M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need new brake pads and rotors, OEM or alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2021 | 03:06 PM

2011 ML350
Need new brake pads and rotors, OEM or alternative?

So wanted to know if there are any good alternative brands I can put on for pads and rotors versus OEM for my rear brakes.
On my E90 BMW I switched over to Zimmermann rotors ,which are the BMW brand, and Akebono pads. Works just as well if not better and less brake dust.
Does Mercedes Benz have an equivalent? Sorry doing some searching now as well.
Old 07-13-2021 | 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
OEM Fu the mongolin crap
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:07 AM

ML350 2009 CDI
I use Textar pads and Textar sensors in my car. No problems running in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguai and Chile for 120.000 Km, from Ushuaia to Amazon, sometimes in very very very bad roads. My rotors are Fremax, but you can use Zimmerman or ATE.
Old 09-07-2021 | 08:36 PM

2006 ML350
I've actually been looking into replacing my pads with Ceramic pads. Anyone have any experience with these, and what any pros and cons may be? I've heard they last a lot longer, some even have lifetime warranties? Details anyone?
Old 09-21-2021 | 09:14 PM

ml 320
Originally Posted by Skybase
I've actually been looking into replacing my pads with Ceramic pads. Anyone have any experience with these, and what any pros and cons may be? I've heard they last a lot longer, some even have lifetime warranties? Details anyone?
Ya they last a lot longer , they also chew the livin $chit out of your rotors because they are rock hard
Old 09-22-2021 | 05:27 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Tenaclubs
Ya they last a lot longer , they also chew the livin $chit out of your rotors because they are rock hard
This is the kind of info I was wondering about. I see them often sold with new rotors as well, wasn't sure if there was something special about the rotors. Obviously didn't think they could be ceramic, so.... but this makes sense.. .have pads that last forever but tear the **** out of my rotors..probably not a great tradeoff....
Old 09-25-2021 | 05:04 PM

ml 320
Originally Posted by Skybase
This is the kind of info I was wondering about. I see them often sold with new rotors as well, wasn't sure if there was something special about the rotors. Obviously didn't think they could be ceramic, so.... but this makes sense.. .have pads that last forever but tear the **** out of my rotors..probably not a great tradeoff....
It's this, you don't get something for nothing. if they last longer they are harder and wear your rotors. I typically change out rotors when hey look like they need to be cut or they are warped. You cut them once and hit one real hard stop, you will warp them every time. Either that or you have a raw egg taped to your brake pedal. If they are harder they could have a higher operating temperature, meaning you may have to nail them harder to make them work right, just wears your rotors faster. Just get factory equivalent replacements.
Old 09-25-2021 | 07:25 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Tenaclubs
It's this, you don't get something for nothing. if they last longer they are harder and wear your rotors. I typically change out rotors when hey look like they need to be cut or they are warped. You cut them once and hit one real hard stop, you will warp them every time. Either that or you have a raw egg taped to your brake pedal. If they are harder they could have a higher operating temperature, meaning you may have to nail them harder to make them work right, just wears your rotors faster. Just get factory equivalent replacements.
This, of course, makes sense. I think that way back I used to think that somehow it was a combination pads/rotors upgrade that worked together, but knowing better and thinking about it this all just makes sense. even for daily light brakers, still going to have this issue. I guess the only benefit I'd see (and again still hard on rotors) is maybe not getting as hot or catching fire if long-braking down say a pass maybe? Even that...I dunno. I'll stick to Factory equivalent. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Tenaclubs (09-25-2021)