M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Back glass shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350W2
Back glass shattered

New owner, new member, first post here. I'm from South Carolina, near Columbia. Stumbled upon a great deal, a one owner 2014 ML350 with 24,000 miles, perfect condition.

I signed the papers last Wednesday. I drove it to work Thursday & Friday. My wife and I took a day trip down to the SC coast Saturday to see the beach. We had a blast, it rides great, got great gas mileage.

Come out this morning to go to work and the rear glass falls in when I shut the door. I get out and there is no sign of anything that hit it. It is still dark outside so, I'm at a loss.

Its still drizzling rain, so I get a tarp and my wife helps me cover it up. I drive her F150 to work torn between wonder and anger. We get the insurance company involved, no deductible for glass here in SC, the only good news today, get a glass company scheduled to come out today and get it replaced.

Then, I get to work and search the internet for busted rear windows and low and behold there are a great number of people that have had a rear window just break nation wide!

I grew up working in my Fathers body shop. I'm familiar with what it takes to pop safety plate glass. This floored me. The car is outside, but this happens in a garage too.

This really seems like a defect in MB glass since I've seen rear windows take some serious hits and not break. Then again, a tweak on an edge or corner is rewarded with a boom.

This was not on the list of concerns I had with this used vehicle, but now it is...

How many others have had this happen or heard about it happening?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350W2
OK, after some investigation the afternoon of the breakage, I discovered several very large shards of glass away from the car. Large shards from safety plate glass are unusual to me as they are normally small cubes. My driveway is sand. Upon collecting the shards I noticed two, deep tracks from the front feet a very large Raccoon in the sand along with a trail of tracks heading towards the woods on a run. I had parked the car near two trees in front of the house the night before. My wife explains that she came into the den early that morning, still dark outside, and turned on the lights. Then she heard a loud thud in the front yard like something hitting the roof of the car. She went to the front door and turned on the porch light and saw nothing. Later I found the broken rear window. I think the Raccoon was napping in one of the trees and since the den curtains were open, the light came out and startled the animal. It looked down and saw white roof and white sand and just jumped. It landed on the passenger side edge of the rear glass and that's where the shards edges matched up to the replacement glass. So, my glass was broken by a large critter, not a faulty glass. I have read many stories about phantom glass breakage over the last few weeks. Until the new house & garage are finished, I will park where there are no trees...