M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

BACKUP CAMERA PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
09 ML350, 98 SLK
Red face BACKUP CAMERA PROBLEMS

I recently acquired a 2009 ML350 in decent condition, except that the backup camera, external hatch open handle, and the license plate lights were inop. The bulbs were good and the fuses were OK, so I took off the RR inner panel and discovered that the dreaded rear water leak had corroded part of the Rear SAM.circuit board as well the harness plug coming from the rear tailgate. This plug was so severely corroded that 5 of the male pins from the SAM receptacle broke off in the plug when I unhooked it. Hence I was forced to buy a used replacement rear SAM. I cleaned out the plug, removed the broken pins and installed the new-used rear SAM. Now the license plate lights and rear hatch release are working, but still no image from camera on radio display. I checked the camera wiring inside the tailgate, and its clean and dry with a tight connector. The camera power module inside, behind the left rear wheel well is also clean and dry, with clean connectors. I tried to scan the camera control module (which is supposedly under the driver's seat!) with a Vident scanner running some "Chinese" Benz software, but the scanner says "no communication with camera module." I don't have a Star tool nor access to Benz data. Can anyone PLEASE send me a wiring diagram for the backup camera so I can trace the wiring from camera to COMAND head unit? Thanks in advance...