Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
I compared it to another e55 there

Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 AM

2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
Originally Posted by mckinneathe

Whenever I click I am redirected to BluHost or a different commercial website. All those sites are asking for registration. Please post the pics directly on this forum for easy access.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,173 Likes on 844 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by mckinneathe
Post fail!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
Cornering lights

I just picked my 2013 ML350 BT in Vancouver and there are no bulbs in the cornering light assembly. I ordered the bi-xenon package. Its in the manual and brochure. False advertising! Could be grounds for class action law suit.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM

2013 GL350BT ( on order)
From the 2013 GL Manual, just wanted to share.

The cornering light function improves the
illumination of the road over a wide angle in
the direction you are turning, enabling better
visibility in tight bends, for example. It can
only be activated when the low-beam
headlamps are switched on.
Active:
Rif you are driving at speeds below
25mph (40 km/h) and switch on the turn
signal or turn the steering wheel
Rif you are driving at speeds between
25mph (40 km/h) and45mph (70 km/h)
and turn the steering wheel
Not active: if your speed exceeds
25mph (40 km/h) or if you switch off the turn
signal or turn the steering wheel to the
straight-ahead position.
The cornering light function may remain lit for
a short time, but is automatically switched off
after no more than three minutes.

But have not seen it happen in person.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
Dragerking, I know that's what it says in the manual but I tried every which way but no cornering lights. Then I checked the headlamps with a flashlight and there are no bulbs in there! I am taking mine in to dealer (they had no idea on the phone).
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dragerking
From the 2013 GL Manual, just wanted to share.

The cornering light function improves the
illumination of the road over a wide angle in
the direction you are turning, enabling better
visibility in tight bends, for example. It can
only be activated when the low-beam
headlamps are switched on.
Active:
Rif you are driving at speeds below
25mph (40 km/h) and switch on the turn
signal or turn the steering wheel
Rif you are driving at speeds between
25mph (40 km/h) and45mph (70 km/h)
and turn the steering wheel
Not active: if your speed exceeds
25mph (40 km/h) or if you switch off the turn
signal or turn the steering wheel to the
straight-ahead position.
The cornering light function may remain lit for
a short time, but is automatically switched off
after no more than three minutes.

But have not seen it happen in person.
That's what I posted in #45 above from the ML manual. Seems to not be active in North America.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by lakelander
I just picked my 2013 ML350 BT in Vancouver and there are no bulbs in the cornering light assembly. I ordered the bi-xenon package. Its in the manual and brochure. False advertising! Could be grounds for class action law suit.
To be fair, being in the manual does not mean a thing. The 360 degree camera, ECO stop/start etc are there too, but they are not available this year. And other features mentioned such as Tire sensor/tire pressure readout and temperature controlled cup holder etc may never appear in Canada. The most important is the build list for your car - if it is listed there and not found in your car, then you have a legitimate case; if it is not there, then you won't find it in your car.

I just downloaded the eBrochure to check, and it is not mentioned there either. Web site info is not accurate and is prone to error due to web design being adapted from a global template.

Having the cornering light is nice, as with any extra feature. But I won't lose any sleep for not having it. I have it in my BMW, and it rarely strikes me as making any huge difference. Mercedes' headlight already has very broad coverage.

While I would probably make a big fuss if they leave out something like the bi-xenon, lighting package, active driving assist etc, I don't think I would spend too much time over the cornering light. But I suppose it could be more useful for some user than me. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cornering lights

Originally Posted by nosnoop
To be fair, being in the manual does not mean a thing. The 360 degree camera, ECO stop/start etc are there too, but they are not available this year. And other features mentioned such as Tire sensor/tire pressure readout and temperature controlled cup holder etc may never appear in Canada. The most important is the build list for your car - if it is listed there and not found in your car, then you have a legitimate case; if it is not there, then you won't find it in your car.

I just downloaded the eBrochure to check, and it is not mentioned there either. Web site info is not accurate and is prone to error due to web design being adapted from a global template.

Having the cornering light is nice, as with any extra feature. But I won't lose any sleep for not having it. I have it in my BMW, and it rarely strikes me as making any huge difference. Mercedes' headlight already has very broad coverage.

While I would probably make a big fuss if they leave out something like the bi-xenon, lighting package, active driving assist etc, I don't think I would spend too much time over the cornering light. But I suppose it could be more useful for some user than me. Just my $0.02 worth.
All very true. The forums can bring out obsessive behaviour in otherwise "normal" people. I'm dissapointed the Lighting Package doesn't have all the features promised of it, but not willing to talk lawsuits. I'd like to know why this was left out, as the W164 had working cornering lights and I don't think the lighting standards have changed much.

I just sent this email to MBUSA Owner's Support:

"The Dealer Ordering Guide for my 2012 ML350 lists cornering lights as part of the Lighting Package features. Also, the 2013 Owner's Manual details their function on page 125. However, from involvement in two ML forums it appears no one in North America has working cornering lights. You can see them, but bulbs are not there and they do not function as advertised.

What gives? This is disappointing. My W164 ML had fucntioning corneriing lights so this seems like a step backwards."

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-26-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 / 2012 ML 550
Cornering lights...

My 2010 E550 has cornering lights, and also my previous ML550, and i found them very handy from a safety/visibility standpoint, if turning into a driveway in a poorly lit area at night....
Minimizes the risk of wheels hitting the entrance curb etc...
I do agree with Greg, and as there is probably a zero chance of having the cornering lights work at this point, my main focus is to find the rationale behind the decision to have them inoperable.
Someone made that decision......why ??
Regarding 'nosnoops' previous post's comment on 'individual tire pressure readouts', in fact my 2012 ML550 has the readout showing the actual tire pressure in each wheel, as in the photo above...
This tire readout display is only available with the 21" AMG wheel/summer tires option, which i ordered, and have on my ML
Its actually very handy, not having to check each tire with a pressure guage, just to check for any tire pressure variance....
Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
The cornering lights on the new ML use LEDs not bulbs that's why you can't see any bulbs.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Don't see LEDs either
TECH at MB says they are sufficeticated not simple.
I think the light is supposed to turn into the reflector but its not working. Will see about software mods
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
For what it's worth - my S550 had cornering lights which would come on at lower speeds if you either turned the steering wheel, or turned on the indicator. Then after a couple of seconds they would dim to off, much like the interior lights (a really nice feature).

My ML550 is almost here, am hoping to take delivery next week. I'll post back then if the cornering lights work the same as a W221...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dougiebear
Don't see LEDs either
TECH at MB says they are sufficeticated not simple.
I think the light is supposed to turn into the reflector but its not working. Will see about software mods
There is definitely no cornering light in my 2013 Bluetec.
The tech is probably thinking about the adaptive head light which is a totally different thing.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
My light pattern is wide enough to light up the parking strip (the area between the curb and the sidewalk). Because the lights turn to a certain degree with the wheel the result is lighting similar to what the corning lights on my '06 did. Perhaps this phenomena is what M-B calls the cornering lights.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 AM

ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
Guys ! It works well in my car.There are no bulbs , in fact the ones with no intelligent lights have 2 bultb this has only one but has a reflector which does the job!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by GMW
The cornering lights on the new ML use LEDs not bulbs that's why you can't see any bulbs.
I think those are blinkers/turn signals. MB says new tech in these
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by emran
Guys ! It works well in my car.There are no bulbs , in fact the ones with no intelligent lights have 2 bultb this has only one but has a reflector which does the job!
Emran are you sure they are cornering lights and not the actively curving lights when you turn the streering wheel? Corners use the turn signal/blinker and only work at low speed or stopped. If so COOL.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM

ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
Dougiebear , I am not sure what you all have in mind ,I might have got it wrong . I only know that when I indicate or turn my steering at lower speed the light comes on the towards the side I am going , The lights come from the main headlights which has only one big bulb where as i saw another ml2013 model without the intelligent lights it had 2 seperate bulbs in the main head light .
Am I on the right track ?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Right yep
Does the light beam from the bixenon point inward and down into the reflector which then casts light to the roadside in the direction of steering? I believe It should stay that way for a few seconds as the wheels turn straight

Last edited by dougiebear; 11-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
So got my ml 550 and the home above the reflector that should be for cornering lights appears to be empty. It is truly empty right? There is no hope for a software fix?
Initially the puddle lights in our 2012 ml350 along with a bunch of early releases didn't have these activated and wouldn't turn on until a software update
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cornering lights

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
So got my ml 550 and the home above the reflector that should be for cornering lights appears to be empty. It is truly empty right? There is no hope for a software fix?
Initially the puddle lights in our 2012 ml350 along with a bunch of early releases didn't have these activated and wouldn't turn on until a software update
Yep - not available for US.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
In combination with bi-xenon headlamps, the cornering light function significantly enhances safety in dark conditions when turning at poorly lit junctions.

The cornering light function utilizes additional reflectors integrated in the headlamps. It is controlled on the basis of data on road speed, steering angle and indicator position.

Using this data, the control unit ensures correct implementation of the cornering light function in different scenarios: at junctions, roundabouts and even when reversing.

The intelligent electronics system does not switch the cornering lights on and off abruptly. Instead they are faded up and down using a dimmer function. This gives the driver time to adapt to changes in lighting.

An ML with Bi-Xenon lights

OR
Low beam bi-xenon headlamps illuminate roadsides more clearly and broadly than conventional lamps, and their high beams have a significantly longer range. This enhances perceptual safety and allows you to drive much more safely at night.

In addition, when cornering sharply at speeds of up to 40 km/h, the cornering light function of the bi-xenon system activates, ensuring much better illumination of the road.

The term "bi-xenon" means that low and high beams utilize the same light source. When the high beams are engaged, maximum brightness is made available. This extends visibility and enables headlamp flashing.

In bi-xenon low-beam mode, the concentrated high-beam light is partially blocked through the insertion of a shade. Bi-xenon low beams shine much more brightly than conventional halogen low beam headlamps, enabling drivers to identify roadside objects more rapidly.

The system also includes dynamic sensor-controlled headlamp range adjustment that automatically compensates for vehicle position changes caused by braking, accelerating, or a payload. High-powered bi-xenon gas-discharge headlamps also rarely dazzle oncoming drivers.

Last edited by HAILERS2; 01-13-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Yep - not available for US.

Ditto ... checked this out at our dealer today ... no bulb in the active corner spot. dealer confirmed that the Lighting Package comes with "Active Curve Illumination" and "Adaptive Highbeam Assist" but not the active corner. (this in the US)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I cannot see any light source in mine here either (CDN)...what an odd looking device,,,what is the effect of that "fin" ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML cornering lights