M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear SAM vacant socket, remote key issues, rear door issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 Bluetec
Rear SAM vacant socket, remote key issues, rear door issues

Hi, I have a 2010 ML350 Bluetec.

-My remote key pretty much works when it wants to. Sometimes I find myself pressing on the door lock/open buttons repeatedly before it finally works. The trunk button never works, and has never worked since I bought the car. Changed the batteries but it's still the same.

- Also, my right rear door window doesn't work, both from the rear door button and the driver's side master control. And sometimes the door doesn't lock or unlock even when all other doors lock or unlock, both from the remote key and the driver side master control. I have checked the window motor and it is fine, but it seems to not be getting any power from somewhere. Even the door lamp is always off.

- Because of these issues, I began suspecting the rear SAM.

- I ran a scan and got a bunch of rear SAM error codes, mostly dealing with open circuits. The trunk and right rear door had error codes under the SAM when I scanned.

- My SAM is under the rear right passenger seat, not the trunk, so there is no sign of water or dirt there.

- I was going to remove it and inspect the inside, but then I noticed a vacant socket... like where there is supposed to be a connector plugged in, but there was none. I have looked all over to find any unplugged connector but i can't find any. Is this normal? Or should there be a connector plugged into all sockets on the rear SAM? Please see the pic below with the arrow pointing to the open socket.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
When there is a vacant connector it means that that connector is used for another model with different features.

What are the codes that were stored?

What is your vin#?

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 05-04-2021 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpikeJones (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 AM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
When there is a vacant connector it means that that connector is used for another model with different features.

What are the codes that were stored?

What is your vin#?
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along those lines as well... probably an option my SUV doesn't have. I hope that's what it is.

Here's the VIN: 4JGBB2FB4AA602852

As for the codes, made an error in the initial post... some rear right door codes show up in the front SAM as well, not just the rear. They deal with the rear right power window. The rear SAM has a bunch of codes dealing with taillights and rear right and tailgate locks, but my taillights work just fine so I'm confused. They are mostly stored but they come back after being cleared. I've attached screenshots of both SAM codes. The first 2 screenshots are from the rear SAM, and the last screenshot is from the front SAM.

Rear SAM codes

Rear SAM codes continued

Front SAM codes

Last edited by SpikeJones; 05-06-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by SpikeJones
Hi, I have a 2010 ML350 Bluetec.

-My remote key pretty much works when it wants to. Sometimes I find myself pressing on the door lock/open buttons repeatedly before it finally works. The trunk button never works, and has never worked since I bought the car. Changed the batteries but it's still the same.

- Also, my right rear door window doesn't work, both from the rear door button and the driver's side master control. And sometimes the door doesn't lock or unlock even when all other doors lock or unlock, both from the remote key and the driver side master control. I have checked the window motor and it is fine, but it seems to not be getting any power from somewhere. Even the door lamp is always off.

- Because of these issues, I began suspecting the rear SAM.

- I ran a scan and got a bunch of rear SAM error codes, mostly dealing with open circuits. The trunk and right rear door had error codes under the SAM when I scanned.

- My SAM is under the rear right passenger seat, not the trunk, so there is no sign of water or dirt there.

- I was going to remove it and inspect the inside, but then I noticed a vacant socket... like where there is supposed to be a connector plugged in, but there was none. I have looked all over to find any unplugged connector but i can't find any. Is this normal? Or should there be a connector plugged into all sockets on the rear SAM? Please see the pic below with the arrow pointing to the open socket.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Your present front SAM part #164 440 41 01 is no longer in the Mercedes EPC data base.

According to you vin#, the correct part # should be 164 540 65 01.

Did you recently buy this car?

SpikeJones (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 12:58 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
Your present front SAM part #164 440 41 01 is no longer in the Mercedes EPC data base.

According to you vin#, the correct part # should be 164 540 65 01.

Did you recently buy this car?

Yeah, I've only owned the car for a couple of months. But no, I don't think the car you pulled up in EPC is mine... my car is a 2010 ML350 Bluetec... the one in your diagram is an ML500. And that's weird because when I pulled up that same VIN on my EPC, it's showing me my car (ML350) and a different part number than what yours is pulling up... check out the image below:

Either way, assuming my front SAM isn't in the EPC database, are you suggesting that the part needs to be replaced with the updated part that's now in EPC?

What about the rear SAM? Is mine showing up in EPC or is there a different part as well?

Last edited by SpikeJones; 05-06-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
The photo of the SAM you posted, is it the front or rear SAM?
SpikeJones (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:12 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
The photo of the SAM you posted, is it the front or rear SAM?
I posted a photo of the rear SAM...

See the edited version of my previous reply... I've included a photo of my car on my EPC database showing the front SAM and part number

Last edited by SpikeJones; 05-06-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
I posted a photo of the rear SAM...

See the edited version of my previous reply... I've included a photo of my car on my EPC database showing the front SAM and part number
According to your vin# this is part # for the rear SAM.

Here is a copy of your Data Card.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Java Printing.pdf (50.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:06 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
According to your vin# this is part # for the rear SAM.

Here is a copy of your Data Card.

Thanks a lot. Very very helpful. But after looking at the diagram photo and the data card, I still can't seem to figure out if there is supposed to be an empty socket on the rear SAM.

But based on the codes I posted earlier, do you think the rear and front SAM might be the culprits for the faulty rear door/window and remote not being able to open the trunk?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Thanks a lot. Very very helpful. But after looking at the diagram photo and the data card, I still can't seem to figure out if there is supposed to be an empty socket on the rear SAM.

But based on the codes I posted earlier, do you think the rear and front SAM might be the culprits for the faulty rear door/window and remote not being able to open the trunk?
Spike, if you do not see any connectors lying around then it is not used.

Here is a photo of an early SAM and as you can see, conn. A & H are not used.

Ken Ngo (05-08-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 03:33 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
Spike, if you do not see any connectors lying around then it is not used.

Here is a photo of an early SAM and as you can see, conn. A & H are not used.

Fair enough, thanks. Going to have to trace some wires to determine why I'm getting all these codes and faulty locks. If nothing obvious, then I guess I'll replace both SAMs and hope it works.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 - ML 350 4Matic
Thank you guys! I have 2011 ML350 4Matic gasoline with the same rear door issues. I think there may be some water issue with my rear SAM. I'll take things apart to take a closer look and post some pictures later. Fault code: "Component M51/1(Rear door hydraulic pump) has a malfunction. There is an open circuit" If you guys have information about this please let me know.
My VIN: 4JGBB8GB8BA659767

I couldn't start my car 2 days ago, cranking but no start, I don't know if no start and open circuit in rear SAM are related. Although, front SAM has another error code: "Component F58kH(Circut 15 relay) is defective or missing, or the feed line has Open Circut"
Old 05-08-2021, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 - ML 350 4Matic
There seems to be some glue on two areas circled in red on the rear SAM as you can see in the picture below. I used contact cleaner and alcohol and acetone to clean the areas but they did not go away easily. I used a toothpick to aid and I think I got most if not all of the glue out. No idea why or how the glue got on the rear SAM in the first place. After that, the Fault code is still there: "Component M51/1(Rear door hydraulic pump) has a malfunction. There is an open circuit".

Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Empty socket could be for trailer wiring