M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Did anyone downgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Did anyone downgrade?

Last week I made the decision to trade in my 2011 GL450 for the 2012 ML350. Before anyone ask and to my utter surprise, I was only upside down $2k and that was the consensus at Mercedes and non Mercedes dealerships. Anyway, I downgraded because it's just my wife and I and the GL was overkill to include the gas consumption. To be completely honest part of me also wanted the new interior design to include a few bells and whistle I didn't have.

It will be a two week wait for the ML and I have one week to go. Of course I've had a lot of time to think about my decision and uncertainty has started to creep in which is to be expected when your mind is not consumed by actually enjoying the SUV. Has anyone else transitioned from the GL to the ML and if so, what are your thoughts on stepping down? Is it a step down?

BTW, I am not new to Mercedes as this will be my third.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Seriously?

This sounds snobish. Downgrade really? Why do you think the GL is an upgrade? The GL is a different SUV!

Maybe I could understand if you had a GL 550 and downgraded to a GL450 or something.

However, this is apples to oranges - just because we got a smaller SUV doesn't mean we couldn't afford the GL. We go the ML for a combination of reasons, and for one I didn't know that the GL was a benchmark truthfully.

From your statement you listed reasons why you got the ML, so how is it downgrading when you are getting things out of the ML that will better your lifestyle? This all doesn't add up to me.

Next time I go buy another car, I will look at the GL first because I most certainly don't want to get a downgraded SUV like the ML or the GLK..Also, if I want a coupe I need to make sure I never look at the C-class that is obviously a downgrade from the SLS right!

In other words, just because a car starts a lower price doesn't mean it's a downgrade. Maybe I am thinking to into this, if so maybe I need to trade my almost 60K SUV in for a Hyundai Accent because I am obviously a little different and will be equally as happy with a $15,000 car as I am happy with our ML (bought for my fiance).
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
It appears more like downsizing than downgrading. I needed some lockable carrying capacity with a sensible mpg rating....one drive and I was blown away with the quiet comfort & smoothness of the ML.
My last Benz was a 420SEL and the ML feels like a tall S class, and without running boards looks very sleek to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
i don't think its a downgrade either. when we where shopping the fully loaded GL450 was a cheaper option in September. They were giving them away at 0 down and 600-700 a month on a 24 mo lease! But I couldn't stand not having the new upgraded interior since the old interiors look cheap and the old electronics were also outdated.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 AM

2019 C63S
Not a downgrade at all. I'm coming from an S550. The 166, if optioned properly, will be just as comfortable and posh as your GL as well as more tech and available options.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by jweezy
Seriously?

This sounds snobish. Downgrade really? Why do you think the GL is an upgrade? The GL is a different SUV!

Maybe I could understand if you had a GL 550 and downgraded to a GL450 or something.

However, this is apples to oranges - just because we got a smaller SUV doesn't mean we couldn't afford the GL. We go the ML for a combination of reasons, and for one I didn't know that the GL was a benchmark truthfully.

From your statement you listed reasons why you got the ML, so how is it downgrading when you are getting things out of the ML that will better your lifestyle? This all doesn't add up to me.

Next time I go buy another car, I will look at the GL first because I most certainly don't want to get a downgraded SUV like the ML or the GLK..Also, if I want a coupe I need to make sure I never look at the C-class that is obviously a downgrade from the SLS right!

In other words, just because a car starts a lower price doesn't mean it's a downgrade. Maybe I am thinking to into this, if so maybe I need to trade my almost 60K SUV in for a Hyundai Accent because I am obviously a little different and will be equally as happy with a $15,000 car as I am happy with our ML (bought for my fiance).

Seriously dude (assuming) calm your @ss down and take a valium or something!! My post has absolutely NOTHING to do with money but instead, size, comfort, features, etc. IMO anyone that can afford a ML can pay $5-$10k more for a GL so money IS NOT the focus here! Geeez!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:20 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Waykool plantz
It appears more like downsizing than downgrading. I needed some lockable carrying capacity with a sensible mpg rating....one drive and I was blown away with the quiet comfort & smoothness of the ML.
My last Benz was a 420SEL and the ML feels like a tall S class, and without running boards looks very sleek to me.

You have restored my faith in sensible Mercedes owners because you knew exactly what I was attempting to say (albeit poorly based on the comment from the spazzed out dude above you)!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
But I couldn't stand not having the new upgraded interior since the old interiors look cheap and the old electronics were also outdated.
Same here! Which is one reason why I jumped ship! Well that and the better MPG. The GL is a GREAT SUV but the interior is dated and the additional bells and whistles on the ML couldn't be passed up.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
i don't think its a downgrade either. when we where shopping the fully loaded GL450 was a cheaper option in September. They were giving them away at 0 down and 600-700 a month on a 24 mo lease! But I couldn't stand not having the new upgraded interior since the old interiors look cheap and the old electronics were also outdated.

Yeah the Mercedes Stealership told me they are discounting the 2012 GL's $10k+ to move them.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by GL4504ME
Seriously dude (assuming) calm your @ss down and take a valium or something!! My post has absolutely NOTHING to do with money but instead, size, comfort, features, etc. IMO anyone that can afford a ML can pay $5-$10k more for a GL so money IS NOT the focus here! Geeez!
I am not trippin. Just think about it man, lets say you have a house 10,000 sq. feet.

You decide to "DOWNSIZE" to a smaller house lets just say 6,000 sq feet.

Your the new family on the block and your welcome message to everyone in the hood is " So who else downgraded? I use to have a bigger place however the upkeep was too much so I needed to downgrade"

Do you actually think your neighbors are going to think your intention was not to make yourself seem like you could live somewhere more expensive, however your just going to go with this instead.

What about the people who work hard to live in a 6,000K place? The people just getting by? Or the people who think 6,000K is just enough and from their standpoint you just said they all are living a house you consider to be a downgrade.

regardless, maybe in my previous post I came off the wrong way. I wasn't really tripping at all. I posted what I thought about it.

To add: From Wiki:
Verb

downgrade (third-person singular simple present downgrades, present participle downgrading, simple past and past participle downgraded)
  1. To place lower in position.The stock was downgraded from 'buy' to 'sell'.
  2. To 'dumb down', reduce in complexity, or remove unnecessary parts.
  3. (meteorology) to reduce the official estimate of a storm's intensity.
  4. (computing) To revert software back to an older version.
See what I mean?

If you meant downsize, say downsize...this is not a math problem forum - we shouldn't have to figure out what you really mean.

Typical Mercedes owner comment was a bit much huh? I mean we all are Benz owners so your kinda insulting everyone. I never heard any bad comments about Benz, yet I do hear "Dude your ML is nice"
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM

GL450
I am not trippin. Just think about it man, lets say you have a house 10,000 sq. feet.

You decide to "DOWNSIZE" to a smaller house lets just say 6,000 sq feet.

Your the new family on the block and your welcome message to everyone in the hood is " So who else downgraded? I use to have a bigger place however the upkeep was too much so I needed to downgrade"

Do you actually think your neighbors are going to think your intention was not to make yourself seem like you could live somewhere more expensive, however your just going to go with this instead.

What about the people who work hard to live in a 6,000K place? The people just getting by? Or the people who think 6,000K is just enough and from their standpoint you just said they all are living a house you consider to be a downgrade.

regardless, maybe in my previous post I came off the wrong way. I wasn't really tripping at all. I posted what I thought about it.

To add: From Wiki:
Verb

downgrade (third-person singular simple present downgrades, present participle downgrading, simple past and past participle downgraded)
  1. To place lower in position.The stock was downgraded from 'buy' to 'sell'.
  2. To 'dumb down', reduce in complexity, or remove unnecessary parts.
  3. (meteorology) to reduce the official estimate of a storm's intensity.
  4. (computing) To revert software back to an older version.
See what I mean?

If you meant downsize, say downsize...this is not a math problem forum - we shouldn't have to figure out what you really mean.

Typical Mercedes owner comment was a bit much huh? I mean we all are Benz owners so your kinda insulting everyone. I never heard any bad comments about Benz, yet I do hear "Dude your ML is nice"
Man go spend time with your girlfriend or something because you are seriosuly spazzing out and this is really much to do about nothing. I posted this on two forums and out of maybe 20 responses, you are the ONLY person who took my post as in insult. Nevertheless, I am really not interested in having an online tough man war so YOU WIN!!!!!!

Oh BTW, I am not new to Mercedes as the 2012 ML will be my third. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and relax!

Last edited by GL4504ME; 03-04-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM

2012 ML350
We didn't intend to downgrade, coming from a Lexus RX330. However, given the number of problems we've had, the rather awful MBrace, and poor dealer service dept (compared to Lexus service), we feel like we took a significant downgrade.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
We didn't intend to downgrade, coming from a Lexus RX330. However, given the number of problems we've had, the rather awful MBrace, and poor dealer service dept (compared to Lexus service), we feel like we took a significant downgrade.
They are pretty much giving away new RX350's these days, why don't you go trade your ML if you regret buying it?

Personally I don't live with problems that irritate me, I find solutions.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
I'm selling my daily driver GL500 for the ML350.

Will definitely miss the size of the GL with two infants, but the ML350 would be for the wife and kids only. I'm moving onto another truck
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
They are pretty much giving away new RX350's these days, why don't you go trade your ML if you regret buying it?

Personally I don't live with problems that irritate me, I find solutions.
The ML actually sells for less than comparably equipped RX's here. Dealers had (and still have) many ML's, we'd have to have waited for an RX. If they're selling so cheap where you are then you should buy up a bunch and head south.

As to not living with problems, that's a fairy tale world that nobody inhabits. Every day several hundred people die of problems they'd rather not live with, not because of lack of money or insurance, but because the solutions don't exist. No amount of money will give me the tools to cure someone of many forms of cancer. Same goes for many areas of life, even cars. And sometimes, if the solution needs to come from corporate engineers or local dealer mechanics, posting about those problems on boards like this and bringing attention to them is what drives the engineers and mechanics to find a solution.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
I've had some of the same issues as you, but having spent a lot of time this past year driving an RX330, I'm not sure I would consider ANYTHING a downgrade. The RX330 has to have the numbest, most isolated steering feel of any vehicle I've driven in recent years. I felt somewhat unsafe driving it through mountain passes. I couldn't tell what was happening through the steering wheel--absolutely no feedback to the driver as to grip levels, for instance.

I don't think the ML350 handles particularly well either--it's certainly not in the same league as the X5 or Cayenne when it comes to handling, but the ML is far superior in driving dynamics to the RX. I also find the drivetrain, both the gas and diesel versions, to be superior to the RX. And the RX can't tow my boat.

It sounds like part of your problem may be your dealer service. I only have experience with mine, and it has been excellent in addressing the issues I've had. Those issues, by the way, should not have happened even in a new model, but at least my service department is doing their best to keep my happy.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
The ML actually sells for less than comparably equipped RX's here. Dealers had (and still have) many ML's, we'd have to have waited for an RX. If they're selling so cheap where you are then you should buy up a bunch and head south.

As to not living with problems, that's a fairy tale world that nobody inhabits. Every day several hundred people die of problems they'd rather not live with, not because of lack of money or insurance, but because the solutions don't exist. No amount of money will give me the tools to cure someone of many forms of cancer. Same goes for many areas of life, even cars. And sometimes, if the solution needs to come from corporate engineers or local dealer mechanics, posting about those problems on boards like this and bringing attention to them is what drives the engineers and mechanics to find a solution.
I was not trying to discredit your problems with your ML, I know how frustrating it is to have problems with a vehicle you were so excited about buying. My suggestion to move back to the RX was serious, not facisious. Why put up with substandard product?

As for comparing car problems to cancer??
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
I bought the ML specifically for my fiance. Why? Its safe - proven safe. Comfortable for a 270 lbs 6'6" guy like myself (Lebron build) in the front, passenger or even the backseat.

Yes. we have had issues does it make me dislike the car? no. Its the first year and things happen, I have had not issues that would ruin my driving ability. The only issue I had is the mirror lights - and I didnt even know they were their until I joined this forum.

We looked at the GL, even though its a larger vehicle it was not as comfortable as the ML. The fact it has 3 rows of seats does not mean its larger in the two rows of seats. Not saying anything bad about the GL, I am stating "I" felt more comfortable in the ML350.

I will be buying another car, which seems like a Hyundai Accent 5-door for MY daily. The ML will be our family car, if we have more kids more than two, we will get a three row SUV. It will be a cheaper SUV with good safety like the ML.

[To the orginal poster - I was not insulted - apologies if I came off the wrong way, I took it differently than you intended that doesn't mean I was offended. It's all good, if your planning on staying on the ML forum we need to move on.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM

GL450
I bought the ML specifically for my fiance. Why? Its safe - proven safe. Comfortable for a 270 lbs 6'6" guy like myself (Lebron build) in the front, passenger or even the backseat.

Yes. we have had issues does it make me dislike the car? no. Its the first year and things happen, I have had not issues that would ruin my driving ability. The only issue I had is the mirror lights - and I didnt even know they were their until I joined this forum.

We looked at the GL, even though its a larger vehicle it was not as comfortable as the ML. The fact it has 3 rows of seats does not mean its larger in the two rows of seats. Not saying anything bad about the GL, I am stating "I" felt more comfortable in the ML350.

I will be buying another car, which seems like a Hyundai Accent 5-door for MY daily. The ML will be our family car, if we have more kids more than two, we will get a three row SUV. It will be a cheaper SUV with good safety like the ML.

[To the orginal poster - I was not insulted - apologies if I came off the wrong way, I took it differently than you intended that doesn't mean I was offended. It's all good, if your planning on staying on the ML forum we need to move on.
You bring up an excellent side topic that I never considered. In your opinion, which is roomier...the back seat of the ML or the back seat of the GL? I always noticed that the back seat of the GL wasn't as roomy as the overall size of the vehicle may suggest. As for the third row seats, I only raised them once during the past 12 months and that was when the family was in town for the holidays.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by caf
The RX330 has to have the numbest, most isolated steering feel of any vehicle I've driven in recent years. I felt somewhat unsafe driving it through mountain passes. I couldn't tell what was happening through the steering wheel--absolutely no feedback to the driver as to grip levels, for instance.
First let me say I DO NOT get offended when folks bash a car/SUV that I happen to own. As a matter of fact I think it adds to a more livelier discussion. Now with that said, and not in defense of the ML, I have to agree with the above quote. Lexus makes some phenomenal automobiles! I've owned two and never visited the dealership (other than for routine maintenance) during my time of ownership. However, Lexus makes some of the most boring, lifeless, non responsive, numb feeling vehicles I've ever experienced. Like the quote, I felt unsafe rounding a corner in my old GX470 and playing with the suspension settings did little to help.

I can't say I will never be a Lexus owner again but I can say they have a long way to go in terms of connecting the driver to the road.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 PM

335i
GL to ML is a downgrade. ML to GLK is a downgrade. S to E is a downgrade. E to C is a downgrade. That's not derogatory unless you feel it is. If you do, that's a different issue altogether.

what are your thoughts on stepping down?
So, what was the reason you bought the GL over the ML just last year? Anything change? GL is a big car but sounds like the ML is big enough. If I were in your shoes, I'd downgrade just for the new generation of stuff (but opt for the 550 - I like burning gas). . .

Last edited by rush1169; 03-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by rush1169
GL to ML is a downgrade. ML to GLK is a downgrade. S to E is a downgrade. E to C is a downgrade. That's not derogatory unless you feel it is. If you do, that's a different issue altogether.
This is your opinion which is fine, you may be using "downgrade" incorrectly.

An example of your "downgrade" would be a situation as if you go from a $350,000 6,000 sq ft house in the suburbs, yet you downgrade to a 1,000,000 - 1,500 sq ft condo in the city. The condo is smaller, so is it a downgrade?

Just because something is smaller doesn't mean it a downgrade. Most of Mercedes use the similar parts and hardware underpins to build most of their cars. Getting a smaller Benz doesn't mean is a "downgrade" to a bigger car. The C-Class is not a downgrade to a E-Class nor is the E-Class a downgrade from the CLS. All these cars are different sizes and different purpose oriented. Going from an E-Class to a C-Class is called downsizing...not downgrading.

No one is insulted or offended. To add to my opinion, these are definitions from the dictonary.

down·size (dounsz)
v. down·sized, down·siz·ing, down·siz·es
v.tr. 1. To reduce in number or size: a corporation that downsized its personnel in response to a poor economy.
2. To dismiss or lay off from work: workers who were downsized during the recession.
3. To make in a smaller size: cars that were downsized during an era of high gasoline prices.

down·grade (doungrd) n. 1. A descending slope, as in a road.
2. A turn or trend downward.
3. A decline, as in fortune, status, or condition: a neighborhood on the downgrade.

tr.v. down·grad·ed, down·grad·ing, down·grades 1. To lower the status or salary of.
2. To minimize the importance, value, or reputation of. See Synonyms at decry, demote.

Last edited by jweezy; 03-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM

335i
An example of your "downgrade" would be a situation as if you go from a $350,000 6,000 sq ft house in the suburbs, yet you downgrade to a 1,000,000 - 1,500 sq ft condo in the city. The condo is smaller, so is it a downgrade?
The condo is an upgrade in price and a downgrade in size. . .It may have a downgrade in amenities or an upgrade in location. . .The OP didn't use the term downgrade as a derogatory status jab, ergo your backlash was out of context, that's all. "Downgrade" is not exclusive to refer to "class" or "status", it's meaning must be applied to the context.

Going from a GL to an ML is a downgrade in MSRP, horsepower, size, wheelbase, cargo capacity, passenger capacity, insurance rates, and weight. Going from a GL to an ML is an upgrade in fuel economy, and in the case, electronics. Heck, the OP (as I do) may consider the smaller size of the ML to actually be an upgrade to a GL. As a status symbol, it depends on the interpreter, but the OP wasn't using 'downgrade' in a 'status' or 'class' context he used it to mean 'a decline' in all those things that decline between the two models. . .I'm just trying to help you see where your responses were not warranted, simple mistake, no biggie.

Last edited by rush1169; 03-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by rush1169
The condo is an upgrade in price and a downgrade in size. . .It may have a downgrade in amenities or an upgrade in location. . .The OP didn't use the term downgrade as a derogatory status jab, ergo your backlash was out of context, that's all. "Downgrade" is not exclusive to refer to "class" or "status", it's meaning must be applied to the context.

Going from a GL to an ML is a downgrade in MSRP, horsepower, size, wheelbase, cargo capacity, passenger capacity, insurance rates, and weight. Going from a GL to an ML is an upgrade in fuel economy, and in the case, electronics. Heck, the OP (as I do) may consider the smaller size of the ML to actually be an upgrade to a GL. As a status symbol, it depends on the interpreter, but the OP wasn't using 'downgrade' in a 'status' or 'class' context he used it to mean 'a decline' in all those things that decline between the two models. . .I'm just trying to help you see where your responses were not warranted, simple mistake, no biggie.
As the OP, I couldn't have said it better myself and as you have read, I tried. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
I went from '02 ML to '07 GL to '12 ML and could not be happier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did anyone downgrade?