M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
First Impressions

I picked up the new ML last week. My impression so far. I love it!

Some problems? The ambient light on the drivers door does not change. It a PITA to program the homelink. The owners manual is wrong per homelink, but they walked me thru it. Scratchy sound from the driver seat belt. Rear camera only works when the system is on. Homelink only works when the car is running. (no more leaving the door unlocked so my kids can get in the house) Small rattle from the sun roof area. The only reason I know its there is the car is so darn quiet. Active lane assist doesn't always work and only works on solid lines.

No deal breakers. Overall I love this car. Rides and drives like a dream. And the HK system is to die for. :-)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
I wish the Homelink had a delay so that it worked for a few minutes after the car is shut off--that way I could close the garage door behind me after shutting off the engine. Unfortunately, it's that way on all Homelink systems I've had.

I think the Homelink website is better for specific programming instructions than the owner's manual.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
Active lane assist doesn't always work and only works on solid lines.
Some MB features should be promoted as 'very cool, but still in Beta', especially something like this that is a safety feature. Wonder how many people will reduce their own caution thinking that ALA will cover them, only to find out it has limited vision.

Glad you're happy with your ML. My wife is going through big disillusionment with all of the little problems that have been stacking up (on top of features not available like headlamp washers, front fog lights, remote start, etc.) She does love the ride and handling though.

Last edited by TundraRoads; 12-27-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
The home link on my Ford and Nissan work with the car off.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
I picked up the new ML last week. My impression so far. I love it!

Some problems? The ambient light on the drivers door does not change. It a PITA to program the homelink. The owners manual is wrong per homelink, but they walked me thru it. Scratchy sound from the driver seat belt. Rear camera only works when the system is on. Homelink only works when the car is running. (no more leaving the door unlocked so my kids can get in the house) Small rattle from the sun roof area. The only reason I know its there is the car is so darn quiet. Active lane assist doesn't always work and only works on solid lines.

No deal breakers. Overall I love this car. Rides and drives like a dream. And the HK system is to die for. :-)
My lane assist works with the intermittent Braille we have on roads around here. The home link in my Denali only worked when the truck had ignition on. This is most likely to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is off. Why would you ever turn off the command center where it would effect the rear view camera? My Lexus rear camera was also disabled when you turn off the Nav system. Sorry, I just don't view those items as issues. I do though hope you get the rattle and ambient light issue fixed.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Scott5000
My lane assist works with the intermittent Braille we have on roads around here. The home link in my Denali only worked when the truck had ignition on. This is most likely to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is off. Why would you ever turn off the command center where it would effect the rear view camera? My Lexus rear camera was also disabled when you turn off the Nav system. Sorry, I just don't view those items as issues. I do though hope you get the rattle and ambient light issue fixed.
I never thought of keeping the nav on. I just thought you had to have the radio playing too. That's one problem solved. Thanks. :-)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM

2012 ML350
Don't forget to check the exterior mirrors locater lights, they probably do not work either.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM

2011 ML550
Compare to BMW 550i, if I turn radio off, then only radio off, the screen is not turn off and everything else still working such as NAV, phone system, rear + side view cams etc....
Next SUV will be BMW X5 5.0
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Benzy550
Compare to BMW 550i, if I turn radio off, then only radio off, the screen is not turn off and everything else still working such as NAV, phone system, rear + side view cams etc....
Works the same on the Benz, unless you turn off the entire command system.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM

2011 ML550
Actually no on/off power on my BMW, only mute.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
I am sure most of us has considered the BMW X5 as an option before buying the 2012 ML350...

...yet we still ended up with the ML350. It must be good at something.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM

2011 ML550
2011 ML550 is 5th MB we owned, but after we bought '11 BMW 550i, and tried out '11 X5, we will get BMW next time.
My wife used to drove MB only, but after I got BMW 550i for her, she really like it and so do I. Only '11 CLS we missed, though '12 CLS come out will be nice, but look not as elegant as '11 model, with me new '12 ML, CLS not look nice as '11 models. I might come back MB on next generation '15 or .....,,
Enjoy your new drive,
Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
2011 ML550 is 5th MB we owned, but after we bought '11 BMW 550i, and tried out '11 X5, we will get BMW next time.
My wife used to drove MB only, but after I got BMW 550i for her, she really like it and so do I. Only '11 CLS we missed, though '12 CLS come out will be nice, but look not as elegant as '11 model, with me new '12 ML, CLS not look nice as '11 models. I might come back MB on next generation '15 or .....,,
Enjoy your new drive,
Happy New Year!
I'm a big BMW fan; still own two. The BMW 550i is very nice. Unfortunately, while the 550i has the latest BMW interior, the X5 has a very dated one. That plus the awful run flat tires, and the difficulties of dealing with that turned me off to the X5. If you like the dated interior of the X5 that's fine, but otherwise you'll be waiting until at least 2013 for the next generation.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by caf
I'm a big BMW fan; still own two. The BMW 550i is very nice. Unfortunately, while the 550i has the latest BMW interior, the X5 has a very dated one. That plus the awful run flat tires, and the difficulties of dealing with that turned me off to the X5. If you like the dated interior of the X5 that's fine, but otherwise you'll be waiting until at least 2013 for the next generation.
+1 on this statement

I own a BMW also (girlfriend drives a coupe). The service in our area is the worst. For how much money you pay for the vehicle it is unacceptable. Thats only one reason I didn't go with the X5

The other is that its smaller on the inside, mostly the backseat.

What knocked it completly out of the game is the X5 off-road capabilities or lack there of. The X5 is a on road SUV, it is not known for its off-road performance. One reason it comes with (summer tires) The dealer will tell you that straight up... Ask them what the X5 platform is...5 series maybe?

You don't hear this much, however the X5 is not a true SUV it's actually a crossover, just like the Highlander, or the Venza, CRV.

Mercedes-Benz built the first TRUE SUV, and continues to build a true SUV with the 2012 ML350. Its a unibody frame similar to a truck platform they built from the ground up. Even Jeep* borrowed/uses the technology.

The ML had/has the balance of on road and off-road I was looking for, backseat legroom and trunk space.

Benzy, don't take no offense to my comments as they as they are strictly my opinion. This is a forum were we debate and express ourselves with comments in regards to each other. I only stated why I didn't purchase the X5. Although it seems like the 13'/14' will look nice...

Last edited by jweezy; 12-28-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Scott5000
I tried to turn on the Nav by itself and it only comes on when an audio device is on. If I turn the radio off the screen goes black. Time to read the manual I guess.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

2012 ML350
I believe the center button turns on/off the entire nav/audio/bt system. If you want nav and no music just press the mute button on your steering wheel.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
I believe the center button turns on/off the entire nav/audio/bt system. If you want nav and no music just press the mute button on your steering wheel.
+1