M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear SAM Leak Source

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 CDI (w164)
Rear SAM Leak Source

Hi - my husband has a 2007 ML320 CDI (w164) and has the rear SAM unit leak issue. We went to the dealer and they said it was the taillight gasket causing the leak and fixed the taillight issue. Didn't work and was still leaking the next time it rains (which is not often in Arizona..lol) take it back in and they checked everything they could think of but they couldn't get it to leak. Next rain guess what happens?? Leaked again. It seems to only leak when it is actually raining out and not when you go thru a car wash 4 times or pressure washing for 6 minutes at a time like the dealership said they did. Dealer said maybe the window is leaking, so we took it to a window place and they said nothing wrong with the windows and they couldn't get it to leak either. Advised the dealer and they said maybe the roof racks are leaking (no water on the ceiling or sides inside the vehicle) and that will cost 320 dollars to take the headliner down (it's all one solid piece) to check. it doesn't leak on the other side either, no wet spots except where the rear SAM is located but seems that the leak comes down from the top wiring and drips down. Can anyone else think of ANYTHING else that would be leaking? I am at a loss, don't want to spend 1K on a new rear SAM at the dealer and it is supposed to rain again next week :-(. Thank you for any assistance.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
call 1-800-mercedes explain your dealer problem
Old 10-03-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 350
Mine is 2008 ML350, and had a leak into rear SAM. Had to replace rear SAM and reprogram at the dealer.
The leak was from tailgate power lift arm assembly where rubber boot meets the body of the car. One of the bolt snapped on lift gate arm and I must have moved the boot when I was replacing the bolt.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Water leak

Originally Posted by ldwuollet
Hi - my husband has a 2007 ML320 CDI (w164) and has the rear SAM unit leak issue. We went to the dealer and they said it was the taillight gasket causing the leak and fixed the taillight issue. Didn't work and was still leaking the next time it rains (which is not often in Arizona..lol) take it back in and they checked everything they could think of but they couldn't get it to leak. Next rain guess what happens?? Leaked again. It seems to only leak when it is actually raining out and not when you go thru a car wash 4 times or pressure washing for 6 minutes at a time like the dealership said they did. Dealer said maybe the window is leaking, so we took it to a window place and they said nothing wrong with the windows and they couldn't get it to leak either. Advised the dealer and they said maybe the roof racks are leaking (no water on the ceiling or sides inside the vehicle) and that will cost 320 dollars to take the headliner down (it's all one solid piece) to check. it doesn't leak on the other side either, no wet spots except where the rear SAM is located but seems that the leak comes down from the top wiring and drips down. Can anyone else think of ANYTHING else that would be leaking? I am at a loss, don't want to spend 1K on a new rear SAM at the dealer and it is supposed to rain again next week :-(. Thank you for any assistance.
water is conning in through the cracked seam sealer that covers the spot welds that job the roof panel to side panels. Old seam sealer must be scrapped of and body panel bonding must be applied in its place. Out took my shop over 10 hours of dismantling and water testing to find the problem.
leak

Last edited by agcustomz; 08-03-2020 at 06:38 PM.