M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 ML350 hatch latches but wont power open/close, hatch button not lit up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2008 ML350 - all stock
2008 ML350 hatch latches but wont power open/close, hatch button not lit up

i have a 2008 W164 ML350, absolutely amazing car. currently has 77k miles on it, and everything works.

when i went to drive it today, i noticed the battery was low, not quite dead, but not enough to start the engine. so i jumped it and it started right up.

but at this point i noticed the hatchback was acting up and would not open. the windows needed their usual reset after the low batt. but the hatch wouldnt even open. (i also dont know the right term- liftgate hatchback trunk boot rear door etc, so it hard to find in the owners manual/online information)

when i would hit the button on the fob, the driver door, or the rear hatch controls, i can hear the locking mechanisms unlatch but no power lift happens. after 2-3 seconds it can tell the hatch didnt open and you can hear it relatch and lock. you can even see it lock back down. no matter how many times i try, the hatch will not open.

i also have noticed the red button on the liftgate does not light up anymore either, which makes me think it could be electrical? or is the door in some sort of safe mode?

i am not really sure where to start with this diagnosis, as i am unsure as to HOW the power liftgate works- is it an electric jackscrew within the right strut as some posts say or is it the hydraulic pump below the spare tire? or is it the rear SAM in the right rear bay?

hoping someone may have been down this road and can help shed some light on what may have caused this and what the best plan is to fix it. happy to provide pics or video!

thanks in advance!