M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Fuel Pump Wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2021 | 12:18 PM

2007 ML 350
Fuel Pump Wires

So in the midst of changing my fuel pump today, I've notice that the wires that I assume are for the fuel pump gauge (fuel pump side) seem to be randomly stripped along the wire, even down into the tank. I've attached two pictures so you can see even the wire in the tank. It's obvious that these are rotted, but is this not a severe fire hazard? I cannot find how to replace this wire nor how to purchase it (other than calling MB). Oddly enough the gauge is the ONE THING on that damn pump that was working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have new filter and pump that will be installed as soon as I pump out this tank.

Old 10-31-2021 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Before you do anything, separate those two wires so they cannot touch each other. Are there bare wires showing?

Turn the key on and check fuse 57 Cargo Area fuse box.

Old 10-31-2021 | 03:29 PM

2007 ML 350
Yes sir so much of the wire has rotted. Oddly enough before I removed it, I did have full power on fuse #57. I'm not sure how it was operational that way, perhaps it wasn't an just giving a faulty reading on the gauge. I had someone else tell me that wire is coming from the fuel filter, and will come with a new one attached, which should be here tomorrow. If that's the case I'll be thrilled. I have of course disconnected the battery before I began. I've decided to pump out the tank to make sure I've done a thorough job. I have pulled all fuses, all of them, and sanded and cleaned with contact cleaner. I've tested and all relays are good. I'm hopeful that this pump and filter will solve my issues.

Thank you so much for looking at my post Maj Dundee. I will post a follow up tomorrow (time for the kids to go trick or treating :P)