M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Negotiation tactics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK
Negotiation tactics

I went to buy a 2013 ML 350 off the lot yesterday, and I told the sales guy I wanted it for invoice. He said, no problem, and that the sales manager would probably approve it. Everything seemed smooth sailing, then he came back with the sales manager and she said they would only do 3% off the MSRP (invoice was 6% off). Their reasoning was that ML's are in short supply, and that production of ML's is down. Here are my questions:

1. Is it realistic to get a 2013 ML 350 for invoice (I also have a GLK trade in that they are going to make some money off of)? The fact that the sales guy said "no problem" and that the SM should approve it makes me think that he frequently sees cars sold for invoice.

2. Are 2013 ML's really in short supply? She said that 2000 fewer units are being produced this year. This seems insignificant if it is a worldwide number. Is it the case that other cars may be selling for invoice, but ML's are not?

3. The sales manager said that the holdback is 2% of MSRP. My understanding is that the holdback is 3%.

4. If I try to go the Costco route, can I go directly to the dealership, or do I have to call Costco first?

Thanks!

Last edited by YYZ to NRT; 09-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM

2013 ML350
The dealer told me that the Costco discount only applies to off the lot purchases. Same with the BJ's discount. BJ's referred me to another dealer who was willing to give the discount - $1500 over invoice which amounted to a $2600 reduction in my case. Armed with a quote, I returned to the first dealer and quickly negotiated a deal after saying "Are you going to make me drive all the way back to dealer #2 to write a check today?"

Has anyone else used the Costco discount and if so, what was it worth?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by YYZ to NRT
I went to buy a 2013 ML 350 off the lot yesterday, and I told the sales guy I wanted it for invoice. He said, no problem, and that the sales manager would probably approve it. Everything seemed smooth sailing, then he came back with the sales manager and she said they would only do 3% off the MSRP (invoice was 6% off). Their reasoning was that ML's are in short supply, and that production of ML's is down. Here are my questions:

!
Pricing is heavily dependent on where you live. In LA, getting invoice and under is easy. Other places no discount is the norm.

It is likely going to get more difficult getting large discounts because the ML inventories are getting smaller.

My suggestion is to buy one from an LA dealer and have it shipped or travel here and enjoy your drive back. Let me know if you need me to connect you with the reputable dealer that I'm working with.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Also do a search for "invoice" in this forum to find several discussions regarding purchasing.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Where are you located?

I'm assuming you're in Toronto - if so, 3% off MSRP is realistic. Supply is very limited and the situation is not getting any better in the coming months.

Also, your assumption that they're "going to make some money off of" your GLK might be a bit unfounded. The GLK supply situation is nothing like the ML.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 PM

2010 GLK
I'm assuming you're in Toronto
Ha, I knew my screen name would throw people off. I'm in New Hampshire, not Toronto. In NH there are two MB dealerships, which I believe are owned by the same group. Though, there's easy access to the Boston-area MB dealerships, so I don't feel like they have a true lock on the market. Though, I guess I should probably take a look around at some other dealerships.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by 27trout
Pricing is heavily dependent on where you live. In LA, getting invoice and under is easy. Other places no discount is the norm.

It is likely going to get more difficult getting large discounts because the ML inventories are getting smaller.

My suggestion is to buy one from an LA dealer and have it shipped or travel here and enjoy your drive back. Let me know if you need me to connect you with the reputable dealer that I'm working with.
I need to buy the extended warranty soon (and probably pre-paid service as well). Do you know which dealer would provide the best deal in LA? I will buy 6yr/75k one.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM

2013 ML550
I tried CarWoo for a 550 with no luck twice. Anyone else got a similar experience with them?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
short on supply
hotcakes are selling like ML's
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by GTscrub
I tried CarWoo for a 550 with no luck twice. Anyone else got a similar experience with them?
In late April, after they announced the specs on the MY13 ML550, I received a couple good offers, like 7% under invoice. But a later, not much response. So, it does seem the supply is so short, dealers are not willing to compete on CarWoo for ML550 sales....they can sell what they get without the help of CarWoo.

Where are you located? Does LA mean Los Angeles or Louisiana?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by gplank
In late April, after they announced the specs on the MY13 ML550, I received a couple good offers, like 7% under invoice. But a later, not much response. So, it does seem the supply is so short, dealers are not willing to compete on CarWoo for ML550 sales....they can sell what they get without the help of CarWoo.

Where are you located? Does LA mean Los Angeles or Louisiana?
Thanks gplank,

I'm in Louisiana. I wish I was in Los Angeles so I can get a better deal. I tried CarWoo twice and got no response at all even though after talking to someone at CarWoo. I was thinking about waiting for MY14, but I really want the car so bad now. There is one 550 on the lot in LA, but it does not have most of the options I wanted (HK, ambient light, etc), so ordering is the best way to go. I'm crossing my fingers to get it by Thanksgiving now.