MB-Tex??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
MB-Tex??

Does anyone order with leather? doesn't look like any dealer car has leather, which is a bit disappointing in this range of car. What is MB-Tex anyway, some kind of faux leather?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
NOt sure exactly what it is, however when it comes to faking it - the MBTex does a very good job about it.

I am not that high strung that I need Cow leather that was grown in Brazil or something. I wanted something durable and with a good finish and quality to it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Upholstery

Originally Posted by cte430
Does anyone order with leather? doesn't look like any dealer car has leather, which is a bit disappointing in this range of car. What is MB-Tex anyway, some kind of faux leather?
Many custom order with leather, but a lot of the dealer stock has been ordered with MBTex to keep the price down. It's a high quality vinyl, which is very durable and great for what it is. I'm getting leather, but third option on the Special Order list is MBTex with synthetic suede (Dynamica) inserts. Beautiful 911, BTW.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I tried the leather and the MBTex and didn't feel any difference. I understand that the MBTex wears like iron and looks good years down the road. I do like the cooled seats but you have to get the leather for that option.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
MB-Tex is technically leatherette but its very close to leather. There have been tons of discussions on this board about the pros and cons of each. If the model of Benz that I'm choosing offers it I prefer to go with MB-Tex over leather. It's less hassle to maintain and more durable but that is just a personal choice I choose to make. Lot of people who sit in my car complement me on how comfortable my leather seats are and I have to break it to them that they are sitting on MB-Tex. The only thing I miss with the MB-Tex is the lack of leather smell.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM

mbtex vs. leather

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
MB-Tex is technically leatherette but its very close to leather. There have been tons of discussions on this board about the pros and cons of each. If the model of Benz that I'm choosing offers it I prefer to go with MB-Tex over leather. It's less hassle to maintain and more durable but that is just a personal choice I choose to make. Lot of people who sit in my car complement me on how comfortable my leather seats are and I have to break it to them that they are sitting on MB-Tex. The only thing I miss with the MB-Tex is the lack of leather smell.
mbtex wears better than leather, and requires less care/maintenance. 3-4 year old leather (dry and cracked if not looked after) looks much worse than mbtex.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Another good thing about MB-Tex is that is something happens such as a tear or a stain, and a section needs to be replaced it would probably be less expensive to repair.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
my first benz , a 280S had tex as did my 300SD.Wore great. My last, a 420SEL had leather and was also great here in the hot S Fla sun. My new ML350BTC has black tex and looks great. I expect it to wear very well too
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM

2015 ML 250
I have a C Class with the leather insert option (inside of the seat is leather the outside support section is MB Tex), and needless to say that the difference is little to none; There is some wear now on the leather already that I have to address. The Mb text is looking as good as new on the other hand.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
My 08 C300 had black mb tex, no complaints, I just got a 12' E350 with leather and its nothing spectacular besides the rare color "chestnut", its not soft/plush.. My fiance just got a 12' C300 and she has mb tex, my complaint is the smell, it has a nasty plasticy cant explain it honestly.. just doesnt smell good. I dont know if its the color gray she has or what..
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM

2015 ML 250
On another note, if you have small kids (Like I do) you will appreacite the Mb tex
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Yes,it's fake leather.Having seen both BMW's and MB's fake leather I can say that MB does a much better job at it.So far,at least,I'm fully satisfied with my MB-Tex.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Have had both MB Tex and MB leather. Both wear well, but the MB Tex is easier to keep clean - especially with 2 young kids. Only downside I can figure is the range of colors - the auburn brown is very nice - but not available in MB Tex. The ML I have on order (and may never see due to the 319 pkg) is MB Tex, but I may change the order to go auburn leather.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM

2012 ML350
I've had leather in just about every car I've owned and my wife has had it in the past four cars she's had. We got Tex in our '12 ML350 and so far we're pretty happy.

Agree on the Auburn. For me that would have been an issue, my wife always likes a full black and grey interior so no problem for her.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Two things other have not mentioned yet;

1) leather can scratch especially with today's decorated or riveted jeans , and MB-Tex is much more resistant to that type of damage

2) MB-Tex has laminated layers, including a cotton web cloth - to me under the sun leather gets a lot hotter sitting than MB-Tex. That web layer is the major reason why you don't see MB-Tex perforated like leather for ventilated seats. The actual look of ventilated seat option for the ML doesn't really turn me on in this style seat as compared to the sedan and coupe seats.

I have a Auburn interior coming in on a black ML about 1st week Feb - it also has a new wood treatment - I think it will be a interesting look but I am going to hold off judgment until after I see it in person.

"Quilted look" in leather will start showing up in spring, and I am going to hold off on my judgement on that new styling until after I see one too.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
fabbrisd, your order sounds nice, is the wood the satin ash? If it is, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you take delivery. I have a black on palladium with satin ash on order, but I really like the auburn. Keep us posted, thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
MBtex can get pretty hot in the summer, and can dry out. It takes as much time to care for MBTex as it does for leather if you want to keep it new, scratch free (MBtex can scratch and scratches are especially visible on BLACK mbtex), and soft. MBTex also wears a lot, albeit not as much as leather. For example, my drivers side seat bolsters, both on the side and on the actual seat, on my GL, has turned rock hard and is very shiny. This probably won't happen though on my E because the E sits lower so I'm not going to slide myself across the seat to get down to the ground.

MBTex is great, but try to go for a light color. MBTex does have an artificial feel, though. The leather may look the same, but the leather is indeed softer.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBTex performance

Originally Posted by amaycg
It takes as much time to care for MBTex as it does for leather if you want to keep it new, scratch free (MBtex can scratch and scratches are especially visible on BLACK mbtex), and soft. MBTex also wears a lot, albeit not as much as leather. For example, my drivers side seat bolsters, both on the side and on the actual seat, on my GL, has turned rock hard and is very shiny.
I don't know what you're doing to your car (carrying soccer team all the time?), but these are not my experiences. I have an '06 at 60k+ mi. with the MBTex/Alcantara sport interior in dark gray. Neither fabric has discernible wear (including driver's bolster) nor has received much in the way of care. I may switch my current order from 801 Premium Leather to the 601 MBTex/Dynamica option.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not carrying the soccer team, but MBTex does harden and lose the initial softness that comes with the tex when the car is new (repeated abrasion causes the surface to wear out). I have never worn jeans in my GL, just black pants and almost every GL with 50,000 miles + I have seen in the preowned lot at the dealership has had the same problem on the driver's side bolster (it started early - 25,000 miles approx). It is wrinkled and hard. The thing about black tex is that it shows more than gray, so even though you may not have any problems, when black tex wears, it becomes shiny and you can see scratches on the backrest bolsters from getting in/out of the car.

Surprisingly, my Premium Leather drivers seat on the S550 does have a few wrinkles on the edge of the seat bolster, but it does wear much better, to my shock. It has suppleness, has a matte finish, and feels butter smooth.

MBTex is awesome because it can take whatever you throw at it, but it does wear. Rubbing on the vinyl will wear the grain pattern down. It also doesn't have the nice smell leather has.

I love both MBTex and leather because I have both. It's hard to tell the difference when the cars are new. Over time the leather may have more wrinkles, but it will still feel softer than the tex.

Honestly, if you have the money to spend on leather, do it. Leather should come standard and MBTex a special order option or free option, but think to yourself: Is a luxury car really a luxury car if it doesn't even have leather?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ecaman77
I have a C Class with the leather insert option (inside of the seat is leather the outside support section is MB Tex), and needless to say that the difference is little to none; There is some wear now on the leather already that I have to address. The Mb text is looking as good as new on the other hand.
There's no such thing that I've ever heard of. My GL window sticker also says "MB-Tex with Leather Seating Inserts." I called MBUSA & they said even if the window sticker says MBTex w/Leather inserts, whole seat is MBTex. That's why you didn't pay for the leather seating option. I also verified this with the service department and the Dealer Ordering Guide website.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBTex

Originally Posted by amaycg
...but MBTex does harden and lose the initial softness that comes with the tex when the car is new (repeated abrasion causes the surface to wear out).
Again, that's not my experience. Does your car see a lot of sun (you might want to add your location to your profile)? Mine is garaged most the time. The material seems as supple as new after 6 1/2 years (7/05 delivery). Leather is nice, but will typically crease more, which is fine if you accept it as a natural property of the material.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Not all Mercedes leather is the same. The nappa leather on my C32 was a cut above the basic leather on the c350. Picked up my my ML 350 last night- MB Tex- and yes it doesn't have the same feel but it compares to the leather seating on say, a Ford I owned. Upkeep is low and the driver's side seat doesn't crack on the outboard bolster as it does on leather equipped cars.My father still has his 1968 250 from new with the (at that time) leatherette option in cognac and it still looks new 42 years and 500000 k later.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 AM

2015 ML 250
Not sure what to tell you GregW / Oregon,

I actually obtained the build sheet for my car from MBUSA, and it actually states the following:
"Accessory code 111 - Black leather seating insets"

It does not seem to be a common option, I can tell you that from what I have seen specially on the 2007 C Class. I believe that it is most common on the 2005 model year

Shortly after that it moves onto the ****Standard Accessories****

For some reason this particular car also came with "Accessory code 581 which is DIGITAL Dual Zone Climate Control" instead on the analog controls usually found on those models, this means that the car has full separate functions on the air ducting in other words "Climatronic"

It must be just one of those that got lucky on the builds I guess.

Last edited by ecaman77; 10-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.