2012 ML350 User Review (Canada)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
2012 ML350 User Review (Canada)

2012 ML350 Review (Canadian Model)

The ML350 has started to ship to dealers in North America and the first few cars are arriving in the hands of early purchasers. I've now been driving mine for a few days and here are some initial observations and impressions.

I have owned both the first and second generation MLs, with my last one a recent model diesel version. My new 2012 ML350 is gas rather than diesel because I now live some 4 months a year in Mexico, and the Ultra-Low Sulfur fuel that current diesels need isn't yet available in that country.

This brief report will be primarily of interest to Canadians, because that's where I live and bought mine. There is quite a difference in features and options between the US and Canada. Canadian MLs all come with the AMG styling package as standard, excepting the 20" wheels. In the AMG styling the area where the daytime LED running lights is located is the biggest difference. On Canadian MLs these are large faux air scoops that look a bit like those on the new Porsche Cayenne. The ones on the US model, along with the bifurcated bumper insert, in my opinion make the Canadian version look a lot more purposeful that the one sold in the US.

The base price for the gas version in Canada is $57,900. This is quite a bit more than the US model, but there's a lot more standard equipment in addition to the AMG package. (The US and Canadian dollars are currently swinging back and forth around par, so are not part of the pricing equation).

All 2012 ML350s coming to Canada have the following as standard equipment:
- AMG styling package with 19" Twin 5-Spoke Wheels
- LED Daytime running lights and tail lights
- Glass sunroof
- Memory package with power steering column and lumbar support
- Heated Front Seats
- Electrohydrolic power steering
- Ambient lighting package with 3 color settings
- Bluetooth and MP3
- Power mirrors
- Sirius satellite radio
- Metallic paint at no additional cost
The major option package is called the Premium Package (MPP). Most cars brought in for dealer inventory will have this. My car is thus equipped and the package has the following…
- Rear view camera
- Parktronic with guidance
- Panorama sunroof
- Media interface (iPod)
- COMAND Nav with DVD Changer
- Harmon Kardon LOGIC 7 sound system,
- Heated Rear Seats
- Keyless-Go
- Power Tailgate
My car also has the Driver Assistance package ($800) which includes passive Lane Keeping and Blind Spot assist. It also has a trailer hitch and aluminum running boards.

The only thing missing that I really would have wanted (since my previous car had them) is the Bi-Xenon headlamps. These should have been available right from the start, but I was told by my dealer that the factory in Japan that makes them was damaged in the earthquake. They will apparently become available as an option again beginning on January production cars.

As most readers here will know the 2012 ML is a third generation car. Though its basic styling has echoes of the previous version, it appears both more svelte and more butch at the same time. Quite a styling accomplishment.

Apparently the chassis is also all new, the interior is all new, and the engine (at least the V6 gas engine) is also brand new. What this all bodes for long term reliability remains to be seen.

The new ML is slightly wider, slightly longer and a bit lower than its predecessor .

What's Missing in Canada?

Canada does not get the Mbrace telematics system, and we also do not get Sirius Satellite Weather. No MB cars in Canada get Mbrace, which is strange, since all of the competitive manufacturers offer something similar. The lack of Sirius weather may simply be a licensing issue, because we do get their traffic info. Hopefully this is subject to an update down the road – so to speak.

We do get after-turn-off residual warm air circulation, something unavailable on US cars. Welcome to the frozen north.

The parking brake is now electric, and there is a Hold function for long stops while remaining in gear, which is engaged by double tapping the brake peddle. Just touch the gas to get going again.

The Exterior

This is of course a matter of taste. Some will find it appealing (I do) and some not. Certainly the style is very reminiscent of the previous ML but it is somehow more modern and aggressive looking – at least in AMG trim. It certainly isn't adventurous though, which for some may be appealing because it means that the look won't age all that quickly.

The Interior

The 2012 ML350's interior sees the most dramatic and visible change. It now is quite similar to the 2012 E class in terms of finish, instrument configuration and positioning. The extensive wood trim adds a nice touch.

The center console grab bars are now gone, but instead there is a COMAND control wheel in front of the arm rest, which was sorely missed on the previous ML and GL models. The new ambient lighting system is quite attractive, and offers a choice of three lighting colours.

I was also pleased to see that the seat controls have been moved from the lower seat base to the door panel, which is a patented MB design from long ago, but has been sadly missing from some recent models.

Another long-overdue change is moving the cruise control stalk from above the turn signals to below. Hopefully fewer people will enter Resume mode when what they intended was to signal a right turn. I, on the other hand, after years of familiarity with the old layout, now find myself totally confused.

The rear seats recline a bit, which will be welcome by passengers on long trips, and the rear head-rests are a new design that makes folding the seats to extend the rear space a breeze. The lip on the retracting rear cargo cover now folds forward, out off the way. Your dog will thank you.

Overall the interior of the new ML350 is more elegant and less utilitarian than its predecessor, and to my eye a more inviting place to spend time behind the wheel.

Part of the optional Parktronic is a P symbol which appears on the small center info screen at slow speeds. As you drive past parking openings between cars it signals with an arrow if it judges the space to be big enough to park in. I suppose this is part of the sensing system that is used when you get a model equipped with the self parking option. Thanks – but I'd rather do it myself.

The New Comand System

Moving the main screen higher up on the console is a huge improvement. It is closer to the driver's normal line of sight, and makes it easier to drive and check the screen simultaneously. I know that Transport Canada is urging manufacturers to place their screens higher up for safety reasons.

There is now a 3D view of the map with buildings and terrain as options as well. The new screen itself is also much better than the one in the previous generation – brighter, higher contrast and more colorful.

There have been some additional improvements over the previous generation – including on on-screen list of upcoming exists and available services when driving on expressways.

The voice control system seems to be a bit better than the previous one as well.

Brakes

I am very pleased with the 2012 ML350's brakes. I have always found the brakes on my Mercedes (about 7 cars over the past 30 years) to be slow to engage. The brakes themselves are good, it's just that there's a lot of soft peddle travel before anything much happens. I've read several magazine reviewers complain about the same thing over the years.

While waiting for my 2012 ML350 I drove a 2012 GL350, and its brakes were as mushy as ever. But the ones on my new ML are great. Maybe the most responsive brakes I've ever had, but without being grabby.

Steering and Handling

The new ML's steering is now electro/hydraulic powered rather than hydraulic only. This is a fuel economy step as it places less load on the engine. The difference is immediately apparent to the driver. The steering is light around town (but not Honda feather light), yet still has decent road feel. Not great road feel, mind you, but nowhere near as bad as I had feared. A day of urban driving is now no longer a chore, and unless your carving S's on a rural byway you'll likely find the feel more than adequate.

Though I haven't yet done any driving on really bad roads (that will come in Mexico this winter) suspension travel seems to be very compliant, so bottom out will likely be rare.

The Spare

There is now a mini spare tire under the cargo area, rather than the inflation kit previously offered. The reason that this is possible once again is that the space taken up by the diesel's Addblu tank has been freed up, with its filler now moved to the gas filler hatch.

Diesel vs Gas

Based on what I've read, only 20% of previous year MLs sold in the US were diesel. Yet, in Canada 80% of the MLs sold are diesel. Why is this? Likely because in Canada diesel fuel is currently priced lower than Regular, while in the US its higher than Premium. Could it have to do with refining capacity in each country? Or, maybe government taxation schemes?

In any event, the diesel engine is about 3 MPG more fuel efficient than the gas engine, but the new 302 HP gas engine is 3MPG more efficient than last year's (even with more horsepower).

My previous generation Diesel ML350 averaged about 9L / 100km (26MPG) on my standard driving cycle (30% city traffic, 40% rural roads, 30% expressway). The new 2012 gas ML350 is so far getting 12L / 100km (20MPG). I expect that this will improve slightly as the engine ages a bit, but there's no doubt that with the lower cost of diesel in Canada and the much better mileage, this is the engine to have.

When it comes to NHV (noise, harshness and vibration) the MB diesels are second to none. They are arguably the smoothest, quietest diesels ever. But with my 2011 ML350 I was always aware that I was driving a diesel. There is a momentary starting lag, a momentary acceleration lag, and a slight – almost sub-audible growl from the engine that's always there. The new V6 gas engine, on the other hand, is nothing short of inaudible, and as smooth as a baby's bum. It does purr nicely though when booted.

While the gas and diesel engines have the same published 0–60 times, the gas engine is much quicker off the mark, and gives the impression of greater acceleration. Once the diesel gets going though it's like a freight train, and has enough torque to probably pull one as well.

In the final analysis a serious edge in fuel economy goes to the diesel, but the edge in NVH goes to the new gas engine. It's thirstier, but a honey.

Not withstanding the paddle shifters, I wish the car had a "Sport" mode. The transmission appears to be heavily biased toward fuel economy, with the shift points aimed at keeping the revs as low as possible in as high a gear as possible. An optional Sport mode which had more aggressive shift points would make the car a lot more fun to drive on back country roads without one needing to use the paddles.

Final First Impressions & The Competition

While I'm a Mercedes fan, over the years I've mixed it up and have also owned BMW, Audi, and Lexus. I think that Audi does the best interiors of anyone in the business, and their latest body styling is attractive. But the Q7 is too big for me, and the Q5 too small. Now, if they had a Q6 we'd be talking.

The BMW X5 is a direct competitor to the ML. But the current model's interior is too stark, and as long as BMW insists on using run-flat tires they've lost my vote. These make an already overly firm ride too harsh for my taste.

Lexus? Well, for me they lost the plot a long time ago. Beautifully made appliances. No soul.

Oh yes. There's the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, a distant cousin to the new ML, from the days when Benz and Chrysler had a brief fling. Very nice, and superficially similar to the new ML, but in the end a different class of automobile. Somewhat less expensive to be sure though. If you need true off-road capability then it's appealing. But in a few months the ML will be able to be purchased with a similar capability.

Which brings us back to the new 2012 ML350. I think that MB has a winner on their hands. In the mid-size luxury SUV segment right now it has the high ground. When the next generation X5 comes along, or if an Audi Q6 were to appear, this may change. But for now I don't see anything in its size and price category seriously challenging the new ML350.

It's a keeper.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
Thanks for writing the in-depth review. It reinforces some of the same reasons I ordered a ML350 diesel: the X5 interior is really dated (and the lack of a factory tow hitch), and I felt the same way as you about the Audis: the Q5 is too small (and lacks a diesel version) and the Q7 is too big for my needs.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
mreichman: Thanks for this comprehensive and detailed report. You answered all my questions about the Canadian Version. Congratulations for your new ride.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:58 PM

What a great review. Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I test drove an ML 2012 last week. I currently drive a 2012 SLK and in order to deploy the HOLD function on the break I just press the break peddle hard. I tried this on the new ML and nothing happened, thus I assumed the Canadian ML did not have the break HOLD function. Thank you for clarifying this. I also noticed that the ML did not have Sirius Weather. My SLK does and it currently works on my 6 month trial. The weather is generated from the nearest cross border US city. I like it and would definitely pay for the service. I contacted Sirius Canada and they have told me it is not avialable in Canada. I am not sure why it currently works in my car, but I suspect I will lose it when my trial is over. Very frustrating and in my opinion just stupid! I currently have an ML 2008 as my winter vehicle. I like the new ML but just not sure about pulling the trigger. Still thinking about it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Just a small point....

Although I've never driven the ML,specifically,I do have experience with both a Mercedes diesel and a BMW diesel and I must say that the BMW's engine was a bit smoother and seemed a bit more "refined".One is very good,the other is outstanding in that respect.

IMO.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by mreichmann
ML350 Review (Canadian Model)
Thanks for the great review. I look forward to deciding on another gas model or my first diesel. Even with the higher diesel prices here in the States, it probably pencils out if you keep it a few years, and the greater range is appealing, as well as the reduced carbon emissions.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM

ML350/C230
Many thanks great review!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:01 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
New Diesel

Apparently the reviewer didnt drive the "NEW" diesel.
But I appreciate the review nice to know about the continued heat flow when the vehicle is off.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
Thanks for the great review. My 2009 leases up 4/2013 and will be leasing another ML. This will be my 3rd ML. I am visiting my dealer Saturday for a warrenty issue and hope to see and drive a 2012. I plan to order my ML loaded up with lots of options. I do love the Xenon's and adaptive headlights. Live in a fairly rural area and the combination of the Xenon's and adaptive head light on back curvy country roads at night is a great combination. I love to drive and am looking forward to all of the new features and the new interrior. I do hope the US navigation system is better than what I currently have. I am not impressed with the system. Find it very frustrating to use and in my opinion is devoid of a lot of features that I have in my portable Garman.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MAmendola
Thanks for the great review. My 2009 leases up 4/2013 and will be leasing another ML. This will be my 3rd ML. I am visiting my dealer Saturday for a warrenty issue and hope to see and drive a 2012. I plan to order my ML loaded up with lots of options. I do love the Xenon's and adaptive headlights. Live in a fairly rural area and the combination of the Xenon's and adaptive head light on back curvy country roads at night is a great combination. I love to drive and am looking forward to all of the new features and the new interrior. I do hope the US navigation system is better than what I currently have. I am not impressed with the system. Find it very frustrating to use and in my opinion is devoid of a lot of features that I have in my portable Garman.

Enjoy your new ride!
If you're are not currently an MBCA member, I would suggest joining, because afte a year of membership you are eligible for a $1k rebate. Caveat: If you live in Canada I'm not sure this applies. Please add your place of residence to your profile as it helps tailor responses.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 AM

07' ML350
real world pics of your amg pack ML?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM

2015 GLA coco brown metallic with Sport pkg, Premium and premium plus packages
Excellent review. I have ordered a 2012 ML 350 diesel and was pleased to learn after reading your review the ambient lighting package was standard in the Canadian version. I also ordered the premium package, and advanced driving assist package. Your review answered my questions about the premium package and standard features. This will be the second BluTec ML that I have owned my previous one being a 2009 and I am looking forward to the enhancements incorporated into the 3rd generation.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Very nice write up!

Is there any way to find individual part #'s of the components that make up the AMG Styling package? Bumper, hood, etc?

Here's why I ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 ML350 User Review (Canada)-photo.jpg  

Last edited by T Class; 11-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr.GL450
Very nice write up!

Is there any way to find individual part #'s of the components that make up the AMG Styling package? Bumper, hood, etc?

Here's why I ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ouch! The pedestrian-friendly hood crumpling works as advertised.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM

2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Yes, very unfortunite. Hey Greg, would you happen to know what the cosmetic difference between the US and Canadian release?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Canadian cosmetics

Originally Posted by Dr.GL450
Yes, very unfortunite. Hey Greg, would you happen to know what the cosmetic difference between the US and Canadian release?
Different front and rear valances and AMG 5-spoke wheels are the primary differences, I believe.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 AM

2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Unfortunately I was not able to switch to the AMG valances etc. Wishful thinking it was...

Good news, Ill be getting my ML back tomorrow...Finally..