M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

BlueTec, First DEF Refill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
BlueTec, First DEF Refill

I'm usually not so inept at these kinds of things.

I decided that no way would I pay a dealer $275, or whatever they charge, for a DEF refill; I would do it myself.

There is no dashboard gauge for DEF like there is for fuel, so you have to make a guess about the level. You can wait for the DEF level to get very low and the car will then warn you that you have 16 starts left until it will NOT start. I had read that 7 gallons of DEF is good for 11,000 miles or so.

My new 2012 ML has 6234 miles on it so I figure that the DEF tank must be about half empty, some would figure that it is about half full. Time to add DEF, it will probably take 3.5 gallons or more.

$15.00 for a 2.5 gal plastic container full of DEF, with a flexible plastic pouring spout/hose from Autozone. Simple task, attach the hose, insert one end into the vehicle's DEF tank and pour. The hose cap is a cheaply made device without a gasket but it does have a little rubber vent hose for air to enter as you pour out the fluid. When you start pouring it into the tank, it leaks from where this pouring spout/hose meets the container... makes a big puddle on the ground and gets all over your hands. Then you observe that the plastic container is compressing as the fluid runs out... that little vent hose isn't working so the flow of fluid slows to a dribble. You withdraw the hose from the vehicle to allow more air into the container. You do this several times and finally it looks like the container is nearly empty when DEF starts gushing out of the vehicle filler tube. The tank is full. I would guess that I put in 2.1 gallons before it over flowed (running down the side of my car, and all over the tire, wheel, brake calipers, etc.). 2.1 gal./6234 miles; my estimate of the usage was way off.

The next time, I will wait until the vehicle tells me it is getting low. I will also ensure that the cap is fully seated and not leaking.

Some people here have mentioned getting a proper 1 Qt. jug from MB to make the filling process cleaner. You then have to refill the 1 Qt. jug (from the 2.5 gal container) 10 times and that sounds kind of awkward.

In any case, it ain't a big deal. Beats spending $275. And... more than you wanted to know.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by awjenni
I'm usually not so inept at these kinds of things.

I decided that no way would I pay a dealer $275, or whatever they charge, for a DEF refill; I would do it myself.

There is no dashboard gauge for DEF like there is for fuel, so you have to make a guess about the level. You can wait for the DEF level to get very low and the car will then warn you that you have 16 starts left until it will NOT start. I had read that 7 gallons of DEF is good for 11,000 miles or so.

My new 2012 ML has 6234 miles on it so I figure that the DEF tank must be about half empty, some would figure that it is about half full. Time to add DEF, it will probably take 3.5 gallons or more.

$15.00 for a 2.5 gal plastic container full of DEF, with a flexible plastic pouring spout/hose from Autozone. Simple task, attach the hose, insert one end into the vehicle's DEF tank and pour. The hose cap is a cheaply made device without a gasket but it does have a little rubber vent hose for air to enter as you pour out the fluid. When you start pouring it into the tank, it leaks from where this pouring spout/hose meets the container... makes a big puddle on the ground and gets all over your hands. Then you observe that the plastic container is compressing as the fluid runs out... that little vent hose isn't working so the flow of fluid slows to a dribble. You withdraw the hose from the vehicle to allow more air into the container. You do this several times and finally it looks like the container is nearly empty when DEF starts gushing out of the vehicle filler tube. The tank is full. I would guess that I put in 2.1 gallons before it over flowed (running down the side of my car, and all over the tire, wheel, brake calipers, etc.). 2.1 gal./6234 miles; my estimate of the usage was way off.

The next time, I will wait until the vehicle tells me it is getting low. I will also ensure that the cap is fully seated and not leaking.

Some people here have mentioned getting a proper 1 Qt. jug from MB to make the filling process cleaner. You then have to refill the 1 Qt. jug (from the 2.5 gal container) 10 times and that sounds kind of awkward.

In any case, it ain't a big deal. Beats spending $275. And... more than you wanted to know.
You put a great narrative up! Thank you. I'm at 7500 miles no light thus far. Will take your advice and wait until the light comes on. I will however buy 2.5 gallons DEF and keep in garage.

What was the cost?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
I believe someone mention to cut the bottom of the 1 qt bottle.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM

F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
If you live or drive by a truck stop ie. Flying J or Pilot Travel Centre they have bulk at the pump DEF. You fill up from a nozzle just like gas or deisel nozzle but it is a DEF nozzle that stops when full.Best part is that it is sold to you at the amount you put in for about $ 2.80 a gallon.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I saw my ML at the dealer getting its 10k service. (I have the prepaid maintenance) I saw that they had it spill over and it looked like a mess to have to clean up. But when I got the car back it was spotless.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,174 Likes on 845 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Thanks, but you might want to delete your duplicate post.