M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Multiple issues possible SAM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
Multiple issues possible SAM?

See attached pics. I’m hoping someone will see something in these that may help.

My 2007 ML500 164.175 is having multiple issues that I think might be related to a SAM. The left low beam will not come on. The left front turn signal will not come on. The CEL light is on with a P0400 (malfunction of exhaust gas recirculation) and P0335 (crankshaft Position Sensor). The vehicle starts normally and runs normally.

I have checked the bulbs, headlight assembly for continuity, and voltages at the assembly. The bulbs were good, the continuity checked ok, the voltages at the high beams was above 12v but the low beams was 5v. I jumped the voltage from the high beam to the low beam and they functioned normally.

I suspect the CEL is associated but can’t confirm.

I would like to isolate this down to the proper SAM (if it is the SAM) to properly troubleshoot. But I have unsuccessfully been able to locate the proper SAM. Which SAM controls the headlights? How can I troubleshoot the SAM?

All help with this is greatly appreciated.

D Peach

Old 01-07-2018, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Did these multiple issues occur at the same time?
The following users liked this post:
D Peach (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM

ML500
Maj. Dundee,

Thank you for the help.

The simple answer is yes. But not immediately. The left beam went out and the CEL came on together. About a month later the front turn signal failed. And just yesterday I noticed the fog light is out also. Although I haven’t checked it to see if it’s anything other than a bulb.

Here’s the back story:

I installed XenonHID lights about six months ago and shortly after the main battery went dead followed by the auxiliary battery. I replaced the batteries and promptly disconnected the HIDs. The lights were still working at this time. Then a month later I replaced the headlight assemblies (due to hazing) and the following day the left low beam was out along with the CEL. I immediately suspected the light assembly, for the low beam, and checked it thoroughly for any defects and found none. All of the contacts seemed fine, the wiring was ringing true and physically it was identical. As for the CEL I only checked to see what codes it had but never associated it with the headlights. I’m still not sure they are associated.

David
Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500

There are two SAMS, front and rear. Which one are you referring to?

You are on your own on the headlamp problem. These retrofit installations usually don't go well.

Another thing you must keep in mind is that MLs from 2006-2009 had faulty tail lamp seals installed at the assembly plant which caused water entry into the spare tire area where the rear SAM is. You must remove the spare and everything else including the gray mat to investigate.

Do yourself a big favor and remove the right rear (passenger) tail lamp and you will see that the foam seal is glued to the tail lamp, but the seal is supposed to glued to the body instead. Even if there isn't any water entry, you should changed them anyway to prevent future damage because it will happen eventually.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Tail Lamp.PDF (98.0 KB, 341 views)
lord Jamall (12-28-2023)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM

ML500
Maj. Dundee. Thanks again for the info and the help.

I did figure out what was going on with the fog light. It was okay the whole time. The issue was when I had it disconnected and I applied power to the light. The SAM registers that as a fail and cuts the voltage.
I can’t say the same about the turn signal though as it flashes initially four times then stays steady on. Furthermore, I swapped light assemblies from right to left and now the left turn signal works normally but the right turn signal is doing what the left one was doing previously! I am confused with that one.
But when I had the light assemblies swapped the problem stayed on the left side so that brings me to my SAM and/ or a ground.
I am pulling the SAM out to look for obvious damage otherwise...How do I go about reprogramming the SAM? With as many anomolies as I’ve had I suspect a software issue. (If I understand SAMs fully). Otherwise, where can I purchase a quality SAM?

DPeach
Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Remove the SAM and remove the black plastic covers. Here are two videos, one is taking it apart but use round toothpicks in every segment to keep it open. The other video shows the results of water entry.

First find the problem and try to salvage the SAM.

lord Jamall (12-28-2023)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:18 PM

ML500
Once again Thank you for your help Maj. Dundee The issues have been resolved!

I removed the front SAM and took a close look at it and you can see from the picture there is some light corrosion on the back of the PCB. I inspected it with a 5X magnifier and except for some lint and dust it appeared clean. I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and cotton swabs. Reflowed it with the help of some YouTube videos. Checked all connectors for signs of arcing everything looked good so I put it back in and voila!
I am uncertain that the little bit of work that I did actually fixed it or that it may have been that I removed all power from the SAM causing it to “reset”. Or that these SAMs are just finicky! Anyway, i am happy to have it fixed saving me $1000s! Thanks again Maj. Dundee!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
As I have said previously, you had water intrusion and you had better change the tail lamp seals or it will occur again.
D Peach (02-16-2018)