M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Stall @ stoplight ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Stall @ stoplight ?

Tonight we were sitting at a stoplight (foot on brake, nothing on gas) and the engine (gas) stuttered, shook, and stalled. Pressed the start button and restarted OK. Interestingly, I didn't put it in neutral so it must have done so at some point before/during the stall, after it stalled, or when I pressed start.

First time in about 20 years I've had a car do that.

??
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
First, you should fill out your profile so that we know if you have the Bluetec or not.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned "gas". still would be helpful to have what mercedes you drive in your profile.

Last edited by lboudreau; 12-19-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
Tonight we were sitting at a stoplight (foot on brake, nothing on gas) and the engine (gas) stuttered, shook, and stalled. Pressed the start button and restarted OK. Interestingly, I didn't put it in neutral so it must have done so at some point before/during the stall, after it stalled, or when I pressed start.

First time in about 20 years I've had a car do that.

??
Are you running premium unleaded and what brand of gas are you using?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
I have never had this with my gas version. I think you should get your push start button checked. I remember there was a recall with the prius which had push start a while ago.

Don't think it had anything to do with the engine itself, so I wouldn't call it a stall. I which we had some programmers to look at the logs that the computer sent out.

One time my car turned off, I thought it was a stall - I found out I hit/turned the key to off with my knee (no push start)

If it was the engine itself, it would happen a lot more often - because there would be something wrong and everytime the engine was in the same condition lets say (stopped) it would happen - examples would be a cylinder problem - misfires - ECU system error - fuel pump issues.

One more thing, does anyone know if there is a chip in our keys that sends a signal to the car? On my charger when the battery in the key started to die, it would lose that signal causing the car to not start, or the engine to shut off randomly. This was a big thing, so if someone knows the answer to this it could save some ML drives a lot of money from getting towed or taking to the dealership for just a key battery.

Last edited by jweezy; 12-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM

2012 ML350
Thanks all. Gas is premium unleaded (usually 92, occasionally 91). Brand is usually BP, occasionally SA (which I think could be from just about any refinery).

Problem with the start button or similar makes sense.