M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Very disappointed in my 2012 ml350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
You are so right. After all, who needs an engine in good working order anyway. :-)
It was a noise that annoyed the owner. Not serious enough to trigger a engine light or default code. Dealer found the solution and even that's not good enough. Would you demand a new engine? That's what I mean by picky. Just get that part fixed. And expect $1000 compensation for an hour of inconvenience while you drop off your car, Really?

Last edited by jtorrebl; 11-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
It was a noise that annoyed the owner. Not serious enough to trigger a engine light or default code. Dealer found the solution and even that's not good enough. Would you demand a new engine? That's what I mean by picky. Just get that part fixed. And expect $1000 compensation for an hour of inconvenience while you drop off your car, Really?
check the engine cover under the hood, a clip may be loose.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
I totally agree that a new engine is not warranted here. Plus I would think that having the engine replaced would cause even more problems. IMO the car would never be the same. But just because there is no fault code doesn't mean there is no problem. Remember the early diesels had a bad hesitation problem but no codes were given? Even after they software update they still hesitate when cold. Just not as bad as they use to.

I also agree that seeking compensation for this inconvenience is not justified. It seems to me that MB is trying to do the right thing by fixing it.

It has been my experience with MB that the dealer is reluctant to fix any problem without a fault code. IMO this may be due to the engine being so new that they have no idea how to troubleshoot it without the computer doing it for them. It seems the easy answer is they can't duplicate it or it is just normal. But as owners we know when something is out of the ordinary.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
I totally agree that a new engine is not warranted here. Plus I would think that having the engine replaced would cause even more problems. IMO the car would never be the same. But just because there is no fault code doesn't mean there is no problem. Remember the early diesels had a bad hesitation problem but no codes were given? Even after they software update they still hesitate when cold. Just not as bad as they use to.

I also agree that seeking compensation for this inconvenience is not justified. It seems to me that MB is trying to do the right thing by fixing it.

It has been my experience with MB that the dealer is reluctant to fix any problem without a fault code. IMO this may be due to the engine being so new that they have no idea how to troubleshoot it without the computer doing it for them. It seems the easy answer is they can't duplicate it or it is just normal. But as owners we know when something is out of the ordinary.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I'd never buy W166 until it reaches about 4 years after first model. It takes a few years for manufacturer to sort out kinks on new models. Father-in-law's friend upgraded to W166 from 2010 ML350. While W164 had no problems new one already stalled on him several times. No codes and dealer can't duplicate the problems so he's getting the run around.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by KA8
I'd never buy W166 until it reaches about 4 years after first model. It takes a few years for manufacturer to sort out kinks on new models. Father-in-law's friend upgraded to W166 from 2010 ML350. While W164 had no problems new one already stalled on him several times. No codes and dealer can't duplicate the problems so he's getting the run around.
Then you'll never have a new late model car. That's part of the fun of getting a new car. Breing an early adopter. Having the latest thing. Isn't that what we work for, to enjoy the latest and greatest?
Almost all of us new ml owners have no problems. There can always outliers but don't worry about those. Enjoy life and spoil yourself
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by KA8
I purchased my MB because I fell in love during the test drive. This is my 1st MB. I'm one of the few that have some problems. Will MB fix them? Who knows. But I have the lemon law on my side if I decide to go that way.

Would I seek a refund or a new vehicle. I would take a new vehicle. I believe that MB has a good vehicle. Make that a great vehicle. Mine is an early production model which may account for the issues. I love the radar cruise control and the active lane and blind spot pkg. The HK system is tops. The diesel, after it warms up, runs like a top.

I believe that since the model is new the dealers have no idea how to troubleshoot them Except for obvious mechanical issues or if, and only if, the computer throws them a code.

Its not like the old days when the carburetor controlled how fast you went. Now there are so many variables involved. Your foot is no longer in charge. The computer looks at what your foot wants and decides on how to do it. More air, more fuel, advance the timing, etc...... I'm not a mechanic so I's just guessing. But in order for the car to meet smog requirements the computer must control it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is necessary and most of the time it works like it was designed to work. But in the words of Scotty from the starship Enterprise. "The more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
But in the words of Scotty from the starship Enterprise. "The more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

so true!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thanks guys ya just made my day LOL
Lovin my cold smooth quiet BT. Cornering lights would be great. Apparently I have them but its new tech so have to see what's wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM

ML 350
I started this thread. thank you, guys, for sharing me your experiences.

Update:
The car fixed. Was told one screw in the engine needs to be changed/updated. A MB tech with over 20 yr experience fixed it. I still can hear the noise but much lighter. still not sure if it is normal. Was told that engine has been opened up and checked.
Other cars may have similar issue, but no recall yet.
Seems they are very confident for this repair.

Case settled: they paid me one month car loan ($950), plus one year extended warrenty. they do not offer any powertrain warrenty.

If the problem persists, will go Lemon!

any comment?