M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI 4matic vibrations

Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI 4matic
Question 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI 4matic vibrations

Hi there. I'm a new member to MB World. My 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI SUV (with 143k miles) started to vibrate when I accelerated through the 3rd and 4th gear and then smooths down to no vibrations. I put 4 new tires and did the wheel balancing. Found out the Tire Pressure Monitors died or dying after installing the new tires (coincident?) but that is a different topic. The vibrations continued so I took it to my mechanic to service the transmission (change fluid and filter) and to test drive it. He took it for a test drive first and checked the computer for any messages about the vibrations and found none so he concluded it's in the transmission, the 3rd or 4th gear is going bad. The mechanic made sure there is plenty of transmission fluid but did not replace it! I searched this thread and others and found several potential solutions which I will try them all (if I have to) before I resort to overhauling the transmission which is very expensive. The vibrations I have sounds like driving over rumble strips. So far I heard, 1) Reset the transmission at least once per month or more, 2) bad axle joint, 3) bad engine/transmission mount, 4) bad drive shaft support coupling or bearing, 5) transmission control module needs updated, 6) bad torque converter, 7) check wheel balancing. Please feel free to add to or take away from this list... I will keep you updated once the problem is fixed. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 2009 CDI
Originally Posted by khaledmakni
Hi there. I'm a new member to MB World. My 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI SUV (with 143k miles) started to vibrate when I accelerated through the 3rd and 4th gear and then smooths down to no vibrations. I put 4 new tires and did the wheel balancing. Found out the Tire Pressure Monitors died or dying after installing the new tires (coincident?) but that is a different topic. The vibrations continued so I took it to my mechanic to service the transmission (change fluid and filter) and to test drive it. He took it for a test drive first and checked the computer for any messages about the vibrations and found none so he concluded it's in the transmission, the 3rd or 4th gear is going bad. The mechanic made sure there is plenty of transmission fluid but did not replace it! I searched this thread and others and found several potential solutions which I will try them all (if I have to) before I resort to overhauling the transmission which is very expensive. The vibrations I have sounds like driving over rumble strips. So far I heard, 1) Reset the transmission at least once per month or more, 2) bad axle joint, 3) bad engine/transmission mount, 4) bad drive shaft support coupling or bearing, 5) transmission control module needs updated, 6) bad torque converter, 7) check wheel balancing. Please feel free to add to or take away from this list... I will keep you updated once the problem is fixed. Thank you.
Vibrations? Did you check the engine supports and the transmission bearing? If one of this parts is broken or in bad condition, the vibration is sure.

Ask another mechanic to check parts 10 and 90 shown in the figure below:

Old 09-14-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320 cdi 2008
I have the exact identical car same miles and same problem. I was gonna look into replacing the driveshaft support baring. I called the dealer to get a part number and a price and the dealer said that the support bearing does not come separate. They said that it is one piece with the driveshaft. I cannot find the part separately. Any thoughts?