M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ABS, ESP, DSR INOPERATIVE ( see owner Manual) drive to workshop)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350 2010
ABS, ESP, DSR INOPERATIVE ( see owner Manual) drive to workshop)

Anytime I get this message :

I may have just drive 10 meters then this message would pop up. I can’t change the car to Reverse Mode.

if I continue driving, the car is not driving smoothly, I get a jerky drive

if I put car in Park(P) then try to shift to Drive(D) or Reverse(R) it’s not working.

But if I turn off the Engine/ignition then remove the battery terminals (+) first then (-) followed. The car would come back on and everything is working fine again. The car will go into Drive(D), Reverse(R) immediately the error message is gone.. but after some days the problem is back on

pls help- what might be the problem.(ML 350 2010)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1996.MOV (4.72 MB, 144 views)

Last edited by duckdux; 10-29-2022 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Proper discription
The following users liked this post:
EmilyMB (11-03-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 10:58 AM

ML 350 2010
Ml 350 2010

Please help
Old 10-30-2022, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 (W164)
I have been dealing with a similar issue. The dealer failed to replicate the issue. Battery is new, no water damage and the fuses are fine. Took vehicle to an after-market repair shop. Found an issue with the bus network. Replaced central unit gateway. That produced a new issue - vehicle theft mode disabled the radio, phone, etc. They now think it the actual command unit and have referred me to another shop that can install a current command unit, rather than the 2011 replacement. The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition with 115k miles. Absent this issue, it could go another 50k with ease.

The vehicle behaves like it is having a coronary when the problem hits.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:35 PM

ML 350 2010
Originally Posted by MJBofDCA
I have been dealing with a similar issue. The dealer failed to replicate the issue. Battery is new, no water damage and the fuses are fine. Took vehicle to an after-market repair shop. Found an issue with the bus network. Replaced central unit gateway. That produced a new issue - vehicle theft mode disabled the radio, phone, etc. They now think it the actual command unit and have referred me to another shop that can install a current command unit, rather than the 2011 replacement. The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition with 115k miles. Absent this issue, it could go another 50k with ease.

The vehicle behaves like it is having a coronary when the problem hits.

Thanks for the update, I have actually changed the CAN socket, problem not solved. Car drives smoothly except for this issue. I’m at 117k miles. Anyone found a lasting solution to this issue? Please share with us. Thanks
Old 10-30-2022, 09:34 PM

ML 350 2010
In addition, the auto shop was able to check the ABS wheel cables today for damages, they all look good..

He said 3 thing might trigger the error message on the dash.

1. A faulty ABS wheel cable
2. Low/Bad Battery or something is Draining the battery
3. Steering Angle Sensor

Replaced Auxiliary Battery for $50 cuz the message showed up on the dash. But since replaced no auxiliary message on dash

I have done step 1, and 2. Still getting the error message..

Will try step 3.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:10 AM

2007 ML500
You need to have it diagnosed with a capable scanner. Codes will show up for the errors and you can move from there. Without it you are purely guessing.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:11 AM

ML 350 2010
Originally Posted by Fiiz
You need to have it diagnosed with a capable scanner. Codes will show up for the errors and you can move from there. Without it you are purely guessing.
Thanks for the suggestion. The car has been diagnosed using an Autel Scanner. One of the error message was pointing at the CAN bus. which has been replaced. After replacement the error message was cleared. But the issue is not solved.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
Originally Posted by duckdux
In addition, the auto shop was able to check the ABS wheel cables today for damages, they all look good..

He said 3 thing might trigger the error message on the dash.

1. A faulty ABS wheel cable
2. Low/Bad Battery or something is Draining the battery
3. Steering Angle Sensor

Replaced Auxiliary Battery for $50 cuz the message showed up on the dash. But since replaced no auxiliary message on dash

I have done step 1, and 2. Still getting the error message..

Will try step 3.
is it an intermittent failure with certain weather, cold, rainy, after car wash , early morning, certain amount of time with no driving?
Unplug and plug battery be able to start the car again?
Looks like electrical is shorted to ground?

Old 11-03-2022, 10:48 AM

ML 350 2010
Originally Posted by EmilyMB
is it an intermittent failure with certain weather, cold, rainy, after car wash , early morning, certain amount of time with no driving?
Unplug and plug battery be able to start the car again?
Looks like electrical is shorted to ground?
I suspect this might be due to an electrical shortage cuz the first time. Car didn’t start or ignite, after driving through a flooded area at night but then next day car didn’t start or ignite .. I purchased a new battery then it was fine but after which I started getting the error message … but I’m not sure until they trace what might be wrong. Still getting the error message on dash. If anyone have solve this problem. Please share your experience. Thanks
Old 11-03-2022, 11:39 AM

2008 mercedes gl320cdi
having the same issue with 2008 gl320. did a scan with icarsoft scanner , says the problem was with my central gateway module. practically tearing car apart to locate it . does anyone know where i can find it?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:21 PM

gl550
Originally Posted by cliff312
having the same issue with 2008 gl320. did a scan with icarsoft scanner , says the problem was with my central gateway module. practically tearing car apart to locate it . does anyone know where i can find it?
my gl550 2010 CGW is located under driver’s seat
Old 11-03-2022, 12:26 PM

gl550
I suspect this might be due to an electrical shortage cuz the first time. Car didn’t start or ignite, after driving through a flooded area at night but then next day car didn’t start or ignite .. I purchased a new battery then it was fine but after which I started getting the error message … but I’m not sure until they trace what might be wrong. Still getting the error message on dash. If anyone have solve this problem. Please share your experience. Thanks

is it able to start the car then messages/errors popping up or you have to unplug/plug battery cable to start the car again?
Old 11-03-2022, 02:49 PM

ML 350 2010
Originally Posted by EmilyMB
is it able to start the car then messages/errors popping up or you have to unplug/plug battery cable to start the car again?
The battery is able to start the car, after many hours of driving or not even upto an hour. The error message pops( abs, esp, inoperative) sometimes this happens immediately after I start the car or some minutes after driving) I have to park then unplug the battery terminal and start it again. Then the error message is cleared. Whenever the error message pop, the gear won’t shift to reverse or park then I have to turn off the ignition, unplug the terminal.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:25 PM

2008 mercedes gl320cdi
not there , thanks.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:36 PM

gl550
check out this video!!!

Old 11-07-2022, 12:15 PM

gl550
Anytime I get this message :

I may have just drive 10 meters then this message would pop up. I can’t change the car to Reverse Mode.

if I continue driving, the car is not driving smoothly, I get a jerky drive

if I put car in Park(P) then try to shift to Drive(D) or Reverse(R) it’s not working.

But if I turn off the Engine/ignition then remove the battery terminals (+) first then (-) followed. The car would come back on and everything is working fine again. The car will go into Drive(D), Reverse(R) immediately the error message is gone.. but after some days the problem is back on

pls help- what might be the problem.(ML 350 2010)
here is another issue that causes the errors

Water leaking from rear door wires hardness down to 120v outlet caused shorted.

Water following down from cable to connector and outlet

Water inside

this problem caused same errors of duckdux’s post.