M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Any way to get lighting package added to my vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML550
Any way to get lighting package added to my vehicle?

Just picked up a 2012 ML 550, couldn't find one with the lighting package. Just wondering what my options are for better headlights? Is it possible to order the parts for the lighting package from MB or just go with an aftermarket HID kit?

For the time being I've installed Silverstar zXe bulbs, better than stock but not close enough to HID.

Been looking at HID kits but haven't found one that's easy to install and reliable

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
A buddy of mine installed a "MTEC HID kit" off eBay on his R350 a few years ago and it worked/works really well. Before he had a cheap Chinese kit that didn't work that well.
Nothing specific to the W166 yet but here's a good place to start:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...c+hid&_sacat=0

It'll be a lot easier/ cheaper to install an aftermarket kit of some sort. Any reputable car customization shop should be able to do this for you. I see that you're in FL, there must be some good shops in your area. I took my 99 ML to a shop here in Seattle to get xenons put in back in the day and they still work really well. Not sure what brand they use but it's still running. Only had to replace one bulb in all these years.

The MB xenons will probably run $1,000+ per side and who knows how much programming may or may not need to be done by the dealer/ if they are even capable of doing it. Even if they are capable of doing it, you might be the first person to want to do it so you'd be the guinea pig and you get racked up in labor charges. (speaking from first hand experience with some retrofits that I've done) The advantages to the OEM xenons is that you have auto leveling and I think on the W166 it turns when you steer the car.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Adaptive High Beams not just bi-xenon. So unlikely. Don't all 550 come with them down there?
Wow all that money for a motor but ya didn't spend the grand for lights? Trade?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well it wasn't the OP's fault he didn't get the lights. It's MB's supply chain's fault.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Can't blame supplier if someone does not order something. Many in this blog W166 thought they could simply just go and spend $200 after and magically have the same lights. Maybe not our friend jy888 but some definately played cheap n stupid.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM

2012 ML550
Originally Posted by dougiebear
Adaptive High Beams not just bi-xenon. So unlikely. Don't all 550 come with them down there?
Wow all that money for a motor but ya didn't spend the grand for lights? Trade?
You would think for $65k+ it would come standard, not sure why it doesn't.

I didn't have many to choose from, not too many 2012's left and waiting for a 2013 was not an option

Still happy with the purchase though
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Glad Happy for you
Enjoy ur summer with it
My 350BT won't be mine till Sept plus 73G
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

He bought off the lot which limits your choices.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
I here std projectors are good too. My fear has been someone running in to me before new ML gets here LOL with not much on lots
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
HIDs

Originally Posted by JY888
Just picked up a 2012 ML 550, couldn't find one with the lighting package. Just wondering what my options are for better headlights? Is it possible to order the parts for the lighting package from MB or just go with an aftermarket HID kit?

Any ideas?
HID conversion thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...s-w-video.html
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 PM

2012 ML550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I ended up ordering a Kensun HID conversion kit from Amazon. 95% positive rating from 160+ people. Paid $69.99, I should get it tomorrow, I'll post an update and some pics when I install them
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Xenon headlights

You would think for $65k+ it would come standard, not sure why it doesn't.
Several in this price range do not have them standard. Optional is fine if you get to make the choice. Unfortunately, supply of these on the W166 have been far short of demand, so many pre-ordered cars do not have them.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

$88k R63 doesn't have xenons standard. Go figure.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

2012 ML550
No luck with the Kensun HID lights, they would work fine in the headlight on mode, but would flash and send error messages in auto mode.

Can't complain about the service of the company though, after the first set of balast didn't work they sent me out another free of charge within a few days. That didn't work either so they are giving me a full refund. Great company to work with and the lights seemed really good, except for the error message. I would recomend them for anyone that wants a HID kit for a non-mercedes benz

Trying a Phillips Diamond Vision 5000k halogen and a aznoptics error free led for the parking lights, I'll let everyone know how they work
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why not give mtec xenons a try before subjugating yourself to halogens?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 PM

ML350 Bluetech 2012
[QUOTE=JY888;5239525]No luck with the Kensun HID lights, they would work fine in the headlight on mode, but would flash and send error messages in auto mode.

[QUOTE]

You need error cancellors. If you read the after market HID thread. I bought the chancellors on amazon from a LA company recommended by Kensun. They work great. Do not buy the lights from the link on the thread, there is no support.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM

2012 ML550

You need error cancellors. If you read the after market HID thread. I bought the chancellors on amazon from a LA company recommended by Kensun. They work great. Do not buy the lights from the link on the thread, there is no support.
for some reason they didn't recommend them, they sent me a another set of balasts but that didn't work, so they asked me to return for refund.

this site i found has a very interesting article regarding aftermarket HID lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

after reading this I'm not sure I want to get aftermarket HID lights. I don't know how much of this article is true but a respected car audio place here will not warranty, and are hesitant to even install HID aftermarket HID lights. They have heard too many horror stories and want their customers to have products they feel they can stand by and provide warranty for when something fails
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Word to the wise, don't bother with aftermarket HID's. It's just an underwhelming task when all is said and done. Honestly just leave it alone and enjoy the truck. I went through so much BS when I got my ML in Dec of 2011 and tried getting HID's installed, just non stop flickering and a boat load of headaches. I have the OEM lighting package in my new ML that replaced the previous problematic one. And I must say they are really sharp, but overall the truck looks awesome with or without them. I think it's almost impossible to get the lights done OEM style if they are not installed at the build of the vehicle, that's what I was told.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
No luck with the Kensun HID lights, they would work fine in the headlight on mode, but would flash and send error messages in auto mode.

Can't complain about the service of the company though, after the first set of balast didn't work they sent me out another free of charge within a few days. That didn't work either so they are giving me a full refund. Great company to work with and the lights seemed really good, except for the error message. I would recomend them for anyone that wants a HID kit for a non-mercedes benz

Trying a Phillips Diamond Vision 5000k halogen and a aznoptics error free led for the parking lights, I'll let everyone know how they work
Get error cancel module and it should work. That's what I have. No problems. In fact I think out wobbling light effect stopped
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
Word to the wise, don't bother with aftermarket HID's. It's just an underwhelming task when all is said and done. Honestly just leave it alone and enjoy the truck. I went through so much BS when I got my ML in Dec of 2011 and tried getting HID's installed, just non stop flickering and a boat load of headaches. I have the OEM lighting package in my new ML that replaced the previous problematic one. And I must say they are really sharp, but overall the truck looks awesome with or without them. I think it's almost impossible to get the lights done OEM style if they are not installed at the build of the vehicle, that's what I was told.
So did you get a new car or oem kit installed?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
So did you get a new car or oem kit installed?
No Mercedes replaced my truck with a brand new one because of a heap of issues I had from day one of taking delivery of my truck. I had to build the truck from scratch because there was a shortage on both the pano roof and the running boards, none were available in white with the options my truck had, so I paid the difference up front for the lighting package when my car was built.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
No Mercedes replaced my truck with a brand new one because of a heap of issues I had from day one of taking delivery of my truck. I had to build the truck from scratch because there was a shortage on both the pano roof and the running boards, none were available in white with the options my truck had, so I paid the difference up front for the lighting package when my car was built.
Strange? So just because the options weren't available when you originally ordered and you complained they gave you the chance at a new car? My big gripe from the beginning was the lack of HIDs. But that was just an early adopter problem for me. What did you do to get the new build?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Strange? So just because the options weren't available when you originally ordered and you complained they gave you the chance at a new car? My big gripe from the beginning was the lack of HIDs. But that was just an early adopter problem for me. What did you do to get the new build?

No I had an abundance of issues with my truck, and the fact that none were available in White with black leather, with a pano roof, P1, and running boards, my dealership had to build one from scratch for me to match what I had. I asked them since it was being built from scratch, would it be ok to add the lighting package in if I agreed to pay for it in full, they agreed and that was that. But don't misunderstand, this wasn't a case of just a customer complaining about some BS issues. My original ML was in the shop 3 hours after I took delivery because my drivers side window didnt work because of a bad motor, and then again 2 weeks later for the same issue with the window, and then a few weeks later for the same exact issue. No matter how many times they fixed it a few weeks would go by and the window wouldn't work, I also had some issues with my passager side door just locking up and it not being able to open, this was without the child feature on, they had to change the door handle twice. No this has not been an easy road. All in all, the truck was just a lemon, and Benz took care of me in the best way, by getting me into a new truck!

They are great in my eyes, they did what it took to get me happy and into a new vehicle. If I didn't have all those issues I would have happily enjoyed my truck without the lighting package.