M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML cornering lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I understand Active Cornering Lights are not available in the US.

So last year I posted pics so you could see what they look like.
Try this post:-

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...rnering+lights
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
They are available from day one on lightening package with bi-xenon. When u start car at night they do a little "dance". You can see it by looking at lenses.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM

E550 cabrio. 2011 ML550. GLK 2010. CLA 2014
Exclamation ML 550 2013 cornering lights

I avoided disaster driving at night on a rural deserted road in Canada by a very thin margin a few days after I took possession of my new ML 550. A hairpin turn at 20 KM/H, boom, there is a boulder that fell from the hill on the right side. I never saw it but managed to avoid hitting it. This is how I discovered that contrary to my E550 Cabrio and GLK, the ML HAD NO WORKIN CORNERING LIGHTS.

The dealer was clueless... I wrote to MB only to learn that Cornering lamps on the ML are NOT AVAILABLE IN NORTH North America:

The short answer is that Canada and the US share the same headlamp variant which does not include the cornering light function*due to local state law regulation in a few US states. We are trying to develop a workaround solution, but this will not come in the short term.

I would very much like to know which US States enacted such stupid regulations. Now, cornering lights are legal in Canada as per Transport Canada here's a screenshot of the their web site.

Conclusion: Canadians are hostage of stupid US regulations but MB could install the european light cluster in MLs destined for Canada (since ALL MLs are built in the sane US plant). I guess I came close of serioulsy hurting my family and myself because of a beancounter.

Advanced Forward Lighting Systems

Hover to enlargeAdvanced Forward Lighting System is a term used for lights that can automatically adapt to changing driving conditions (road and visibility). Some systems can swivel the main beams left and right up to 15 degrees according to the vehicle’s travel path (angle of the curve) and speed. This provides greater lighting to the road ahead. Other systems can automatically switch from high beam to low beam when it detects an approaching vehicle. There are also systems that can shine light 90-degrees in either direction when the vehicle is turning at an intersection. These systems usually use Bi-Xenon or High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights.

Operation

Most systems require the driver to turn the light switch to the automatic setting

Things to keep in mind

These systems are not a substitute for attentive driving.Drivers are encouraged to read the owner’s manual to become familiar with the system and the conditions when system operation is different or is not guaranteed.
Attached Thumbnails ML cornering lights-screenshot_2014-02-08-12-10-50.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM

4Runner
Comment Removed - I figured it out! Thank you!

Last edited by StartGroup; 02-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.