M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

How would one increase the residual value of the vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350BT ( on order)
How would one increase the residual value of the vehicle?

I am planning to order a MY13 GL350BT, going to lease it, with a trade in, but how would one increase the residual value of the car. Do i add leather, rear dvd... etc?

And what happens at the end of the lease, example I want to lease a new car, would they subtract the value of previous car to the new car? Kinda confused.

Thank You.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by Dragerking
I am planning to order a MY13 GL350BT, going to lease it, with a trade in, but how would one increase the residual value of the car. Do i add leather, rear dvd... etc?

And what happens at the end of the lease, example I want to lease a new car, would they subtract the value of previous car to the new car? Kinda confused.

Thank You.
If leasing in CA works like it does in the US there is a set figure of residuals set by MB Financial. The only thing you can do it decrease it by adding more miles to the contract or increase it slightly by taking a lower mileage allowance but there are not any options that will increase the percentage that MB will put as the residual value. Once the cars come out check with the dealer you want to order with as they will be the ones who can best explain it, but as always if you feel you are feeling like they are feeding you a load of bull...check with someone else.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
And what happens at the end of the lease, example I want to lease a new car, would they subtract the value of previous car to the new car?
No, at the end of the lease, your obligation to the car is over (assuming no damages); at the same time, you don't own any part of that car.

If you want to lease a new car, it would be separate from your current lease.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
To get a higher RV, reduce the term and/or reduce the annual mileage. Options do not change the RV, although some options are not fully residualized (ie: designo).
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
To get a higher RV, reduce the term and/or reduce the annual mileage. Options do not change the RV, although some options are not fully residualized (ie: designo).
Actually, some options do increase the residual. Before taking this 2012, we were looking at ordering a '13. We were on the fence about the pano roof till we found out that, to use his words, "MB gives a bump up of 1 point". So it would've only added $16/mo to our lease payment. I never got to question it further as we ended up getting this one w/ the P2 pkg & the dealer adding the factory running boards for $51k. Also, when in the finance office, the prepaid maintenance does get residualized. We passed on that but took the tire and wheel insurance which does not.

As for at lease end, as was touched on by someone else, you have no ownership in the vehicle. In a perfect world, taking the lease to full term and being at or under the allotted miles & w/o damage, you then turn it in and walk away. However, you have options, even when over the miles. I think Mercedes offers to pull you out a few months early. Even during the term, there's a payoff amount so if at some point your payoff is less than the book value, you can even trade it with some positive equity. At the end of the term if the book value is more than your residual value, you may choose to buy it at the residual value (which is already determined at the beginning of the lease) and you can sell it on your own. On the other hand, if the book value is lower than the residual, that's a gamble that the leasing company takes. Always remember to negotiate a lease just like a finance purchase as some dealers try to play games with the numbers to get you at a monthly cost you want while they still charge full sticker.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350BT ( on order)
Originally Posted by skw
Actually, some options do increase the residual. Before taking this 2012, we were looking at ordering a '13. We were on the fence about the pano roof till we found out that, to use his words, "MB gives a bump up of 1 point". So it would've only added $16/mo to our lease payment. I never got to question it further as we ended up getting this one w/ the P2 pkg & the dealer adding the factory running boards for $51k. Also, when in the finance office, the prepaid maintenance does get residualized. We passed on that but took the tire and wheel insurance which does not.

As for at lease end, as was touched on by someone else, you have no ownership in the vehicle. In a perfect world, taking the lease to full term and being at or under the allotted miles & w/o damage, you then turn it in and walk away. However, you have options, even when over the miles. I think Mercedes offers to pull you out a few months early. Even during the term, there's a payoff amount so if at some point your payoff is less than the book value, you can even trade it with some positive equity. At the end of the term if the book value is more than your residual value, you may choose to buy it at the residual value (which is already determined at the beginning of the lease) and you can sell it on your own. On the other hand, if the book value is lower than the residual, that's a gamble that the leasing company takes. Always remember to negotiate a lease just like a finance purchase as some dealers try to play games with the numbers to get you at a monthly cost you want while they still charge full sticker.
Thanks for the great response, finally answered my question. For the adblue, can you buy it yourself and diy, or let the dealer do it?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM
skw

2019 GLS450
Thanks for the great response, finally answered my question. For the adblue, can you buy it yourself and diy, or let the dealer do it?
You can let the dealer do whatever you like, they'd be more than happy. However, I haven't done it myself yet, but from everything I've read, it's an easy diy. There's a few threads I've come across on here suggesting to buy the def elsewhere, grab one bottle from the dealer to use the top as a filler neck. I'm not 100% sure myself yet. Still working on removing the seat backs to put in my own tv's...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by skw
Actually, some options do increase the residual. Before taking this 2012, we were looking at ordering a '13. We were on the fence about the pano roof till we found out that, to use his words, "MB gives a bump up of 1 point". So it would've only added $16/mo to our lease payment. I never got to question it further...
I think you misunderstood, or you were misled.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
I think you misunderstood, or you were misled.
I should have clarification on this later today. I'd hate to have posted wrong information.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Spoke w/ him again & I'm still not sure what he meant about a point bump or whatever. However, I specifically asked if an option or color combo can raise the residual percentage. The answer is no. If the RV of a specific model is say 58%, then any option you add, you're only paying 42% of it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skw
I specifically asked if an option or color combo can raise the residual percentage. The answer is no. If the RV of a specific model is say 58%, then any option you add, you're only paying 42% of it.
Correct. Your original statement ("point bump" for pano roof) was wrong.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
skw

2019 GLS450
Correct. Your original statement ("point bump" for pano roof) was wrong.
It appears they'd tell you anything during the negotiation process. So yes, I stand corrected.