M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Album art from iPod is gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Album art from iPod is gone

Only a few songs that were downloaded a while ago show up with album art. No new songs have it appear anymore.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
How does the database update? could that be the problem?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by hutch300
How does the database update? could that be the problem?
It should be. It updates through iTunes. There could be an error with the latest songs but it displays in my 2012 a6 fine.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 M3, 2012 ML63
The album art comes and goes. I can't figure out the pattern. It's annoying.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
H

I think it has to do with gracenote media database. Maybe it only has built in album art that was programmed in at time of production. Thus new songs downloaded from iTunes don't update since They weren't in the original build?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Car is at dealer for this issue. Well see what what they say. Also there since my Bluetooth is dropping calls when I turn off the car and open the door.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I don't think it should drop the call but transfer it back to the phone. My guess is the dealer will say "operating as designed" or "can't duplicate problem". Either of which are BS.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
I don't think it should drop the call but transfer it back to the phone. My guess is the dealer will say "operating as designed" or "can't duplicate problem". Either of which are BS.
It used to transfer the call to phone. but my wifes iphone 4s with 5.1.1 software and my iphone 5 with 6.0 both get the calls ended.
took car in to the dealer for regular service and they said can't duplicate problem.
obviously didn't even try to replicate the problem because it happens everytime. I created a stink and now the car has been there for 2 whole days. They say they're talking to MB and seeing what can be done.
Hopefully they will at least be aware the problem exhists for future fixes.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
I think it has to do with gracenote media database. Maybe it only has built in album art that was programmed in at time of production. Thus new songs downloaded from iTunes don't update since They weren't in the original build?
saw a cold play album art different what was on my ipod. I think this confirms that their proprietary gracenote has its own database different from our ipods.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
saw a cold play album art different what was on my ipod. I think this confirms that their proprietary gracenote has its own database different from our ipods.
Why would it use gracenote album covers unless it has problem reading them off the iPod?

Instead of using iPod, I am using a $8 16GB USB Flash Drive, and all the album art shows up fine (and definitely not using gracenote album art as I use custom album art for some of the songs).

I simply sync my iTunes music folder to my USB flash. I also export my iTunes playlists, correct the path and copy them to the USB flash - and the playlists work perfectly too!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Why would it use gracenote album covers unless it has problem reading them off the iPod?

Instead of using iPod, I am using a $8 16GB USB Flash Drive, and all the album art shows up fine (and definitely not using gracenote album art as I use custom album art for some of the songs).

I simply sync my iTunes music folder to my USB flash. I also export my iTunes playlists, correct the path and copy them to the USB flash - and the playlists work perfectly too!
That what this whole thread was about, I can't pull album art off the iPod. Only some old albums and no new ones. Plus I don't want to now sync/ configure some other device. I just want my iPod to work as intended.
But it does pull album Art from some other place since the album art is different from my iPod.
Still can't figure out why new album art, ie new Coldplay album doesn't show up
Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 PM

That what this whole thread was about, I can't pull album art off the iPod.
One possibility was the album art not being embedded in the audio file itself. iTunes sometimes stores the album art in a separate folder, especially those you purchase from iTunes store.

One way to test is go to the iTunes music folder directly using Windows Explorer in PC (Finder in Mac), navigate to the appropriate folder and click on the actual individual song file to highlight/select it. If the artwork is embedded, the cover art icon should show up.

If the artwork is missing in the Windows Explorer, but it shows up in iTunes, then you would have to embed it. One way is to "copy" the artwork in the preview pane on left hand column in iTunes, and "paste" it in the Get Info -> Artwork. Check again as above to confirm embedded artwork.

Retest it in your ML and see if it shows up.

Plus I don't want to now sync/ configure some other device.
It's a bit of a toss up. With iPod or iPhone, you would have to connect and disconnect the device every time you get into and out of the car.

With a USB flash drive or memory card, I would just leave it in the car until I need to update it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
One possibility was the album art not being embedded in the audio file itself. iTunes sometimes stores the album art in a separate folder, especially those you purchase from iTunes store.

One way to test is go to the iTunes music folder directly using Windows Explorer in PC (Finder in Mac), navigate to the appropriate folder and click on the actual individual song file to highlight/select it. If the artwork is embedded, the cover art icon should show up.

If the artwork is missing in the Windows Explorer, but it shows up in iTunes, then you would have to embed it. One way is to "copy" the artwork in the preview pane on left hand column in iTunes, and "paste" it in the Get Info -> Artwork. Check again as above to confirm embedded artwork.

Retest it in your ML and see if it shows up.

It's a bit of a toss up. With iPod or iPhone, you would have to connect and disconnect the device every time you get into and out of the car.

With a USB flash drive or memory card, I would just leave it in the car until I need to update it.
The artwork has always been in the get info artwork part of the file.
The iPod my wife is using is a dedicated iPod that gets updated like your Ed card, as needed. It always stays in the car.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 AM

The artwork has always been in the get info artwork part of the file.
Seeing the artwork in Get Info does not mean that the image file is embedded in the individual song file. You need to check it outside iTunes. OTOH, a deliberate "paste" in the preview pane or Get Info would force it to embed the file into the song itself.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Seeing the artwork in Get Info does not mean that the image file is embedded in the individual song file. You need to check it outside iTunes. OTOH, a deliberate "paste" in the preview pane or Get Info would force it to embed the file into the song itself.
is this how mbz's ipod integration works. my 2012 A6 just picks up all album art off the ipod without a hassle. So this is not a seamless integration then? Is this how everyone's ML is? it doesn't just pick up artwork from itunes files off an ipod/iphone?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Mine has artwork on some of the songs. I use the IPhone 4. But I never checked to see if the ones without the artwork have it on the phone.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Mine has artwork on some of the songs. I use the IPhone 4. But I never checked to see if the ones without the artwork have it on the phone.
Probably does. That's how mine is too. Only some have artwork
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Probably does. That's how mine is too. Only some have artwork
I checked tonight and found I do not get all the artwork. Doesn't bother me though.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
I checked tonight and found I do not get all the artwork. Doesn't bother me though.
It does bother me and dumbfounds me as to why they don't all show up.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
I'm pretty sure I've done this and it doesn't work. Let me Check again
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
So album art is from gracenote that is already programmed into the command hardrive. So anything you do on the iPod won't work. It does not pull art from the iPod. I've searched and supposedly you can update the data by somehow uploading the album art through playing th songs via USB and it gets saved onto the hardrive. Then the iPod songs will pull up the new album art. Pretty sorry way of doing it. It should just pull it from the iPod.