M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML-320 "Growling" when accelerating, especially going uphill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLE 350
ML-320 "Growling" when accelerating, especially going uphill

I have a 2009 ML-320 BlueTEC 4matic which has started to "growl" and vibrate while accelerating. This happens especially while going up inclines. I'm not sure what to do but I use it to transport passengers and the noise is starting to get annoying. I don't have any idea what it is. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

*sorry, I originally put this question in the wrong thread.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by highlandlimo
I have a 2009 ML-320 BlueTEC 4matic which has started to "growl" and vibrate while accelerating. This happens especially while going up inclines. I'm not sure what to do but I use it to transport passengers and the noise is starting to get annoying. I don't have any idea what it is. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

*sorry, I originally put this question in the wrong thread.
Have you had al the normal issues with the bluetec?

Engine mounts melt in this car....have you checked that?
Also could be the harmonic balancer or vibration damper
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLE 350
I have not had any problems since I bought the vehicle. I am not sure what problems it had before I bought it, but the growling is the only problem I have had. I haven't done anything to try to alleviate the problem.

I did go to a local tech who told me that there has been a TBH? (technical bulletin) sent out by Mercedes which tries to address this problem. What he said is that they do not know what the problem is and the only thing they recommend doing is replacing everything revolving around the transmission. The tech said he can perform a full system flush and clean some solenoids first, then maybe change the torque converter and see if that helps. If nothing helps then I might have to change out everything.

I don't know much more than that.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Oké.

Well this car loves highway miles and driving a lot, and I assume you run a limo hire car service which is a perfect fit.

This is a doom and gloom article but do read it. It is highly relevant. http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Tsb can be looked up online on the nhtsa website.

You can try the tranny flush, but I would chdck the engine mounts, harmonic balancer and pulleys for wear. Hook it up to a computer and check if any codes are present.
The following users liked this post:
highlandlimo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320
Growling

Originally Posted by highlandlimo

*soU rry, I originally put this question in the wrong thread.
i had the growling especially when I bumped the cruise control up 10km at a time. Took it in for a transmission fluid change. Found there was a hole in the pan and it was low. Incredible difference now! Did not see any fluid on the driveway! Also added an anti shutter fluid!