Need Help- OEM Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
S580, GTC, GL550, NEW S550, S63 (Sold), S550 (Sold), ML350, C230
Need Help- OEM Upgrades

Hello Guys,

Let me begin by saying that I had no plans of buying a new ML!!! I typically research the S&$t out of almost everything I purchase and drive my local dealer nuts before I buy or order anything!!! In this case I decided on a ML within 48hrs. which was prompted by my 8 year old car freak son!!! I found the color and made an offer virtually without any research whatsoever. So "CUT TO" the car is sitting in my drive way and I absolutely love it!!!! However, now I am doing the research and have some regrets. Mainly, headlights, audio and wheels! So I already know that the headlights are near impossible. Does anybody know what if any OEM upgrades are dealer installable after the fact?

01. Headlights
02. Audio
03. Wheels? Source for a good deal on factory wheels?
04. Pre-Wired Option??? What does that mean?? Screens in the back???

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, SRX, ML550
Heh, I'm in the same boat as you - I swore this time around I would research a car properly before buying. An yet here I have a ML550 on order having never test driven one, though I'm hoping it's nicer than the GL550 that I did get to test drive since it has a similar engine.

I'm sure that everything would be replaceable given enough time and money. Doesn't your dealer have a return policy? I know that some might allow you to swap out this car for another with your exact specs within a certain grace period? However if you want to keep it, here are some thoughts:

01. https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...giving-up.html

02. See 01

03. I bought a nice pair of take off rims for my S550 from eBay, in a year or two you should start seeing dealer take-offs online. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Mercedes-...0d4bbb&vxp=mtr

04. It's the wiring harness that connects the audio system to the seats. I added it to my build for resale value, even though I have no plans to put what I think are rather stupid DVD systems into the headrests. I believe the iPad connector also uses the harness, but wouldn't it be easier to just give the little brats in the back a cheap tablet with headphones rather than paying $1000's for an in-car system that is not as nice?

Last edited by Thimee; 11-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Forget the headlights. Although one poster on this board had HID's installed by the dealer and they work. If I remember correctly he purchased the kit and paid the dealer to install them.

As for the audio. My guess is that you can go to any good car audio place and get and amp and speakers installed keeping the same head/Nav unit. Although the HK system is great. But going aftermarket you can get what is best for you. Not a bad way to go IMO.

Wheels are totally up to you.

Did you get a trailer hitch? That would be the most difficult to get aftermarket. That is if you ever needed one.

As for the pre-wire option. Most folks, including myself, got that option because it included the memory seat for the passenger. But if rear screens are what you want then the aftermarket is just as good or better. The only down side is not getting the passenger seat memory. But then how often do you really use it? I know I never use it.

Congrats on the new car. :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
S580, GTC, GL550, NEW S550, S63 (Sold), S550 (Sold), ML350, C230
Thanks for the replies!!! While I am really bummed about the headlights and audio, I am all in on my ML! I never thought I would enjoy a smaller SUV (strictly S-Class) but the ML is pretty butch and incredible in and out!!! Got a great deal!!! So I will search for 21" or 20" wheels and I will deal with it!!! Did I say I love it???

If anybody executes a 3rd party audio upgrade please post details
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by reelestates
Thanks for the replies!!! While I am really bummed about the headlights and audio, I am all in on my ML! I never thought I would enjoy a smaller SUV (strictly S-Class) but the ML is pretty butch and incredible in and out!!! Got a great deal!!! So I will search for 21" or 20" wheels and I will deal with it!!! Did I say I love it???

If anybody executes a 3rd party audio upgrade please post details
Advertise on the classified sections of the forums for the wheels. You never know, someone may want a further upgrade and sell some take offs reasonably. I picked up some like new 19s for Winters for $550 shipped! Headlights would likely cost you $4k to convert; better off trading in. Glad you're liking the truck.