M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 mercedes ml350 trunk release issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 09:15 AM
G94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ml 350
2008 mercedes ml350 trunk release issue

Good morning guys, I'm having an issue with this car. Its a base model ml350 with the non power lift gate I believe. The issue ibam having is that the trunk release onbthe outside above the license plate does not work. Now I know the latch is good because I can actuate it with my scan tool though the rear same module and it open just fine. There is no trunk release button the the keyfob(which I was surprised to see) or on the driver door. i did have to replace the rear sam module and i was able to code it so that everything works as normal. Just annoying to have to put the rear seats down or hook up the scan tool just to open the tailgate. Any ideas, or advice on where to go next?
Old 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
ML350 bluetec and Mini Countryman S All4
Originally Posted by G94
Good morning guys, I'm having an issue with this car. Its a base model ml350 with the non power lift gate I believe. The issue ibam having is that the trunk release onbthe outside above the license plate does not work. Now I know the latch is good because I can actuate it with my scan tool though the rear same module and it open just fine. There is no trunk release button the the keyfob(which I was surprised to see) or on the driver door. i did have to replace the rear sam module and i was able to code it so that everything works as normal. Just annoying to have to put the rear seats down or hook up the scan tool just to open the tailgate. Any ideas, or advice on where to go next?
There is a bicycle style cable that connects the handle to the latch. with the hatch open, pop off the bottom panel (2 screws IIRC), then the inside panel is held on with clips. My cable has a red housing. You can then actuate the cable directly, pull on it to see if either end has come loose as well as use the outside latch to see if it operates properly. Super easy to do, I replaced my latch in about 30 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
G94 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
I think there are some you tube videos for this, I did a you tube search when I changed the actual latch mechanism complete on my 2008 GL