M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

New Member - 1st MB - need advice (ML350 Bluetec)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB BTC
New Member - 1st MB - need advice (ML350 Bluetec)

Hello:

My wife and I put a deposit down on a 2013 ML350 BlueTEC back in May; however, I would like to go out to everyone with some questions about which options are must-haves and which ones are not worth it. By the way, we were originally told the order would go in in July, now delayed till Sept. Still time to modify the build.

What we have decided on:

- Pkg 1
- Parktronic
- MB Tex (not leather) - still up in the air about this one.
- Panorama sunroof
- Lighting package
- Lane tracking
- Keyless go
- Heated steering wheel
- Rear seat pre-wiring

What we are wondering about:

- 19" or 20" wheels?
- Maintenance packages?
- Leather or MB Tex?

The build order can still be modified. Any help/recommendations/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by djmsstraub
Hello:

My wife and I put a deposit down on a 2013 ML350 BlueTEC back in May; however, I would like to go out to everyone with some questions about which options are must-haves and which ones are not worth it. By the way, we were originally told the order would go in in July, now delayed till Sept. Still time to modify the build.

What we have decided on:

- Pkg 1
- Parktronic
- Panorama sunroof
- Lighting package
- Lane tracking
- Keyless go
- Heated steering wheel
- Rear seat pre-wiring

What we are wondering about:

- 19" or 20" wheels?
- Maintenance packages?
- Leather or MB Tex?

The build order can still be modified. Any help/recommendations/advice is appreciated.
Options are personal, of course. One question, have you gotten the "Special Order" option list from your dealer? There are some items on there to consider:

- Sport interior
- Dinamica/MBTex upholstery with Sport seats (nicer than straight MBT, IMO), but only comes in black
- MBTex dash (U09) - stitched

For me other must haves are HK sound, trailer hitch. Unlike the '12, rear seat prewiring is only useful if you are later going to install the MB system. Passenger seat memory is a standalone option. 20" wheels have a far nicer look, but be aware they may delay your order as they are in short supply. I would skip the maintenance package, though you might want to consider the extended warranty in the first year if you'll keep longer than 4 years/50k miles.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM

2013 MB BTC
Thanks!

Greg:
Thank you. Great points. I noticed your 2012 also has pass-through seating -- something we definitely want (our 15 year-old has a cello). Also, we were told we had to get the pre-wiring in order to get the passenger seat memory; we definitely don't want to install the system later.
I also like the idea of sport seats and sport interior - two more things we need to consider.
Thanks again!
Dan
Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Get the trailer hitch if you even think you may tow something. I understand it is almost impossible to get one installed properly aftermarket. Plus you won't get the sway control.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM

2013 MB BTC
Thank you -- Definitely will get tow hitch

Thank you. I'll definitely add the tow hitch.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM

2013 ML350BTC
Greg makes good points. Don't buy a bluetec without the trailer hitch, whether you plan to tow or not. Aftermarket is expensive and when you sell it, bluetec is popular for those who tow. Maybe its just my hot hands and living in hot climes, but wood steering wheel is important to me. Inside of 2 years my hands start to break down all-leather steering wheels.

I also think airmatic's benefits go beyond refined ride -- if you ever do any offroad (more ground clearance), or for lots of highway driving (further lowering suspension for better economy).

Also, consider carefully whether you want active lane/blind assist or passive (or neither). Last I heard the active system only has two settings: off and on. Some have posted they prefer passive over active and with active you don't get passive in the off-position.

I've also seen lots of posts raving the benefits of distronic active cruise control. Especially if you drive in lots of traffic.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d

- Pkg 1
- Parktronic
- Panorama sunroof
- Lighting package
- Lane tracking
- Keyless go
- Heated steering wheel
- Rear seat pre-wiring
1)I wish I had Pkg 2 just for the Xenons.IIRC they can be ordered seperately and,if that's correct,I'd go with them.

2)I have it and find it totally useless for *my* purposes.But at least some who have it like it.

3)Totally satisfied with the vinyl.Particularly worthwhile,IMO,for those with kids or pets.

4)No strong opinion either way.

5)I have Distronic,which features *active* lane assist and *active* blind spot assist.Love them both,as well as the "Pre Safe" braking.Not that thrilled by the "advanced" cruise control,however. (long story)

6)Had it on a previous car.Didn't like it at all..mainly due to car theft issues (MIT's written that feature up and confirmed the negative stories I've seen).Many here love it though.

7)Don't have it and wish I did.A relatively minor feature but still nice.

8)If you want rear seat entertainment (for kids,for example) it's pretty much a must have.Otherwise,why bother?

Last edited by listerone; 08-12-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
My advice is not to skimp at all on options. I would rather have something that I don't use that often than to wish I had bought it for all the years I own the vehicle. Specifically I would buy the HK system, leather and whatever package contains the Xenon lighting. Keyless go is also very nice.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Greg:
Thank you. Great points. I noticed your 2012 also has pass-through seating -- something we definitely want (our 15 year-old has a cello). Also, we were told we had to get the pre-wiring in order to get the passenger seat memory; we definitely don't want to install the system later.
I also like the idea of sport seats and sport interior - two more things we need to consider.
Thanks again!
Dan
Pass Thru is not very big it may not take a cello in a case.
I find leather a touch cooler then MBtex and for only 570 u americans get ventilated seats w pay 1200 in Canada
airmatic on its own is nice the 20" wheels not worth waiting for put the $$$ to winter tire/wheel package(non MB) or aftermarket 20's for summer and winter tires on ur 19's if u get snow :o)
HK yep
In Canada almost all have panaramic so I demanded it. In USA its not as in demand for resale but that may be changing but could delay build.
Almost forgot the adaptive highbeam headlights(bixenons) they are worth the wait. Ur getting bluetec (so it will be OCT earliest build in USA) anyway so I assume you will be doing a lot of highway driving with the BT so Bixenons a must most would say
Have FUN figuring it all out with the potential delays

Last edited by dougiebear; 08-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Greg:
Thanks again!
2nd row pass through is #282. Passenger seat memory is #242, but not listed as available on the 350 in the early order guide, so maybe it is still part of the RSE option.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Y90 black headliner (assuming you don't select beige or grey ARTICO). It totally changes the interior.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Y90 black headliner (assuming you don't select beige or grey ARTICO). It totally changes the interior.
DITTO its fabulous and cheap
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Maybe cheap for some, but its only available with designo leather etc here.

But at least I can get Airmatic and OnOff road.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
My 2 cents, based on my '12 BT:
I've always preferred MB-Tex vs. leather, and I've had both - I think it's a personal thing.
Sport interior is nice - went with the MB-Tex/Dinamica, and really like the "grippy" Dinamica inserts as well as the look. I will say the Dinamica seems to me to be a bit warmer though. The steering wheel is nicer (IMO) too.
The MB-Tex wrapped dash is wicked good - changes the entire look of the interior.
Trailer hitch for sure - if for nothing other than a bike rack!
Do not even think of not getting the Lighting Package - it is by far the best system MB has had for lighting (haven't driven the CLS with LED lighting, though).
I am one of those that likes the Distronic cruise - worth every penny.
We travel with kids, and opted for the 3-zone AC - a small investment to keep the whining to a minimum!
Passenger memory is good if you drive long distances and swap drivers - although once you get behind the wheel of the new ML, you may not want to swap!
HK sound is great and I can't imagine not having it.

Whatever your choices, I am sure you will enjoy your new ML BT.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by twodivers
My 2 cents, based on my '12 BT:
I've always preferred MB-Tex vs. leather, and I've had both - I think it's a personal thing.
Sport interior is nice - went with the MB-Tex/Dinamica, and really like the "grippy" Dinamica inserts as well as the look. I will say the Dinamica seems to me to be a bit warmer though. The steering wheel is nicer (IMO) too.
The MB-Tex wrapped dash is wicked good - changes the entire look of the interior.
Trailer hitch for sure - if for nothing other than a bike rack!
Do not even think of not getting the Lighting Package - it is by far the best system MB has had for lighting (haven't driven the CLS with LED lighting, though).
I am one of those that likes the Distronic cruise - worth every penny.
We travel with kids, and opted for the 3-zone AC - a small investment to keep the whining to a minimum!
Passenger memory is good if you drive long distances and swap drivers - although once you get behind the wheel of the new ML, you may not want to swap!
HK sound is great and I can't imagine not having it.

Whatever your choices, I am sure you will enjoy your new ML BT.

do you have a picture of what your seats look like in the ML?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dinamica/MBTex sport seats

Originally Posted by hutch300
do you have a picture of what your seats look like in the ML?
Here you go (Daimler images):

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
As Greg already said

the prewiring packaging is absolutely useless unless you intend on having your dealer install the mercedes brand monitors behind the front seat headrests in the future. it will not give you the ability to add or use a third party system. it is something you may want to remove from your order.

if you want the passenger seat memory you need to add the following to your order it is the only way you will get the memory seat

Code 242 Passenger Seat w/Memory & Lumbar Support (Special Order) $ 365

It is a special order item that doesn't show on the website build configurator. there is a one time special order charge of $250 no matter how many special order items you add.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by iankayem
Maybe cheap for some, but its only available with designo leather etc here.

But at least I can get Airmatic and OnOff road.
There are 2 types of black roof "dinamica" requires Designio

The cloth black does not and may be available as special order
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dougiebear
There are 2 types of black roof "dinamica" requires Designio

The cloth black does not and may be available as special order
Yes, the black cloth is SPC code Y90, no cost after the $250 SPC charge. I like it, but I do have the Pano roof which helps brighten the interior a bit.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM

Mercedes Benz ML550 2013
mbtex/dinamica

does anyone knows or have a picture of mb tex/dinamica interior? because i went to my local dealer and they said, if you want leather you have to wait until february.... i dont wait a lot of time for one car... but if i order with mbtex and dinamica the car is here before new year.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Originally Posted by kcl489
does anyone knows or have a picture of mb tex/dinamica interior?
see post # 16 in this thread
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Mercedes Benz ML550 2013
i saw the pictures.. but my confusion is if look like the same interior of a c250, with chamois
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kcl489
i saw the pictures.. but my confusion is if look like the same interior of a c250, with chamois
Not following your question -- the pictures are of an ML interior. The Sport seats are comfortable in shape and fabric (warm in Winter and cool in Summer, based on experience with my W164) and wear well.