M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Fuel Filter Connector - How to Get Off? 06 ML500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too many to list. All MBs
Question Fuel Filter Connector - How to Get Off? 06 ML500

IMHO, most of the trouble, hold ups, in my time working on Mercedes have been problems with connectors. If you look in WIS, it usually just says something like disconnect the tube, with no detail and no picture. If you get lucky someone has done the job on YouTube and will show how to get the connector off. I've searched and I am stuck. I've tried pressing, and hard, on each side of this main connector, nothing - won't come off. The connector does move a little back and forward and does turn, but not off and on. I tried pulling the tabs on the sides to rear. They don't seem to want to move. Has anyone done this job, and knows the correct way to get this off? Please help me. I don't want to break it.

For anyone wondering what I am doing, the fuel pump fuse kept blowing on this car. I replaced it a couple of times not knowing (at the time) what that meant - too much current, so probably clogged fuel pump and clogged filter. I've replaced the rear fuse box, and fuel pump. This side is a lot more challenging, the obstinate connector.

An uncoupable MB connector, the bane of my Mercedes repair life.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
You push it towards the center of the pump, then use the special pliers (which you obviously don't have) to squeeze the tabs, then pull away from the pump.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 09-24-2022 at 11:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
BlackML550 (09-26-2022), MTBenz420 (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too many to list. All MBs
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have some pliers that are similar, tubing pliers. I tried those and was successful. Part (a big part) of my previous failure was failure to first push the connector towards the pump. Once I did that, I could that the body of the connector moved, but not the tabs.

BTW, I did eventually find YouTube videos for the fuel filter change on an 05 ML500 - not very helpful, very different setup - and an 07 GL450. The latter had a much better connector similar to the one in the fuel pump. So it looks like the 06 is the only year with this awful design.

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
You push it towards the center of the pump, then use the special pliers (which you obviously don't have) to squeeze the tabs, then pull away from the pump.
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (09-25-2022)