M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Trade in Value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iu
Trade in Value

Does anyone know how MB determines trade in value? I want a 2013 with lighting package and was looking to trade my 2012 in to reduce hassle of selling by owner and my local dealership priced it at $43,500. I understand depreciation on a new car but kelley blue book has it in good condition around 45-47k. I'm not asking for retail just a decent value for a blutech with 14k miles and in great condition.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Hope this helps

I'm up in Toronto Canada. I traded in my 2012 bluetec with prm. Pkg, pano sport pkg airmatic, running boards, & hitch at the end of aug. it had about 10,000km or 6000 miles on it. I bought it for $65k and traded for $58.5k.

I did it for much the same reasons as you.

Oren
Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM

iu
Originally Posted by orenlasko
I'm up in Toronto Canada. I traded in my 2012 bluetec with prm. Pkg, pano sport pkg airmatic, running boards, & hitch at the end of aug. it had about 10,000km or 6000 miles on it. I bought it for $65k and traded for $58.5k.

I did it for much the same reasons as you.

Oren
Thats reasonable to me. I paid $60k in January and their offer of $43,500 just seems to low based on what blue book ratings are for the car. Top it off the SA basically told me to deal with it when I asked why it was so low since he didn't have any say in the matter. Told me to go to carmax or sell it myself. Awesome customer service at its finest.

Last edited by Fongletez; 09-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Trade value.

You should be somewhere in the $50-53k range. The used ones here are selling in th low $60k range so a $5k markup from the dealer seems reasonable. Look at what comparable used ones are selling for. Good luck
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by Fongletez
Thats reasonable to me. I paid $60k in January and their offer of $43,500 just seems to low based on what blue book ratings are for the car. Top it off the SA basically told me to deal with it when I asked why it was so low since he didn't have any say in the matter. Told me to go to carmax or sell it myself. Awesome customer service at its finest.
There are many factors in how much they will offer you.

KBB tends to be way off. Dealers go by black book values that show what the car sells for at auction. Cars are a commodity and are treated as such by dealers. Us consumers have too many feelings in the transaction.

If you are buying the ML from the same dealer that you are selling it to, they may give you more for the trade than black book if they are making a healthy profit on the sale of the 2013.

Somewhere, somehow the dealer will make money.

There at cases where they will give you more than black book if your car is an easy sale because of the way it's built or it's scarce, which the ML relatively is. Or if the dealer wants to build a strong relationship with a customer with a larger lifetime value (long term profits).

There has to be something in it for the dealer. There may be a chance that he may be trying to screw you, too, and hoping that you're a sucker that will give the car away. Try a few other dealers to better gauge it's trade in value.

There are also dealerships that will not take a trade because they don't like to sell used cars and will only do so if they make a killing.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 AM

iu
Originally Posted by 27trout
There are many factors in how much they will offer you.

KBB tends to be way off. Dealers go by black book values that show what the car sells for at auction. Cars are a commodity and are treated as such by dealers. Us consumers have too many feelings in the transaction.

If you are buying the ML from the same dealer that you are selling it to, they may give you more for the trade than black book if they are making a healthy profit on the sale of the 2013.

Somewhere, somehow the dealer will make money.

There at cases where they will give you more than black book if your car is an easy sale because of the way it's built or it's scarce, which the ML relatively is. Or if the dealer wants to build a strong relationship with a customer with a larger lifetime value (long term profits).

There has to be something in it for the dealer. There may be a chance that he may be trying to screw you, too, and hoping that you're a sucker that will give the car away. Try a few other dealers to better gauge it's trade in value.

There are also dealerships that will not take a trade because they don't like to sell used cars and will only do so if they make a killing.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. where do i get a copy of a black book pricing? web search didnt turn up much. Anway, I am aware that they need to make money not being the US Postal service which is why I asked if they could be reasonable and come up to $45k which was when i got my answer of go to Carmax. To me thats just poor service end of story.

There is no way am i going to ever buy another car from them and seeing as I am 32 y/o I plan to buy a few more so their loss. Top it off I have my brother talked into a Merc after letting him drive mine and he will not be using that dealer either.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM

2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by Fongletez
Thanks for the info. where do i get a copy of a black book pricing? web search didnt turn up much. Anway, I am aware that they need to make money not being the US Postal service which is why I asked if they could be reasonable and come up to $45k which was when i got my answer of go to Carmax. To me thats just poor service end of story.

There is no way am i going to ever buy another car from them and seeing as I am 32 y/o I plan to buy a few more so their loss. Top it off I have my brother talked into a Merc after letting him drive mine and he will not be using that dealer either.
Why not sell it to your brother at a fair discount?
That way he can save some $$ and you can negotiate a better deal with another dealer?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM

iu
Originally Posted by DC-IT
Why not sell it to your brother at a fair discount?
That way he can save some $$ and you can negotiate a better deal with another dealer?
He's not the SUV type and agrees that the lighting pkg is needed so no go with that option..