M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Possible Purchase

Hello Folks,

I plan on looking at a 2011 ML350 Bluetec. 171km, one owner. However, it comes with no service records. I plan on deleting emissions equipment, as our provincial government is scrapping E-tests. I also plan to replace oil cooler and oil cooler seals. Is there anything else that I should replace? Ie. waterpump and t-stat, etc.?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Sounds like you are describing Ontario (where I am located)

I wouldn't mess with the emissions equipment.. I have 330km on my 2007 and no problems at all.. just leave it as is.

First check if the oil cooler is actually leaking. With 171k maybe the previous owner had it done already. If it doesn't leak badly then don't bother.

I still have the original water pump on mine.

I would look at: idler pulleys & tensioner (just replace them all if they don't look new), poly v belt at same time, struts(front) and air bags(rear) - replace if they look original.. mine all failed within the same month.. right around 200k km.

Hit the throttle hard from a stop and listen for a sound that sounds like the top of the roller coaster.. chain slipping on gears. If so get a used transfer case and replace.

Can't think of anything else major. Do a full service (air filters, fuel filter,etc) so you have a fresh start (baseline) and can start tracking future service. I would do a transmission service since it was due at 160k and you don't know if it was done. Same with radiator flush (15 yrs/150km) as it may not have been done. If you have blue coolant in the system then it was done for sure, if any other color (wheat/beige colored was original) then do it now.

I bought mine 7 years ago with 170k and now have 330km.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by bha
Sounds like you are describing Ontario (where I am located)

I wouldn't mess with the emissions equipment.. I have 330km on my 2007 and no problems at all.. just leave it as is.

First check if the oil cooler is actually leaking. With 171k maybe the previous owner had it done already. If it doesn't leak badly then don't bother.

I still have the original water pump on mine.

I would look at: idler pulleys & tensioner (just replace them all if they don't look new), poly v belt at same time, struts(front) and air bags(rear) - replace if they look original.. mine all failed within the same month.. right around 200k km.

Hit the throttle hard from a stop and listen for a sound that sounds like the top of the roller coaster.. chain slipping on gears. If so get a used transfer case and replace.

Can't think of anything else major. Do a full service (air filters, fuel filter,etc) so you have a fresh start (baseline) and can start tracking future service. I would do a transmission service since it was due at 160k and you don't know if it was done. Same with radiator flush (15 yrs/150km) as it may not have been done. If you have blue coolant in the system then it was done for sure, if any other color (wheat/beige colored was original) then do it now.

I bought mine 7 years ago with 170k and now have 330km.
Thank you for the reply! I will be looking at it today. It was too cold yesterday.