MDX if not for the impulse purchase after seeing the Ad for this ML the day before.

I am happy with the purchase so far. Powerful engine and nice build quality. What I don't like is the beige interior. Overall, rating the vehicle on what I expected over what I got, I'd give a 8/10.

Since I bought the car, I have discovered some annoyances and 'German Engineering' issues. Which is pretty much why I registered here.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM

'09 ML550
Same car

Hi and welcome. I have the same vehicle -- '09 ML550 with about the same mileage, 101,000 km. Had it since new. Air suspension, AMG package. I had ongoing problems with the A/C until they finally fixed it last year (by replacing the entire unit, all sensors, all controls, the lot!), and problems with the sunroof 'bouncing back' when closing. Still not resolved, so I live with it. Otherwise, very reliable, just a few warranty issues, nothing to get excited about. I have grown to like the vehicle more with each passing month.

What "German engineering" issues have you had?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 AM

2009 MB ML550, 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Originally Posted by roadrutz

What "German engineering" issues have you had?
Noticed a few so far. Started a post on the first one. I'm still trying to get a feel/pattern on the others.

1. Lift gate opens but doesn't seem to have the 'strength' to close. Posted about the issue here.

2. Front end 'creaking' like an old wooden door when going over a bump. This issue can be reproduced under very specific conditions. It creaks over one certain bump at my home (may be because of how that bump undulates) and if I start braking 10-20 feet ahead of the bump and decelerate at a certain rate (probably from 30mph to 10mph) and be on the bump at ~5mph.

3. For the first time, I heard the front suspension area creaking when reversing the vehicle while the steering wheel is fully turned to the right (or left, I can't remember). I'm still trying to reproduce this issue.

4. I think I am hearing a short grinding noise when when it's shifting out of 1st gear. Happens mostly in the morning. I'm pretty sure it's grinding, I'm just trying to figure out the circumstances under which I can reproduce it.

5. 'Break wear' error in the dash. Replacing the break wear sensors fixed the issue.

Last edited by ghs235; 04-09-2015 at 12:49 PM.