M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

How to get Production/Delivery time updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
How to get Production/Delivery time updates

I am very impatiently expecting my ML350Bluetech . I booked it in May , I Was told that production will be fist week of August and delivery by 2nd October.
I was hoping that they can get it to me by 21st September which is my 50th Birthday!
My questions are .....
How can one moniter to progress?
How to get an update on any change in expected time ?
Is there a way to follow it up more closeley to see what the situation is and track its progess?
How much can the dealer help with ?
How much do they know?
I do not want to pester them too much but I really ccould do with a daily report!! ( I know that is expecting too much but when you order things like a computer from DELL you can track it all the way).
Any body there who can help with the answers or give me a guess as to when I should expect it to be delivered to UK .
Will they stick to 2nd October or a possible change in delivery time.
Many Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by emran
I am very impatiently expecting my ML350Bluetech . I booked it in May , I Was told that production will be fist week of August and delivery by 2nd October.
I was hoping that they can get it to me by 21st September which is my 50th Birthday!
My questions are .....
How can one monitor to progress?
How to get an update on any change in expected time ?
Is there a way to follow it up more closely to see what the situation is and track its progress?
How much can the dealer help with ?
How much do they know?
I do not want to pester them too much but I really could do with a daily report!! ( I know that is expecting too much but when you order things like a computer from DELL you can track it all the way).
Any body there who can help with the answers or give me a guess as to when I should expect it to be delivered to UK .
Will they stick to 2nd October or a possible change in delivery time.
Many Thanks

The only way you're going to get that level of tracking is to cancel your ML order and buy BMW X5. BMW gives you web access to a site that allows you to track the manufacturing and shipping of your X5 from start to finish. The image of the X5 actually matches your specs. Also, they don't have irregular parts shortages like MB USA and your car arrives faster than you expect....not nine months later as some on this site have experienced. When I ordered my 2012 X5 in April of last year, it arrived in four weeks to California (all the way across the country from where it was made). I had on it everything I wanted....virtually loaded with every option...but I didn' t have to worry if an option I wanted might delay it weeks on end, like with MB. BMW puts Mercedes very much to shame in this regard, and shows what is possible when a company is run by people who understand logistics and customer support.

I spoke at length with the inventory manager of a MB dealership the other day about my ML550 order. With MB, ordering a car seems like controlled chaos. Nobody has answers about timing or availability, and if they do, next week you find out it changed or they were wrong to begin with. So, even if the dealer gave you info, it can't be relied upon. But truly, it is not their fault...it's the disorganized mess they call "Vance," the manufacturing facility in Vance, Alabama. Not the fault the workers there either, to be sure, since they kick out amazingly perfect cars at an amazing rate...it's the people who manage the process that should be fired and replaced with managers of BMW's level of competence.

Unfortunately, the X5 has become dated. It doesn't have all the new safety technology like the ML, like blind side warning or collision avoidance. And the rides totally sucks, especially compared to the ML, and particularly on 20 inch tires (needed to make it look less like a Soccer Mom's car). The upcoming 2014 model, which will likely be available by next spring, will have all that, plus settings to adjust the ride comfort like ML does with AIRMATIC. It will be the perfect performance SUV.

I loved my BMW X5 before my GF totaled it ....which might not have happened if it had blind spot warning. She was driving since the rough ride would make her car sick. She ended up in the ICU for month and me with a broken fibula.

I wish I could wait until next spring for the 2014 X5, but I can't. The 2013 ML is amazing is every way, especially with the safely features which I'm not sure even the new X5 will be able to match (i.e., collision avoidance).

Maybe this is why MB USA is so bad when it comes to logistics and customer service. They know they have a captive audience, so why try harder?

Last edited by gplank; 08-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
I don't know how BMW works but one of MB's challenges is their "just in time" inventory system. This system is being used by more and more companies to help control costs but if there is any hiccup in the system then delays happen and the entire system gets backed up. When the new ML's started adding many options used in the S and E class i.e. pano roof et al, the supply line got stretched. This is certainly no excuse as the folks in charge should have seen this and adjusted accordingly. But like it was said the ML is such a great vehicle that we suck it up and wait patiently.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
From what I have read here and been told by the dealers, bluetecs will start being built in October with US delivery dates of December or January. Not sure if these models destined for other countries have different production sheds.

Last edited by 27T; 08-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Unhappy

I have a September delivery for a Bluetec in Canada. I am now worried that this date will slip again. I had first ordered a 2012 model back in Spetember 2011 with a June 2012 delivery date. Converted my order to 2013 model in February to take advantage of the latest changes. I don't think I will put up with another long delay. I don't care how good the ML is, if they can't build them with my specs and deliver within a reasonable delay, I am out.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM

ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
Has any one got any updates on possible delay in ML350 delivery time ?
gplank rises some excellent criticism . I wonder if Mercedes Benz customer services read this forum ?
I am still waiting to hear if I will get my car by my birthday .