M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Radar detector hardwire option...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec
Radar detector hardwire option...

You can tap into the baby blue/baby grey wire that powers the light switch as a power source that is only active when the ignition is turned

You can verfy this by pulling the plug from the light switch and testing it that way. The switch wires can be accessed by pulling the left drivers side panel.

Make sure to use a 22 gauge tap (a 18g tap is seen and wasn't working)

After driving with this setup, the radar detector turns on only when the headlamps are on either manually or on automatically. It will turn off either when the headlamps are off on auto or in the other headlight switch settings. This was quite unexpectant, because the wire stayed on with the ignition and off when the ignition was off, but started to do this when the headlight switch plug was reconnected. After looking around for a switched source, none in the fuse box or none close to headlamp switch, I took it to a neighboring car stereo store where they continued the hardwire to the cigarette lighter. I'm sure one could tap into the homelink power cord above but I didn't want to take that apart. Tried with a trim tool but didn't come off easily so didn't want to risk it.

Last edited by wonsuk_utmb; 08-10-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,180 Likes on 849 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Thanks, but delete the duplicate post.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by wonsuk_utmb
You can tap into the baby blue/baby grey wire that powers the light switch as a power source that is only active when the ignition is turned

You can verfy this by pulling the plug from the light switch and testing it that way. The switch wires can be accessed by pulling the left drivers side panel.

Make sure to use a 22 gauge tap (a 18g tap is seen and wasn't working)

Do not use this wire, it causes the headlight to be on only when the headlamp is on. I am going to find another wire to tap into. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
maybe edit the original post so no one makes this mistake... keep us posted
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 MB ML320 CDI
On our 09 ML I found spare key on (Eng. run) port in the fuse box under bonnet, it is a half connector the other half would clip on if used OE. Pluged a blade fuse into this and a covered female spade connector on to other leg of fuse, ran a double coated wire back through firewall all nicely hidden under other looms.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Kiwi Ed
On our 09 ML I found spare key on (Eng. run) port in the fuse box under bonnet, it is a half connector the other half would clip on if used OE. Pluged a blade fuse into this and a covered female spade connector on to other leg of fuse, ran a double coated wire back through firewall all nicely hidden under other looms.
I did find several switched sources in the engine fuse compartment, but I didn't feel like going through the firewall. The fuses are on the passenger side and I had already run the initial hardwire down the drivers side.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 MB ML320 CDI
Our steering wheel is on the other side!!! Poked the wire through with the bonnet (Hood LOL) catch cable.
Be careful tapping wires to + from from switchs etc. as they can be signal wires to the various moduals, like happened above.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM

2013 ML 350
Just did mine, the easiest i could find os the glove box light. Switched, and only 4-5 screws to get to it. Wire can then go right up A-pillar and under top liner. Easy job, maybe 30 mins or less one I decided to go the glove box -- al fuses on the fusebox (dash) were hots.....
Old 03-09-2021, 07:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by McClendons
Just did mine, the easiest i could find os the glove box light. Switched, and only 4-5 screws to get to it. Wire can then go right up A-pillar and under top liner. Easy job, maybe 30 mins or less one I decided to go the glove box -- al fuses on the fusebox (dash) were hots.....
Are these the screws that need to be removed to access the wires behind the glove box light? I haven't found the 4th or 5th one yet. [EDIT: Will answer my own question, thanks to another member, chassis, who posted instructions. Note, images are from a GLE.]

Last edited by gearFX; 03-10-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford mustang
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->A very good solution for the placement of the lights. It's a shame that running the wires takes so much time. Led Daytime Running Light 2x6w led Lamp DFP 2109 was my choice. But I didn't run the wiring myself. I let a friend of mine do it. He is an electrician, and I consult him about my electrical needs. The Vont smart light bulbs my friend suggested were perfect for my house. I can only judge the wiring under the hood of my car visually. But turning on the daytime running lights in my car is done with a separate button on the dashboard.

Last edited by YoleanDioz; 06-06-2022 at 06:36 AM.