M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Installing OEM rocker panels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 ML 350
Installing OEM rocker panels

Replaced the OEM Running Boards with OEM Rocker Panels. The running boards were hitting out legs every time we got out of the car thus making the back side of our pant leg dirty. Plus, they made entering the car difficult for my wife. And as you know, a happy wife is a happy life! Here are a few pictures. Removal was easy and installing the rocker panels was very easy. Probably took maybe 3 to 4 hours total time. Followed several youtube videos and several threads on this wonderful forum.

Before removal.

Running Board cover removed by the 5 screws and the push pins at the front and rear wheels

The substructure and plastic under the body removed by removing the 10 metal nuts on the side and 6 plastic nuts on the bottom.

There she is, naked as a jay bird!

Using the metal nuts, the two plastic pieces were installed on the side.

The jack pads were removed from the running boards and installed in the original place after the rubber plug was removed.

The rocker panel was fitted over the two plastic pieces and the plastic nuts installed on the bottom. Oh, the doors have to be opened to accomplished this.

Push pins reinstalled on the front and rear wheel well.

Not bad looking. But the entering and exiting is so much easier now.
The following users liked this post:
'93 300ce (01-23-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML 350 4Matic, 2006 C 230 Sport
Nice write-up on the procedure.

I bought my 2010 ML 350 4Matic last Friday. By Saturday afternoon I had decided that I need to do the same thing and get rid of the running boards.

Where did you get the rails, end pieces, and paneling?

Did you go new or used?

How much did you have to pay for the parts?

Did you need to buy any nuts or pins, or were you able to just use the old hardware.

I did some research on the major parts and I think these are the parts I need except for that mounting wedge (see quote below). The quote below is from the local M-B dealer and it shows the prices from them. I found a different car parts store who are about $130 less than the M-B dealer, but I would need to drive about an hour to pick up the parts. They want about $400 for shipping, so an hour drive each way is definitely worth it to me for free curbside pick up.

Can anybody verify that these are the parts/numbers that I need for my 2010 ML 350 4Matic? The local dealer said he couldn't guarantee fitment of these parts on my vehicle, since he could only look up my VIN and see what was used for my vehicle's original build.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 ML 350
James
I bought the complete assembly, (left &right side) off of eBay for $240 shipped from a junk yard. The assembly came off a 2007 ML 350, but from my understanding it should fit ML's from 2007 to 2011. I used the old hardware, the push pins, nuts and plastic nuts off the running boards to install. When you remove yours, you'll notice rubber stoppers under the car, 2 on each side. Remove these, as these are holes the jack pads (removed from the running boards), fit into. Its a pretty simple swap out. It easier to install the rocker panel than taking the running boards off! Oh, there are 5 #20 torqx screws that need to be removed to get the skin off as seen in the first picture.
To me, the $700 is to much unless you just want new. I cleaned mine up, sprayed a little semigloss black and am very pleased with the turn out. While I had the paint can in my hand, I masked off the front and rear silver bumperette pieces and sprayed them semigloss black. That's the only thing I don't like about the ML's, is that silver piece front and rear in the middle of the black bottom.
Good luck with your project. There are several videos on youTube. Just follow them in reverse! Later, Be safe, Eddie
Old 01-27-2021, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
If you find them used and faded, the "bumper black" spray paint works wonders on these.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 AM

I'm going with the new rocker panels

Thanks guys. I couldn't find any panels that I felt were in good enough condition and a good deal on eBay. Also, nobody on eBay seemed to be giving away any of the small parts. I didn't see anybody selling all the parts in one bundle either, so I just ordered all new parts from a European auto parts store here in Ohio. The cost for all the new parts is $535.52 (tax included). They said that I can expect to pick them up on February 4.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:26 PM

Broke important bolt

I got all the parts to install the new rocker panels. I removed the passenger rocker board and rocker board mounting bracket. Everything was going smooth so I decided to take a nap. After my nap, I got back out in the garage and was going to remove both jack pad extension brackets. The first nut I went after to remove was the front nut on the front bracket. I was using my impact wrench to remove the nuts and accidentally had the wrench on tighten (I must have been still asleep). That twisted off the nut real fast by breaking the bolt. Of course this looks to be the most important bolt of them all and I'm pretty mad at myself.

I'm not seeing any way to access the back of the bolt to replace it. Does anybody have any ideas of getting to this so I don't need to drill it out and use a sheet-metal screw?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
It's a welded stud, don't worry about it. You've got the other nuts and rivets to hold the trim in place.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
It's a welded stud, don't worry about it. You've got the other nuts and rivets to hold the trim in place.
Thanks for the welded stud info. If I have to miss one of them, I sure wish it wasn't this one.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes 2013 S350; 2014 E250; 2015 GL350; 2005 SL500; 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Rocker Panels 2015 GL350

My 2015 GL350 had illuminated running boards installed originally; however, the previous owner removed them and had them replaced them with original rocker panels. When I bought the vehicle in 2018 I had the dealer remove the OEM rocker panels and had them replaced with the OEM illuminated running boards. So I have a set of OEM rocker panels for sale. I am in Long Beach, CA.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by ianlp
My 2015 GL350 had illuminated running boards installed originally; however, the previous owner removed them and had them replaced them with original rocker panels. When I bought the vehicle in 2018 I had the dealer remove the OEM rocker panels and had them replaced with the OEM illuminated running boards. So I have a set of OEM rocker panels for sale. I am in Long Beach, CA.
That would be a 166 chassis, this is the 164 forum.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Got my panels installed

Here are before and after photos:

Before with the old boards

After with the new panels

It probably took me about 4-hours for the first side (with me doing some non-productive dinking around), but the second side took only maybe an hour. The fitment was very good with the new M-B parts and I'm glad that I went with new panels instead of used. The ledge on the panels was wider than I had originally thought. With the panels being about half as wide as the boards, the panels definitely make it easier for me to get in and out. I am happy that I made the switch and I think it looks better, too.

The board mounting brackets appear to be different on mine vs. Eddie's. The brackets off mine were just one piece on each side.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by OhioJames
Here are before and after photos:

Before with the old boards

After with the new panels

It probably took me about 4-hours for the first side (with me doing some non-productive dinking around), but the second side took only maybe an hour. The fitment was very good with the new M-B parts and I'm glad that I went with new panels instead of used. The ledge on the panels was wider than I had originally thought. With the panels being about half as wide as the boards, the panels definitely make it easier for me to get in and out. I am happy that I made the switch and I think it looks better, too.

The board mounting brackets appear to be different on mine vs. Eddie's. The brackets off mine were just one piece on each side.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:06 PM

Parts List Update

Originally Posted by OhioJames

I'm not certain how the two end pieces got on the parts list, but they were not needed with those panels on the parts list..

I didn't buy the mounting wedge. Probably only need the wedge if you need to depress the clips to remove the panels.