M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

AAMCO Oil Change and CEL ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 4MATIC
AAMCO Oil Change and CEL ?

Hello Everyone. I'm Rob, newcomer to MBWorld and to owning a Mercedes. I just purchased a 2010 ML350 4MATIC which sporadically displays a Check Engine light. I have read and cleared the code a couple times and it has always been P0019 – Crankshaft position/camshaft position, bank 2 sensor B -correlation. It does not illuminate and stay on, but is on about half of the time I have driven the vehicle. I have not been able to notice any difference in how it runs or performs when it is illuminated nor been able to identify what conditions, if any, cause it to illuminate. I have not attempted to read codes without the Check Engine light illuminated to see if it still comes up as stored or something like that. Something which makes me think this problem might have been ongoing for some time is that in the glovebox when I bought the truck was a new boxed part, Magnetic Sensor - Mercedes-Benz (272-051-01-77), aka Camshaft Adjuster Magnet. From the articles I have read here I think that part would be more correlated with P0012, P0015, P0022, and P0025, I may be wrong. However I think that part is still associated with the camshaft and the P0019 code I am occasionally receiving. The previous owner purchasing that part was probably not a coincidence. I hope my post is making sense and I'm not jumping around too much. Ok, while speaking with my Father, who is very knowledgable in all things mechanical, he mentioned that several of his vehicles are VERY picky when it comes to oil. He has had vehicles demonstrate similar behavior if the incorrect or poor quality oil has been made use of. The CARFAX for my truck shows an oil change performed last month locally at AAMCO. There is also a little sticker on my windshield indicating the same thing. So today I went to AAMCO and spoke with the mechanics about the oil change. They explained to me that they use Service Pro products at their shop and allowed me to take pictures of the supplies they made use of for my truck. I have never heard of Service Pro products and so have no opinion yet about their quality. It does state that it meets the requirements for Mercedes Benz on the label, just like MOBIL 1 does on it's label. The gentleman opened the filter box for me and showed me that it came with 4 or 5 (I can't recall) o-rings which he quickly explained to me the purposes for. I plan on performing future oil changes myself using MOBIL 1 Full Synthetic oil and I have yet to research filters for my truck. So, after all the hopefully pertinent information I have just typed does anyone have an opinion on whether the use of these products could be causing my intermittent P0019 code showing up? Should I change the oil again making use of MOBIL 1? Should I consider replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor associated with the code? Should I just give it more time? For all I know this truck could have been doing this same thing for years. My truck has almost 110,000 miles and is beautiful, inside and out. She runs smoothly and quietly and I think I made a decent buy at $10,300. (I really hope so.) I posted a quick picture of her in the "New Members Check In" forum last night. So enough of me rambling on, I apologize if this wasn't the most direct way to ask a question. I hope I provided enough information and if more is needed for anyone to provide me their opinion please ask. Thanks for reading my little story about my first Mercedes Check Engine Light. I appreciate any input provided.

Last edited by CW3Rob; 01-24-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
CW3Rob, I know you are a new member but it is very difficult to read a uni-runon paragraph, so, paragraphs please.

You will have to check the basic position of the camshafts on the driver's side. If the buttons do not fall in exactly you have a problem with the cam. adjusters or a stretched chain. That's why the previous owner sold the car and that's why you found the part in the glove compartment.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 4MATIC
Maj. Dundee, thank you very much for the response and information. A few of questions about the inspection:

I found this video which seems to show the power steering reservoir removal and replacement quite well:

From what I have read here and according to the above linked video the removal of the power steering reservoir, even with leaving all lines attached, requires it to be drained due to the clipped connection on the back side, correct?

Once the marks are lined up on the crankshaft and the two hall sensors are removed exposing the buttons what am I looking for? Is there a certain alignment the printing on the buttons should be in, or when you say "fall in exactly" what do you mean?

When reinstalling the hall sensors it states to replace the sealing ring. Is that the part number printed in blue to the right in the directions you provided?

I saw there is an o-ring necessary to replace when reinstalling the power steering reservoir. I will most likely have to order any necessary items by mail since there is no local dealership. I guess I will check with the typical parts places in case they happen to have what I will need. Are there any other seals or items which will need to be replaced in doing this inspection?

Is this the kind of problem which could exist for years without doing much more than occasionally illuminating the check engine light, or not that kind of problem? (I understand this is a rather vague question)

And I'm not sure if you would want to weigh in on this, but since the financing paperwork is still pending a few things before it can be finalized I could still probably walk away from the purchase of this vehicle. I'm sure it would disgruntle the dealership very much but I would have to live with that. With just the information I have presented so far would you recommend this vehicle? Again I understand this is just an opinion, but from the many postings of yours I have read you seem to be quite the subject matter expert.

Thank you again for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CW3Rob; 01-24-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
When reinstalling the hall sensors it states to replace the sealing ring. Is that the part number printed in blue to the right in the directions you provided? No, look at parts attachment.

I saw there is an o-ring necessary to replace when reinstalling the power steering reservoir. I will most likely have to order any necessary items by mail since there is no local dealership. I guess I will check with the typical parts places in case they happen to have what I will need. Are there any other seals or items which will need to be replaced in doing this inspection? Look at parts attachment.

Is this the kind of problem which could exist for years without doing much more than occasionally illuminating the check engine light, or not that kind of problem? (I understand this is a rather vague question) If you do not address the problem now, more damage could occur.

And I'm not sure if you would want to weigh in on this, but since the financing paperwork is still pending a few things before it can be finalized I could still probably walk away from the purchase of this vehicle. I'm sure it would disgruntle the dealership very much but I would have to live with that. With just the information I have presented so far would you recommend this vehicle? Again I understand this is just an opinion, but from the many postings of yours I have read you seem to be quite the subject matter expert. If you can get out of it, GET OUT OF IT.