New Guy Here - Just placed an Order last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Audi A8 Sport
New Guy Here - Just placed an Order last night

Gentlemen,

Long time lurker/first time poster. We just placed an order/put a deposit on a 2012 ML350 to be built in January last night. We were told the lighting package should be available for our build - February delivery. Not sure if that was more of the GM trying to hurry and get our deposit or if he actually knew what he was talking about.

We still have a week or two to finalize our build. In the interim, I wanted to pick your brains on which options are a must have/ones I could live without.

We're definitely getting the following: P2 as I want the H/K sound and keyless go (which I think should be std., as many other options), running boards, leather pkg., rear heated seats, lighting pkg. and lane tracking package.

Here are options that would be nice to have but debating if they are worth the cost.

1 - Pano Roof - What are your thoughts? We haven't seen one in person as of yet but is it like the one in the X5, which is one large pane of glass? Or the old MB Pano roofs - one in the front/divider/another roof in the back?

2 - Parktronic

3 - 3 zone climate control

4 - Wood or Heated steering wheel - any opinions one way or the other?

5 - BIGGEST - Gas or Diesel I know, there have been many threads and opinions on this topic as they are both fine engines. Test driven them both and simply can not decide.

I apologize for the very long post. Any advice from the above would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

Last edited by MD Boy; 12-24-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
Unless you are taking a slot the dealer pre-reserved I think your dealers estimate is off by a month or two. I placed an order Nov 26 and build was scheduled Feb 6.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by MD Boy
Gentlemen,

Long time lurker/first time poster. We just placed an order/put a deposit on a 2012 ML350 to be built in January last night. We were told the lighting package should be available for our build - February delivery. Not sure if that was more of the GM trying to hurry and get our deposit or if he actually knew what he was talking about.

We still have a week or two to finalize our build. In the interim, I wanted to pick your brains on which options are a must have/ones I could live without.

We're definitely getting the following: P2 as I want the H/K sound and keyless go (which I think should be std., as many other options), running boards, leather pkg., rear heated seats, lighting pkg. and lane tracking package.

Here are options that would be nice to have but debating if they are worth the cost.

1 - Pano Roof - What are your thoughts? We haven't seen one in person as of yet but is it like the one in the X5, which is one large pane of glass? Or the old MB Pano roofs - one in the front/divider/another roof in the back?

2 - Parktronic

3 - 3 zone climate control

4 - Wood or Heated steering wheel - any opinions one way or the other?

5 - BIGGEST - Gas or Diesel I know, there have been many threads and opinions on this topic as they are both fine engines. Test driven them both and simply can not decide.

I apologize for the very long post. Any advice from the above would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.
I'd be extremely surprised if you get the lighting package on a 350 that soon. I ordered at the end of October and they still can't give me a build date.

The Panoramic roof is two seperate sunroofs with a divider between. The divider houses twin motorized sunshades. I'm getting it because with a black interior I think you need more light. I don't care for wood wheels unless it's an old Nardi attached to a classic sports car. I, too, am undecided on powetrain. The range and better resale are all that are steering me to the diesel.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:44 AM

2016 C450 AMG
no lighting package until around April if u just put an order in! People that have ordered in Nov still dont have a build and delivery date!

As for pano...its 2 large pieces of glass...I love it!

And yes just about all the stuff you mentioned should be standard on a 60K vehicle, no doubt about it, especially Xenon lites and keyless go...
Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
And yes just about all the stuff you mentioned should be standard on a 60K vehicle, no doubt about it, especially Xenon lites and keyless go...
But it's a $50k vehicle, not 60. MB obviously thought holding the base price down in the US to the level of the outgoing one was important. It's all about marketing, plus we know you get more standard equipment with the Asian brands for the dollar.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:21 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Thank you for all of the replies and information, gentlemen.

The fact that the base price is lower while omitting key features on a luxury vehicle, more importantly, luxury 'brand' is disappointing - to me at least.

I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least 10 years - longer if I can. So, I might as well get options that may be useful and I won't feel any regrets of not having them down the line.

I'm disappointed that Pano roof is basically two sunroofs as opposed to one pane of glass; found in the X5 and Q7.

I'll be removing the Pano roof and wood steering wheel. I think I'll go for the Diesel engine and heated steering wheel. Almost keeping me at the same MSRP I started out with.

Now, I need to find out how the GM came up with Feb. delivery with the lighting package. Are they that important to be a deal breaker? Maybe/Maybe not, there are more important things. In principle, I can't imagine having a new 2012 vehicle and not having them.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Panorama sunroof

I'm disappointed that Pano roof is basically two sunroofs as opposed to one pane of glass; found in the X5 and Q7.
Not sure what you are disappointed in. If it's aesthetic, the Panorama roof looks like one pane from the outside. In addition, the front part of the roof is painted black to enhance the look. The front sunroof tilts & slides and the rear is fixed. Also, if left parked, the open roof will automatically close if it starts to rain or in extreme temperatures. Both panels have horizontal motorized roller shades (front & rear operate together) that can be stopped in any position.

The BMW X5 roof is similar (also two-piece), but smaller and doesn't look as cool from the outside:

The Audi Q7 roof is 3-piece, with a 2-part front panel and separate rear panel:
Attached Images  

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-25-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Here in Florida I didn't want the pano roof. Too much glass. I have the wood steering wheel and love it. Are you getting the "active" lane tracking with the Distonic and blind spot? I have it and think its worth it. I would also suggest the trailer hitch if you even think you MAY need to tow something. There are no after market hitches and the trailer sway control comes with it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM

2012 ML350 BlueTec; used to drive 2009 R320 BlueTec
I would go for the panoramic roof. I absolutely love it.

Parktronic sensors are nice, but the auto park ability is a bit overkill.

3 Climate zones are nice.

Heated steering wheel in California? Not sure how cold it gets in the Bay Area, but in Central Canada, it is an awesome feature.

I love the diesel, but you should make sure it is readily available in your area (I've note that the diesel pumps where my in-laws live in upstate NY always seem to be pretty run down, and generally not as available)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM

2012 ML350
1 - Pano Roof - Doesn't do much for me. I kind of prefer a darker cabin while driving.

3 - 3 zone climate control - If you very often have others riding with you it's worth it.

4 - Wood or Heated steering wheel - If it often gets below about 40f, yes. Often below freezing, big yes.

Keyless is a great feature, though MB's is pretty anemic compared to Lexus and others. If you live where you're often getting in a car in below freezing temps then ask your dealer about installing a remote start. It's after-market, but works fairly well. I'm kind of a tree-hugger-lite so only start mine about three or four minutes before I leave, but that little bit helps.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Putting delivery to the side:

1 - Pano Roof - Please understand that the rear roof segment is fixed, and that the rollor screen for both is "linked" meaning both open/close together, you do not have independent choice. That said both front/rear glass is both UV and infrared resistant. In single roof with solid sliding inside panel you have option to tilt the roof up for ventilation and the solid cover has vent holes so car will still vent with cover closed. Pano roof will also have more roof wind noise since the front retracts higer on the roof. Pano roof good to give 2nd row seat some light (especially for kids) and lighten rear cabin.

2 - Parktronic - The 2012 ML rear camera does a great job down to 20 inches of room, Parktronic (standard not active) is for the under 20" in the rear, and under 20" in the front.

3 - 3 zone climate control - depends on your area and the degree of comfort/control you want 2nd row passengers to have.

4 - Wood or Heated steering wheel - I love the wood/leather wheel - personally I have no love for the heated wheel since my homes are in relatively temperate areas.

5 - BIGGEST - I recommend diesel to those that will tow larger boats and trailers - Your city and hwy mileage gain for BlueTec against the new 350 is nomila - meaning EPA saving about $200 a year for EPA normal driving (less the cost of the AdBlue DEA additive) There are diesel lovers out there - if your not a diesel lover from past expereince than since the new V6 is so good, stick with a gasser.

You haven't mentioned some "real" key features:

1) Blind spot assist/lane tracking - either passive or active - now THOSE are kick ***

2) Keyless go is the bomb and you will use this everyday

3) Trailer hitch was and should be standard - don't miss that - since factory hitch will stop someone when they plow into your rear

4) Distronic is way under rated but pricey tech. Check it out thoroughly and make your own decision.

5) Light package is a great value - but for 350's might be as late as June delivery.

6) If a true order situation then add 2nd row seat heating if you are concerned about 2nd row passenger comfort in colder climates.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thank you for all of the replies and information, gentlemen.

The fact that the base price is lower while omitting key features on a luxury vehicle, more importantly, luxury 'brand' is disappointing - to me at least.

I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least 10 years - longer if I can. So, I might as well get options that may be useful and I won't feel any regrets of not having them down the line.

I'll be removing the Pano roof and wood steering wheel. I think I'll go for the Diesel engine and heated steering wheel. Almost keeping me at the same MSRP I started out with.

Now, I need to find out how the GM came up with Feb. delivery with the lighting package. Are they that important to be a deal breaker? Maybe/Maybe not, there are more important things. In principle, I can't imagine having a new 2012 vehicle and not having them.
Good points indeed!!
does the Q7 not have 2 operating sunroofs with a dead pane in the middle?? Basically this pano design is for structuiral rigidity.
All SUV's I know of have the same Q5 Q7 Touareg Tiguan even X5 yep just checked front panel tilts and slides over another pane that tilts. But some of the above dont have a centre steel frame(X5) but have an enforced glass section that may as well be a steel frame bar. X5 rear panel tilts too so must have a bar to pivot on.
All the same in my mind but I like the extra safety and rigidity of the ML as well as the sun shades which apparently can be closed with the roof open or tilted.
So many way to please and confuse us when we order
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Not sure what you are disappointed in.
The Audi Q7 roof is 3-piece, with a 2-part front panel and separate rear panel:
Greg, thank you for the information. That was more informative than what the dealer could provide.

I wasn't fond of the divider in the middle in the ML - thus rendering it to be two separate sunroofs. Regardless, we will be ordering it.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Wow, thank you all for the great information and advice. I was going to reply to each one of your responses but that might be redundant/too time consuming for everyone.

We just submitted our build; I wanted to stay at or below $65k MSRP.

-Changed from the Gas to the diesel! I want something different and I love the torque. Never owned a diesel and we do a lot of city driving.
-Osbidian Black/Black Leather
-P1/P2 - Have to have the H/K and Keyless Go
-Lighting Package - Dealer swears we will have it by March
-Running boards
-Heated rear seats - We did however omit the rear climate package
-Heated steering wheel - in lieu of the wooden steering wheel
-Pano roof - I've heard many good things about it and I think it will be a nice to have down the road
-Rear seat ent. Pre-Wiring - simply got it so we can have memory seats on the front passenger side; for $240, it was worth it
-Trailer Hitch - here's something we never thought of because we would never tow something. But as Fabbrisd mentioned above, it is good support for the rear should someone rear-end you. And who knows what the future holds, maybe we do down the line

The only question remaining is Parktronic. I was disappointed that (at minimum) rear sensors are not standard and I would have to get Parktronic to have them (f/r). I can still switch out this for the trailer hitch, as I may never use either feature.

Apologies again for the very long post.

Thank you all for your time and help and happy new year.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
You should consider adding the U09 ARTICO leather dashboard.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
You should consider adding the U09 ARTICO leather dashboard.
What? I didn't know the leather dashboard was even an option. Thank you so much. We inquired about this option because we think it makes, almost, any vehicle look much more of a, 'finished product' or more luxurious - in my opinion. Neither the sales person nor the GM and they said it was not an option for the new ML, not even on special order.

How is it that members of this board know more than people that actually work at MB?

Thank you again and we'll definitely be ordering it

EDIT - YYZ, have you or anyone already ordered this option? Does anyone have any pic's? Also, is it real leather or the mb-tex?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What? I didn't know the leather dashboard was even an option. Thank you so much. We inquired about this option because we think it makes, almost, any vehicle look much more of a, 'finished product' or more luxurious - in my opinion. Neither the sales person nor the GM and they said it was not an option for the new ML, not even on special order.

Also, is it real leather or the mb-tex?
Artico is what MBTex is called in Canada. Special Order Option U09 is only $300 (plus one-time $250 SO charge) and looks classy. MBTex is a better material than leather for the dash where it gets a lot of sun.

You can see the white stitching in this photo (Sport Wheel that is part of P95 Interior Sports package also shown):

Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Nice. Thank you. We're ordering the leather package but I think the dash in mb-tex would look great.

Quick question: is there another name or option code for the leather dash? I just got of the phone with my sales advisor and she said she can't find the option anywhere. I told her it is a special order but to no avail.

She said we have to put the order in tonight for March delivery. Also, she again confirmed the lighting package.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
EDIT - YYZ, have you or anyone already ordered this option? Does anyone have any pic's? Also, is it real leather or the mb-tex?
It is part of the leather package for Canada. It is ARTICO (MB-Tex), not real leather. designo Nappa leather dashboard will be available next year on the 350s (standard on ML 63). The ARTICO looks great, though. I believe Greg ordered it on his ML.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Changed from the Gas to the diesel! I want something different and I love the torque. Never owned a diesel and we do a lot of city driving.
Excellent choice going with diesel.I promise you won't look back.Just one comment (with which others might disagree or have more to add)....my experience suggests that diesels are much better suited to the Interstate than to city driving.If your family's circumstances allow I'd encourage you to make your ML a highway cruiser.

Last edited by listerone; 01-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice. Thank you. We're ordering the leather package but I think the dash in mb-tex would look great.

Quick question: is there another name or option code for the leather dash? I just got of the phone with my sales advisor and she said she can't find the option anywhere. I told her it is a special order but to no avail.

She said we have to put the order in tonight for March delivery. Also, she again confirmed the lighting package.
Must we lead them by the hand? Send her this (all dealers received this almost 7 months ago):

http://thebenzman.files.wordpress.co...de-ml-2012.pdf

Here is pricing for the SO options:

Given your salesperson's knowledge, I would not bet on the March delivery with lighting package if I were you.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since we are spending your money, you should also consider the black headliner - code Y90. Its $0
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Since we are spending your money, you should also consider the black headliner - code Y90. Its $0
Yes, and how about rear seat entertainment prewiring, which is the only way to get passenger seat memory!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM

2012 ML350
-Lighting Package - Dealer swears we will have it by March
If he's so sure then get him to agree that if you don't have your car with the lighting package by April 15 then he'll give you a free AMG pkg.

Sounds like a great build!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 AM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Originally Posted by listerone
Excellent choice going with diesel.I promise you won't look back.Just one comment (with which others might disagree or have more to add)....my experience suggests that diesels are much better suited to the Interstate than to city driving.If your family's circumstances allow I'd encourage you to make your ML a highway cruiser.
Absolutely. We will be going to Tahoe more often, which is about a three hour drive. Actually, I think we'll feel more compelled in taking more road trips and getting back to the outdoors more in general

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Guy Here - Just placed an Order last night