M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

0-60 comparisons on 2011-12 ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford F150 SVT Raptor and 2013 MB GL450
0-60 comparisons on 2011-12 ML63

Hello everyone! I currently do not own a Benz and never did, but my god am I so excited.

Currently i'm leasing(ends 09/2013) a 2010 Cadillac Escalade(202.5") "Luxury Trim" and this truck is a total joke.

I want to step in the Mercedes field and currently have my sights on the 2012 ML63 AMG(did not test drive) because of its size(189"), Comfort, 4MATIC and somewhat better fuel economy that comes with it, but the S-Class length(206.5") was kind of a turn off for me(longer than Escalade), but the E63 AMG also looks good(did not test drive) but kind of wary of the ride quality since its not an SUV, but maybe im wrong.

And finally to the point,

why are the 0-60 times same on the 2011 and 2012 models ?

Not that I care about it but i'm just interested.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Daniel:

So with the obviously issue of size - I have been in a Escalade, you should understand that the ML will be a slight decrease in interior space. Remember that the Escalade is basically a Suburban which is basically a truck (silverado/Serria). Less trunk space and less front room. You will sit lower to the ground.

If you are still interested. The ML has many aspects that are better, such as technology and off road assistance - however the Escalade sits higher off the ground. Thing is the long wheel base is sort of a draw back off-road.

ML63 will be faster, of course. It's always more of a dramatic difference when going to something smaller than your current vehicle.

Have you sat in one yet (ML)? How did you like it?

Why are you comparing a S-Class to a Escalade?

S-Class vehicles are meant to be long - they are large vehicles. Their are also many many cars that are longer than the 189", their are also many that are shorter - so what does that mean?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reply jweezy!

I didn't mean to compare the S-Class against the Escalade, but my only concern was it's overall length, hence the 4" extra length which is negligible, but still this sedan is longer than the SUV.

The ML is just a shortened version of the GL, thats why its a real real winner.

I am a professional driver and currently holding a CDL Class-A license, so parking for me is a piece of cake anywhere.

I test drove the GL450 when I was cross shopping with the Escalade and I really loved how the GL performed, but chose the Escalade just to support an all USA product, which I regret.

I used to own a 2007 Q7 4.2 Premium, it was a great car but the ride quality and dealership was rough.

I just want something shorter than the Escalade or S-Class for that matter

I will test drive the ML but I'm pretty sure it will be similiar to the GL.

Thanks.

Last edited by Daniel NY; 04-15-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Keep in mind the GL, ML, R, and upcoming C are all made in Alabama thus creating jobs for the American market and bringing dollars to the states, etc.

I don't understand why you think the S will not drive as well as an ML/ Escalade because it's not a truck. That logically doesn't make any sense to me. I've driven the new S, last gen S, and the gen before that and they all drive so nice. Much better than the MLs that I've experienced/ any SUV really. I'd say, just take a test drive in said models to get a better feel for what you want and if it's what you're looking for.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Keep in mind the GL, ML, R, and upcoming C are all made in Alabama thus creating jobs for the American market and bringing dollars to the states, etc.
That I know but the company is based in Stuttgart as how people say...

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
I don't understand why you think the S will not drive as well as an ML/ Escalade because it's not a truck. That logically doesn't make any sense to me. I've driven the new S, last gen S, and the gen before that and they all drive so nice. Much better than the MLs that I've experienced/ any SUV really. I'd say, just take a test drive in said models to get a better feel for what you want and if it's what you're looking for.
I did not say anything bad about the S-Class's drive quality and I know for a fact its the best Mercedes has, but I dont feel like driving a short limo around town...

I like the feeling of sitting high in a high quality automobile.

Ofcourse I will be taking the test drives and I think this has gone abit
Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Not sure your going to get better fuel economy with the ML63 over the Caddy. Its all in the right foot alot of times on both vehicles.
What did you not like about the Caddy? Also, the ML is more than just a shortened GL.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM

2010 ZR1 2011 JGC Overland 2013 ML63 on order
Greg,

Please let us know as soon as the 13MY ML's can be ordered.

Thanks..
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Daniel

Glad your still interested in the ML. Of course ride quality is more of an opinion, so if you believe that something rides better than another - its up to you - thats what matters. Personally, I have never drove a BMW that has a more comfortable ride than a comparable Mercedes - I am sure some will differ. Thing is I think that BMW suspension is great for sports cars yet to hard for luxury, mostly the SUVs. That is just a personal opinion. We have a BMW and it is a huge difference in comfort when driving on the highway, however its a sports car. Not a "this makes me sleepy" kind of ride.

So now that we know more about what you are looking for, and another forum member has stated that MLs are made right here in the USA. I know that the company is based in another country - thing is those people in Alabama may not have any income if it were for that country overseas. That is money the US government doesn't have to pay for in regards to unemployement and other costs. Plus its great for stocks and providing jobs for other companies that supply the parts for Benz. It's great. That it self is worth a little bit extra in regards to cost that I was willing to pay.

Although, it seems like the ML is a shortened version of the ML, I think it has gone the other way. Now the GL has the exact same interior as the ML and has a very similar look and feel to it. So if you want that space you could look into the GL still and have that new Benz style.

On the other hand I found that the GL front interior & rear space was slightly smaller than the ML. Maybe it's larger on paper - however when I was at the dealership it was hard for me to get comfortable then again I am 6'6 - 275 lbs. The ML I can sit in the back and my head doesn't touch the roof. The GL on the other hand my knees were touching the front seats and my head was touching the roof.

So even though it's a overall longer vehicle it seems like MB made some adjustments to make room for that third row seating. I could be wrong and I don't want to say for sure - what I know is I couldn't fit like I can in the ML. In the 2013 it may have been improved.

I understand what you are saying about the S-Class - it does look as though it is about 3 inches smaller than being a perfect vehicle to rent for a wedding.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jweezy
Daniel

Glad your still interested in the ML. Of course ride quality is more of an opinion, so if you believe that something rides better than another - its up to you - thats what matters. Personally, I have never drove a BMW that has a more comfortable ride than a comparable Mercedes - I am sure some will differ. Thing is I think that BMW suspension is great for sports cars yet to hard for luxury, mostly the SUVs. That is just a personal opinion. We have a BMW and it is a huge difference in comfort when driving on the highway, however its a sports car. Not a "this makes me sleepy" kind of ride.

So now that we know more about what you are looking for, and another forum member has stated that MLs are made right here in the USA. I know that the company is based in another country - thing is those people in Alabama may not have any income if it were for that country overseas. That is money the US government doesn't have to pay for in regards to unemployement and other costs. Plus its great for stocks and providing jobs for other companies that supply the parts for Benz. It's great. That it self is worth a little bit extra in regards to cost that I was willing to pay.

Although, it seems like the ML is a shortened version of the ML, I think it has gone the other way. Now the GL has the exact same interior as the ML and has a very similar look and feel to it. So if you want that space you could look into the GL still and have that new Benz style.

On the other hand I found that the GL front interior & rear space was slightly smaller than the ML. Maybe it's larger on paper - however when I was at the dealership it was hard for me to get comfortable then again I am 6'6 - 275 lbs. The ML I can sit in the back and my head doesn't touch the roof. The GL on the other hand my knees were touching the front seats and my head was touching the roof.

So even though it's a overall longer vehicle it seems like MB made some adjustments to make room for that third row seating. I could be wrong and I don't want to say for sure - what I know is I couldn't fit like I can in the ML. In the 2013 it may have been improved.

I understand what you are saying about the S-Class - it does look as though it is about 3 inches smaller than being a perfect vehicle to rent for a wedding.
Thanks for your input and understanding!

My main reason to leave the Cadillac field are these annoyances:

1. Center caps always stolen(didnt order on the 2nd time).

2. 2nd Row seat bottoms are short and are so so on comfort.

3. Useless 3rd row(stolen once) and dont fold flat.

4. Rear live axle.

5. A steering column made from sh*t, so it can be stolen within 30 second or less.

6. Squeeking door panels on both rear doors and drivers side.

7. A Sh*tty center console that squeeks and has a broken lock on the top portion.

8. Outdated OHV engine and its useless Cylinder Deactivation feature which my average consumption is still at 11.3mpg

9. No rainsensing wipers and alot of other features removed as the Escalade went further into its model years and the price kept going up.

10. Annoying and I mean really Annoying rough idle.

11. Smart-Key entry is of no avail on a $74,000+ car.

12. Peeling chrome on rims and door sides.

13. Ventilated/Heated seats fail after about 8months from last repair.

14. Bad service from three dealers.

I think thats its ? if anything ill add it here....

My sister owns a 2011 X5 xDrive50i and I totally dislike it.

Last edited by Daniel NY; 04-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 PM

2011 M3, 2012 ML63
Sounds like you might like the ML63. However, you should be prepared that this is a much smaller vehicle than the Escalade and GL in terms of carrying capacity. As long as you don't need the space, the ML63 will be a very different driving experience. Much more nimble, quicker and likely somewhat better gas mileage although I agree with the statement that it all depends on your right foot.

Can't speak to the long term reliability but it will almost certainly be better than the Cadillac (family member owns one).

However, if you are in a high theft zone, I'm not sure this is going to solve your issues with theft - It is a $100K vehicle.

Last edited by WCH BOS; 04-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
2013 orders

Originally Posted by Tony007
Greg,

Please let us know as soon as the 13MY ML's can be ordered.

Thanks..
Will do. Hopefully this week sometime. Mine will be going in posthaste.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Sounds like you might like the ML63. However, you should be prepared that this is a much smaller vehicle than the Escalade and GL in terms of carrying capacity. As long as you don't need the space, the ML63 will be a very different driving experience. Much more nimble, quicker and likely somewhat better gas mileage although I agree with the statement that it all depends on your right foot.

Can't speak to the long term reliability but it will almost certainly be better than the Cadillac (family member owns one).

However, if you are in a high theft zone, I'm not sure this is going to solve your issues with theft - It is a $100K vehicle.
I could be wrong, howerver this may help. Just a friendly debate if thats okay.

It was to my understanding that cars that were stolen often were cars of high value to the underground market. Mostly for stealing parts, the Benz is not a vehicle that would have many pickers because of the rare kind it is. Honda Civics, Dodge Rams, Accords, Corallas and some pricer common vehicles like Navigators and Escalades make it on to the list because of their somewhat high volume. These parts are used to sell to body shops and similar who buy these parts dirt cheap compared to buying them retail.

If someone sold the parts to a ML63 they would have a hard time trying to find a buyer - so he may return the parts back to the owner...
It is not very common to find a car thief to just steal a car and try to keep it, the most common is it gets shiped overseas, parted out (its never located), or the thief will use it for a short period of time to commit another crime.

If the guy steals a ML63, the cops arent catching him.lol
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by Daniel NY
Thanks for your input and understanding!

My main reason to leave the Cadillac field are these annoyances:

1. Center caps always stolen(didnt order on the 2nd time).

2. 2nd Row seat bottoms are short and are so so on comfort.

3. Useless 3rd row(stolen once) and dont fold flat.

4. Rear live axle.

5. A steering column made from sh*t, so it can be stolen within 30 second or less.

6. Squeeking door panels on both rear doors and drivers side.

7. A Sh*tty center console that squeeks and has a broken lock on the top portion.

8. Outdated OHV engine and its useless Cylinder Deactivation feature which my average consumption is still at 11.3mpg

9. No rainsensing wipers and alot of other features removed as the Escalade went further into its model years and the price kept going up.

10. Annoying and I mean really Annoying rough idle.

11. Smart-Key entry is of no avail on a $74,000+ car.

12. Peeling chrome on rims and door sides.

13. Ventilated/Heated seats fail after about 8months from last repair.

14. Bad service from three dealers.

I think thats its ? if anything ill add it here....

My sister owns a 2011 X5 xDrive50i and I totally dislike it.
That is very unacceptable - good thing is your leasing it. The VERY good thing is that Mercedes has been doing very well in terms of quailty and reliablity over the last couple of years in comparison to other luxury makers (of course Lexus is good) yet they loss points on safety and the ability to use the RX350 as a freakin SUV. The standard RX can only tow 1,500 pounds. (about 10 bags of concrete and the trailer).

I am a first time Benz owner and the service department has been highly professional and worth the extra money paid for the vehicle.

I had a Dodge before and not one time did I find an acceptable dealership - lies of broken or old parts (not knowing I did my own work on my car). I couldn't tell you how many times they lied directly to my face. How about damaging the car (more than once), only providing temporary fixes. Did I say they treat you like shiat???

Even though I loved the hell out of my Charger - the thing rattled like a mexican band. Now that I think about it, it was made in Mexico...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM

2011 M3, 2012 ML63
Originally Posted by jweezy

If someone sold the parts to a ML63 they would have a hard time trying to find a buyer - so he may return the parts back to the owner...
It is not very common to find a car thief to just steal a car and try to keep it, the most common is it gets shiped overseas, parted out (its never located), or the thief will use it for a short period of time to commit another crime.
ML63s are generally stolen and shipped overseas intact. It is a limited production vehicle that costs much more in other countries (South America, Middle East or China) than here. If the OP parks in an area where people steal small parts off of the car, then it doesn't matter what kind of car - this will happen.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by WCH BOS
ML63s are generally stolen and shipped overseas intact. It is a limited production vehicle that costs much more in other countries (South America, Middle East or China) than here. If the OP parks in an area where people steal small parts off of the car, then it doesn't matter what kind of car - this will happen.
I figured, OP get that LOWJACK!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM

2003 Mercedes G500
The S-class is the best car ever in its class. I have driven all generations and never felt like i was driving a limo, Im 29 yrs old by the way. Its the best car I have ever had and I had 11 cars in my lifetime already. Im looking into getting the new ML-class only for the reason of being able tow my fishing boat and I do like the design.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
What does you being 29 years old have to do with anything? With all due respect
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Can you use the COMAND system while driving ? address entry, etc,.

Thanks.

My 0-60 question is still unanswered , oh well i'll just put it at 4.0sec
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
2012 vs. 2011 0-60 times

Originally Posted by Daniel NY
And finally to the point,

why are the 0-60 times same on the 2011 and 2012 models ?

Not that I care about it but i'm just interested.
Power is only up 3% over the 2011 and weight is up 2%, so P/W is virtually the same. True, there is more torque, but the engine is not a high-rever that is best for 0-60 times. So, they are spec'd at the same 4.8s, though I expect that can be bettered by 0.1 or so. The Performance Pack is good for 0.1s.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Daimler's numbers:
2011: 5.0
2012: 4.8 (4.7 with the Performance Package)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I agree on alot reasons on the Caddy complaints but the GM 6.2 LSX engine is far from outdated. The Corvette has a derevitive of that engine(LS3) and makes just under 400rwhp stock.