M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Gas vs Diesel....the logic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
Gas vs Diesel....the logic

After considering both options, we chose a gasoline engine for these reasons: assuming we drive 10K miles per year at a hypothetical average of 21 mpg and premium fuel costs $3.80 per gallon as it does here, the fuel cost for this would be approximately $1809. If a diesel was driven the same 10K miles at an average of 25 mpg and diesel fuel was $4.15 as it is here, the cost would be $1660. When you add the requirement for the diesel exhaust fluid every 10K miles, it really looks like a wash dollar-wise. I understand that the Blue-Tec has more torque, etc. but am not convinced that diesel is a viable choice for many of us. What am I missing?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
I chose a blutec... I have not actually had it come in yet but drove both models and I like the idea of it all. Not sure how it will work out dollar wise if it will be worth it but I think it is worth trying. My dad has a 2010 gas ML and I like it but the guy at the dealer I know has a diesel and says the mileage numbers are conservative and doesn't miss his gas (2011 gas ML350). Plus diesel is cool! I think either way both are great options.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I had the same dilemma. I never had a diesel and always wanted one. I figured now was the time since diesel engines have come so far along in the last few years what with clean emissions, little noise and smell, etc. Most of the negatives of diesels of the past have been addressed and Mercedes makes about the best diesel available. I put the pencil to it as you did and I too determined it was pretty much a wash in monetary consideration, given the price of both premium and diesel in my part of Texas. However, the monetary factor was not the most important.

After all was said and done I decided on the gas version because I wanted the higher end torque rather than the low grunt of diesel. If I traveled a lot of highway miles (which I don't at all), had a trailer or hitch (which I don't haul at all) or simply wanted a few extra miles per gallon I would have chosen the diesel. The diesel and gas version are rated to haul the same (around 7000 lbs) but I believe it will seem more effortless with a diesel if you plan on using a trailer. On long trips the diesel will seem like it is loafing along since it will travel at lower rpms (thus more efficient) and will soak up huge chunks of highway miles before you even realize it. But as I said, these are not factors for me although they may be for you. The diesel is suppose to last longer than gas engines but I think the gas motor they have in this thing will go and go for a very long time as well. I always trade after five years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first so again, that is a non-factor for me.

The point of all this is that the logic you ask about all boils down to your needs and what you want in a vehicle, with the price per mile of gas figure being only one of many factors to consider.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM

2013 ML350BTC
Most of the folks who buy the bluetec do so because they've owned diesels before or because they want to tow with the vehicle. Most of the 2012 ML reviews I've read indicate the diesel is the engine of choice. When I go the the epa site (google epa fuel economy) and personalize to my driving characteristics, it shows an overall 5 mpg benefit to the diesel. Even at that, you're correct; don't buy the diesel because you think it will save you money. It likely would if you plan to keep it for 200K+ miles. This issues has been discussed with lots of good ideas in lots of threads on this and other forums. If you're debating, search and read.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by jiminaz
After considering both options, we chose a gasoline engine for these reasons: assuming we drive 10K miles per year at a hypothetical average of 21 mpg and premium fuel costs $3.80 per gallon as it does here, the fuel cost for this would be approximately $1809. If a diesel was driven the same 10K miles at an average of 25 mpg and diesel fuel was $4.15 as it is here, the cost would be $1660. When you add the requirement for the diesel exhaust fluid every 10K miles, it really looks like a wash dollar-wise. I understand that the Blue-Tec has more torque, etc. but am not convinced that diesel is a viable choice for many of us. What am I missing?
Where is "here"? (add to your profile). You are probably right in your pencil calcs, except most say the diesel has better resale value, though you are paying more up front, too. I had a diesel on order, but switched to gas after this logic:

Diesel advantages
- Great torque; good for towing or relaxed driving
- "Appearance" of being more environmentally friendly
- Great range on a tank
- Better resale value

Diesel disadvantages
- Some turbo lag
- Slight extra maintenance (fuel filters and DEF)
- Not all service stations have diesel in urban areas; fuel quality more variable
- Almost 300 lbs heavier than gas version, all on the front end (not good for handling)
- Higher first cost

Also look at the environmental aspects, that have it virtually even with the gas model. I'd say the diesel is only compelling if you tow heavy loads or do a lot of highway driving. Just MO. Economy figures will vary depending on where you live and mix of driving:

Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
The decision is quite a bit easier in Canada.
Premium gas here is on average about 15% more expensive then diesel (though the gap can fluctuate quite a bit).

And even though Gas ML350 is C$1500 cheaper than Bluetec for the base price, leasing actually costs 2.5% more because the 3 year residuals (18,000km) for Gas is 57% while it is 60% for Bluetec here.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM

2012 ML 350 Bluetec
I get much better mileage than what's posted by EPA with my bluetec. But that aside I chose a diesel for the novelty of it. Gas engines all my life and wanted something different. Thought seriously about a hybrid then came to my senses and went with my bluetec. I absolutely love it. The highway range is astounding at 700 miles. My only issue is the turbo lag and I would imagine that being a show stopper for some. Overall the car is so amazing I can't imagine either choice being a bad one.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
My Bluetec has an EPA highway rating that's 37% better than the rating of the V6 gas version.Also,in my neck of the woods,diesel is never more than a couple of cents higher than Premium and,during the summer it's about the same as Mid Grade.For example,a Sunoco station near my office,selling about the cheapest diesel around,is currently selling diesel for 7 cents less than Mid Grade.Add to that the amazing torque and it's a no-brainer to me...diesel's the choice.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
First things first...

I've been driving big diesels for almost 25 years. I have seen them change from loud and smelly to quiet and odorless.

I love my wife's bluetec. I don't notice any turbo lag at all. It's torquey as hell when I need it to be. Most of the time I can't tell it's a diesel. I've just driven from Toronto to Florida with a truck full (4) of people and luggage averaging 70+mph and I'm getting 650+ miles to a tank! Holy crap! I did notice the price of diesel is more than premium on the way down. Back home in Toronto I am paying $1.179 per liter. Premium is almost $1.45 or so.

I expect better mileage as the truck gets older. I also expect my resale to be significantly better. I'm not concerned with DEF. the cost of that fluid will be under $60 per year which is significantly less than any spark plugs or tune ups a gas motor needs. The exhaust filter is self cleaning and I bought the extended warranty. Up in Canada I think the bluetec sells 3-1 over the gas.

Just my $.02.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by orenlasko
Up in Canada I think the bluetec sells 3-1 over the gas.
Local fuel pricing has a huge impact. If we had your pricing, I probably would have gone that way too, but diesel is more than premium here most of the time.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM

2013 ML350
Thanks for all your replies! Based on all of your input, I'm confident we made the right choice for us by going with the gas engine.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Diesel by far. I love that I get the ML from 70MPH to 85MPH in less than 5 seconds without dropping a gear! Only in the Diesel.

The Vehicle can cruise at 80 MPH at 2.2K RPM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
jiminaz, based on what you say, the gas should work for you.
However, you did miss one thing in your calculations.
When you start to operate the diesel and see the 650-700 miles per tank and 30+MPGs, you WILL suddenly drive it much more than the 10000 miles you estimated. Trust me, it will become the vehicle you and your family uses to go everywhere. If it's not to late, switch to the Bluetec. You will also see a drastic decrease in gas station purchases on your debit/credit card statements.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 PM

2013 MB BTC
Missed benefit

Besides superior torque to the gas model, one additional benefit to the diesel is the curb weight (in U.S.). Our tax system allows up to a $25,000 tax deduction for SUVs weighing more than 5,000 lbs. Bluetec weighs just over 5,000; gas model is more than 200 lbs shy of the required weight.

However, this tax advantage us usually claimed in conjunction with a business, so if you do not have a business and cannot claim business exemptions, this may not apply to you.

Finally, cost-wise, I don't have a crystal ball, but I foresee diesel prices approaching below Premium gas prices soon, and even if they do not, the added fuel economy (>6 miles per gallon) of the diesel, and the reduced times I have to fill up, make it worth it to me.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 PM

W212 E350
The tax credit is not based on curb weight, its based only on gross vehicle weight, it is for vehicles that have 6000lb gvw or more. Both the gas version and the diesel qualify for the deduction, it's called section 179 accelerated depreciation. There is also bonus depreciation, section 168. Without going into a lot of detail, make sure business owners research these or talk to your tax advisor about both.

Back to the original post, we chose the diesel for the range. On long road trips with kids sleeping in the back, being able to travel 700 miles is priceless!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
No way I could travel 700 miles without stopping.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM

2013 MB BTC
It's nice to stop because you want to, not because you have to. Fuel should not be what dictates one's schedule.

On the tax deduction, thanks -- I guess I spoke too quickly because I remember researching this and being unsure if either model actually qualified, but remember thinking that the additional weight of the diesel couldn't hurt.

And although you state that both vehicles qualify, a review of the IRS documentation doesn't seem to confirm that the ML qualifies, since gross vehicle weight (GVW) doesn't necessarily place either vehicle over 6,000 lbs. (gas = 4,700+ v. diesel = 5,100+). I will still have my accountant place it under the 179 depreciation, but an audit is always a concern.

Last edited by djmsstraub; 11-11-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Thanks for clarification
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Simple answer is DO NOT USE EPA figures
Real world with the same driver doing the same route the diesel will be much better on fuel.. however diesel is cheaper than gas here and fluxuates less in price.
Much better with spirited driving too.
Torque makes my heart beat and who drives above 3-4 grand rpm?
Next thing that make it worth while is you need to drive more then 25,000mi/35000km per year. But its a great gas engine for sure gang so enjoy, each has a purpose.

Oren I was told about 90% BT till this year.
getting about 9.7l/100k mostly highway but lots time sitting showing features and YEP I take it everywhere
Surprised how well you can milk mileage in town

Last edited by dougiebear; 11-11-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM

W212 E350
Originally Posted by djmsstraub
It's nice to stop because you want to, not because you have to. Fuel should not be what dictates one's schedule.

On the tax deduction, thanks -- I guess I spoke too quickly because I remember researching this and being unsure if either model actually qualified, but remember thinking that the additional weight of the diesel couldn't hurt.

And although you state that both vehicles qualify, a review of the IRS documentation doesn't seem to confirm that the ML qualifies, since gross vehicle weight (GVW) doesn't necessarily place either vehicle over 6,000 lbs. (gas = 4,700+ v. diesel = 5,100+). I will still have my accountant place it under the 179 depreciation, but an audit is always a concern.

You are looking at the curb weight of the cars, not the gvwr. If you look inside the drivers door I believe, you will see the gvwr and it is over 6000 lbs for both versions of the ML. The curb weight of these cars is between 4700 and 5100, but that is irrelevant when determining the qualifications for section 179 and 168. You only need the gvwr. See here for the difference between curb and gvwr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_v..._weight_rating