M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

True of False: what is your opinion on the topic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2000
True of False: what is your opinion on the topic?

Hello all,
I stumble across this website as I was seaching for some info regarding our interest in buying a new ML350 SUV.
Last month, we were negotiating with a local dealer for a vehicle that seems to fit our interest. We offered at 12% off MSRP and didn't want to budge on it. Dealer said max he could do is 11% off. Again, we didn't want to back off b/c a co-worker bought an E350 at close to 14-15% off from the same dealer. Needless to say, We didn't want to pay more than we have to.
Interestingly, after weeks of hard stand, I figure the dealer not willing to sell one at 12%, so I went to talk to the guy to see if he would still honor the 11% off. To my surprise, the guy not does not even honor the 11% off that he agreed in our last negotiation, stating that the SUV's are short in stock, as of now mid April, and no need for him to give such discount.
It is very understanding that demand and supply issue reflects on car prices, but I am not sure if this is indeed true in this situation, or the guy just plays psychology on me that now he knows that I want the car and refuses to honor what he has mentioned before at 11%off?
So, what is your opinion on this issue? I appreciate all your feedbacks and comments. Thanks in advance!
ML350toy
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,180 Likes on 849 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by ML350toy
Hello all,
I stumble across this website as I was seaching for some info regarding our interest in buying a new ML350 SUV.
Last month, we were negotiating with a local dealer for a vehicle that seems to fit our interest. We offered at 12% off MSRP and didn't want to budge on it. Dealer said max he could do is 11% off. Again, we didn't want to back off b/c a co-worker bought an E350 at close to 14-15% off from the same dealer. Needless to say, We didn't want to pay more than we have to.
Interestingly, after weeks of hard stand, I figure the dealer not willing to sell one at 12%, so I went to talk to the guy to see if he would still honor the 11% off. To my surprise, the guy not does not even honor the 11% off that he agreed in our last negotiation, stating that the SUV's are short in stock, as of now mid April, and no need for him to give such discount.
It is very understanding that demand and supply issue reflects on car prices, but I am not sure if this is indeed true in this situation, or the guy just plays psychology on me that now he knows that I want the car and refuses to honor what he has mentioned before at 11%off?
So, what is your opinion on this issue? I appreciate all your feedbacks and comments. Thanks in advance!
ML350toy
Not sure how your mentality came about. Dealers have a business to run. Supply and demand affect how flexible they are, as well as less visible things like factory incentives. For a new, hot model even 10% off list is major. If a thousand or two is make or break for you, may e you should look elsewhere.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-21-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM

2012 ML350 BLUETEC, 2011 Audi A4 Avant
ML350 is on high demand right now and can't believe you've turned down 11% off MSRP, let alone for that 1% difference. Unfortunately you snooze you lose.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM

F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
i got less than 10% discount when ordred in january after shopping a few dealers that was the best i could get.Market dictates pricing unfortunately for you this time. I always got a much better discount on other vehicules i orderd before but this time that was it. BTW i love my ml no regrets.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by ML350toy
Hello all,
ML350toy
I would forget that dealer and find one that participates in a car buying program, like that offered by Costco, American Express, BJs., AAA, or USAA. Or you can threaten to go to one unless your current dealer matches the discount.

If you are a US Military vet (or child or spouse thereof), then USAA is likely your best deal. It's usually under invoice, and MB subsidizes your purchase by $3000, which makes it more accepted by dealers. Add the current conquest program discount of $1000 (if you are driving a competitor's car, like Lexus, BMW, etc.), and that should take you way under invoice.

Costco is usually $500 to $1500 under invoice, Amex is around the same, supposedly. Some dealers are willing to add the conquest discount, although the only have a limit allocation of conquest discounts to offer, I'm told.

For all of these deal, the provider is unlikely to give you the discount over the phone. They want you to go into the dealer to learn more.

I have an order for a MY13 ML550 with my local MB dealer who officially doesn't participate in the Costco program or others, but they will honor the Costco pricing to get me to buy it from them.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
If you work for a company that participates in an employee rewards/discount program, and they are involved in the MB fleet program, you can take advantage of this plan. My dealer gave me these discounts UNDER invoice. Worked out to about 8.5% off MSRP, however without this incentive, no dealer in my area was willing to go below 6%.

MB Fleet

Last edited by dgiturbo; 04-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gplank
I would forget that dealer and find one that participates in a car buying program, like that offered by Costco, American Express, BJs., AAA, or USAA. Or you can threaten to go to one unless your current dealer matches the discount.

If you are a US Military vet (or child or spouse thereof), then USAA is likely your best deal. It's usually under invoice, and MB subsidizes your purchase by $3000, which makes it more accepted by dealers. Add the current conquest program discount of $1000 (if you are driving a competitor's car, like Lexus, BMW, etc.), and that should take you way under invoice.

Costco is usually $500 to $1500 under invoice, Amex is around the same, supposedly. Some dealers are willing to add the conquest discount, although the only have a limit allocation of conquest discounts to offer, I'm told.

For all of these deal, the provider is unlikely to give you the discount over the phone. They want you to go into the dealer to learn more.

I have an order for a MY13 ML550 with my local MB dealer who officially doesn't participate in the Costco program or others, but they will honor the Costco pricing to get me to buy it from them.
AFAIK, multiple discounts (conquest, MBCA & fleet) cannot be combined.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM

2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
Originally Posted by serge01
i got less than 10% discount when ordred in january
This is a very good deal for a new MB model in the Montreal Region. Congrats.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jean7of9
This is a very good deal for a new MB model in the Montreal Region. Congrats.
E didn't say how much less
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Last Nov, I was able to buy a 2012 GLK350 for 12% off at a Houston TX dealership, USAA discount, 1.9% financing thru Mercedes, they paid first 2 months' payments (= $1200 savings), plus dealer threw in a $600 back up sensor. Pretty dang good deal.
This March, I got a 10% discount off a 2012 ML350, at another Houston dealership, USAA discount, got my own financing. Not as good a deal, but pretty pleased with the deal, since they were giving me much more for the trade-in than other dealer, & since ML is in much more demand in the area.

You have to deal a few facts:
- MB dealerships are For-Profit, we have to understand they'll try to make as much profit as possible, & no way they'll sell you a car at a loss
- They make $$$ in several different ways:
1. car price
2. trade-in price
3. financing
4. service & maint contracts
So if they "give" you a great deal in one, they'll make it up with another.
Meaning if they sell you the car for way under invoice, they'll sock it to you in the trade-in, or financing...
Thus, I try to keep all negociations separate so that I'll get all the best deals separately....
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM

2012 ML 350 BT, 2016 E400 Coupe (preping to order soon)
I bought my ML350 Bluetec in early February. I started looking at a local dealership and negotiated a price of $300 over invoice. Something just didn't feel right about the price and the dealership, so I went through edmunds.com and requested bids from a number of other dealerships in the area. I was surprised at how consistent a majority of the responses were, but one dealership, which apparently really wanted the sale, offered 12.5% off MSRP. I floated that price range with another dealership and received an offer 12% below MSRP. IMO bidding out the business is the way to go, particularly if you have a number of dealerships that are convenient in your area.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 AM

S2000
I would like to appreciate those who stopped by to read the question and truely appreciate those who take your time to provide your valuable comments/opinions. As you can already see, this is my first time ever set out to purchase a luxury vehicle and clueless where I should make my decision, although I could only based my judgement from a coworker E350. If I have done my research more thoroughly, I should have bought at 11% off than trying to bargain for 12%. I am aware of 1% difference between to decide buying or not buying but never aware that the dealer would back out on their end -- claiming demand and supply issue. More over, I forgot to mention in my original post that the car was not even in stock at the time (dealer will have to get it from somewhere). I don't blame the dealer for valuing the car due to supply and demand, but not keeping one's word is an integrity issue. If supply were short, dealer has no need to agree to sell at 11% off in the first place. Anyway, it is a good learning experience going through this process and i'll be wiser next time ordering my new ML. Once again, just want to wrap up the question with my thought process and greatly appreciate all of you for sharing your opinions.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by cobalt210
I bought my ML350 Bluetec in early February. I started looking at a local dealership and negotiated a price of $300 over invoice. Something just didn't feel right about the price and the dealership, so I went through edmunds.com and requested bids from a number of other dealerships in the area. I was surprised at how consistent a majority of the responses were, but one dealership, which apparently really wanted the sale, offered 12.5% off MSRP. I floated that price range with another dealership and received an offer 12% below MSRP. IMO bidding out the business is the way to go, particularly if you have a number of dealerships that are convenient in your area.

Could you tell me if any of these bids included any incentives or rebates, like Conquest? Or were they related to a fleet discount program, like CostCo or Amex or USAA?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by gplank
Could you tell me if any of these bids included any incentives or rebates, like Conquest? Or were they related to a fleet discount program, like CostCo or Amex or USAA?

Thanks
My guess is yes, but I have no way to verify it. I did tell this dealer, and others when asked, about my trade prior to receiving the bids. I'm trading in an Acura MDX, which qualifies me for Conquest, but I never saw the details about how the final price was arrived at. I just took it at face value. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by cobalt210; 05-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
I'm still of belief that the guy getting his car delivered from a bid will be getting a DEMO. No dealer needs to sell any ML below cost. The deal he said he got on bid is priced about the same as a demo/factory driven ML locally. But heck I hope I'm wrong and happy for him if all works out
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dougiebear
I'm still of belief that the guy getting his car delivered from a bid will be getting a DEMO. No dealer needs to sell any ML below cost. The deal he said he got on bid is priced about the same as a demo/factory driven ML locally. But heck I hope I'm wrong and happy for him if all works out
My only response is that this car is being built to my spec and in the process of being delivered from Vance, AL - at least that's what the SA tells me. The odometer disclosure statement I have in my posession reads that the car will not have more than 25 miles on it at delivery. I can't believe the dealership would spin the odometer and somehow find the exact car I speced out as a demo. I'll post some pictures when I get it.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by cobalt210
My only response is that this car is being built to my spec and in the process of being delivered from Vance, AL - at least that's what the SA tells me. The odometer disclosure statement I have in my posession reads that the car will not have more than 25 miles on it at delivery. I can't believe the dealership would spin the odometer and somehow find the exact car I speced out as a demo. I'll post some pictures when I get it.
Cool Dude but ur not the guy buying below cost :-)
As you state u don't have many details. Please tell us the dealer is close? Did u get a trade value? Too many ways to screwed out of the deal if I hear u correctly. Good Luck wish u well.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dougiebear
Cool Dude but ur not the guy buying below cost :-)
As you state u don't have many details. Please tell us the dealer is close? Did u get a trade value? Too many ways to screwed out of the deal if I hear u correctly. Good Luck wish u well.
You may believe what you choose to believe, dougiebear. I thank you for your well wishes. Feel free to have the last word.