M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rusty muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Rusty muffler

I am trying to detail my W164 and have a rusty muffler, as do many of these trucks.

Basically if you are in a car behind me and you look at my mufflers, the bottom side is completely rusty.

Some ideas I have thought of or looked up:

Paint the muffler - really like it to look original if possible, so only painting it silver will work. Although not sure what metal it is (stainless?) so not sure if the paint will stick well. I'd rather clean it then clear coat it somehow.

Wire brush in a drill - Not sure I want to clean up that entire muffler with a small brush, while lying on my back. It will take forever. And with a large surface area you'll definitely see inconsistencies where I brushed more or less in certain areas.

Wadding compound (used for chrome, etc) - doesn't work, tried it. Not abrasive enough

Metal polish - what kind and how? Can't see this working unless it's very strong/abrasive.

Rust converter/remover - I think Griots Garage and a few other companies make good rust remover/converters, but don't they leave the finish in 'ready for paint' condition requiring paint? I want to get rid of the rust but then leave the muffler the way it is (or clear coat it at most)

I'm seriously considering getting out my palm sander and an assorted pack of sandpaper. Start with highest grit and go lower till it starts actually taking off the rust. Then slowly move to higher grits again to finish it in a dull metal look which is probably what it looked like when new.

Any thoughts? Is it stainless and can I sand it?