M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

SRS + Trunk opening when car is started

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 550
Lightbulb SRS + Trunk opening when car is started

My ML 550 is a great machine and I love it, but now I have a few issues after going up north in the cold workinjg there for 4 months.

1) SRS code is on the dash

2) The tailgate opens when the ignition is fired

3) My battery is draining fast. Went through 2 batteries in 5 days.

Would like your input, guy. Thank you so much.

This mechanic says he worked for MB for 5 years and it's an easy fix but he says he won't touch it until I run diagnostics on it from MB.

Where do I start please? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
What is the message on the dash?

During your 4 month stay, did it rain heavily at any time?

You must own your own scanner. Without one, everything is guesswork.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM

2008 ML 550
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
What is the message on the dash?

During your 4 month stay, did it rain heavily at any time?

You must own your own scanner. Without one, everything is guesswork.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MD802-M...unctional/dp/B
Thank you for the reply. Now after replacing the battery, SRS, ABS and ESP stay on. It says something about the brake switch. I have searched here but I cannot locate the switch in my car.

It rained quite a bit. It used to open the trunk by itself when the car starts. Now it doesn't do it at all.

Also, it seems I leaked power steering fluid and I need to find out where the leak is coming from. My power steering rack is fully damaged unfortunately. Will need to be replaced, but I need to find out where the leak is coming from.

so here are my issues:

1. ABS/ESP/SRS light is on
2. Power steering fluid leak
3. Power steering rack needs replacement
4. Trunk tailgate to fix

I can't do this at the dealership at all. That would cost me around 5k and I know those are simple issues.

My plan is to get a Euro mechanic to diagnose and tell me what needs to be done. SOme I will do myself, but others I will have to take to a local euro shop and pay them instead.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:32 PM

2008 ML 550
Update:

Had my neighbor recommend me to his mechanic. The guy is a genius. Dealer and German shop wanted 4800 and 4200 to fix my car.

The guy came and drove my car and could tell the codes right away. He told me my symptoms exactly and what they related to. He went underneath the car and spent 1 hour and explained the whole process smoothly. He told me exactly what to buy. What I needed now and what can wait maybe a few months to fix. My total for parts at FCPeuro is at 700 (well, I added oil change and filter, and I decided to replace my power steering reservoir so I don't have to worry about leaks any sooner. So, here is the list:

PS pump
Right font axle
Right front axle axle speed sensor
Front axle nut
Mercedes VW Axle Shaft Seal - Corteco 1643370159
Rear brake pad set
Mercedes Steering Gear O-Ring

All in all, I had a blown pump, a pressure hose leak that was causing me to lose PS fluid.

Then, my right front axle was blown and speed sensor needed replacement as well.

My trunk needs a new pump.

He charged me 100$ for all the diagnostics and will charge me 500 labor since he says that will take him about 6-8 hours to fix and drive.

I am in FLorida so if any of you needs him, just drop me a dm or quote me in here. So happy that my car will finally be fixed.

Thanks to everybody that has been lots of help on here. FCP Euro is clutch. You can't beat lifetime warranty. So my brakes and everything are for free replacement which makes me the happiest man so far