M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 has just arrived

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traded in '13 ML350 now '16 GLE 350
ML350 has just arrived

Just got a voice mail that our car has just arrived at the dealer!!!!

- Diamond White Almond Beige MB tex
- P1 package, lighting package, parktronic, heated steering wheel, ambient lighting, Harmon/kardon, 4matic
The car should be ready for delivery this weekend though with the Christmas rush I may opt to wait till next week.
My question is if there is anything that I should be aware of or watch out for as we prepare to take delivery. I have used this forum (Thank You all) to read up on pre paid maintenance options and warranties etc. Just don't want to miss anything.
Also I am going to get the front (driver's and passenger's) windows tinted... does anyone have suggestions as to whether or not to have the dealer provide this service.
Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 PM

delivery experiences

Okay since there doesn't seem to be much of a response (yet) after almost 100 views as to what to watch out for or ask for etc. or any suggestions (yet) on tinting

How about anyone's experiences taking their delivery... good bad anything?

Thanks Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Six months ago I took delivery of a 2012 Diamond White with Almond/Biege MB Tech as well. I have the lighting package and many of your other options (I've even used the heated steering wheel a time or two here in Texas!!). I think you will be thrilled with the vehicle - I know I am.

As far as delivery is concerned there is one thing I would ask the dealership not to do and that is do not wash the car. Diamond white can withstand the way those shop kids wash cars better than other colors but frankly, I don't want any dealer touching that expensive paint. Take it home and give it a good shampoo with a quality wash followed by a gentle clay bar treatment. Then wash again and top with a good wax or sealant. That Diamond White paint will thank you for the extra care. Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM

2013 ML350 BT
Our bluetec is en route currently. I know we will look over the car carefully. Do you want them to drill your front bumper for the license plate?

Make sure the car has everything you ordered... Full tank of gas would be expected. Have them show you how to pair up your Bluetooth phones....

As for tinting... My dealer wanted 300. My guy uses 3m and charges around 100. He has the same warranty as the dealer. No brainier for me.

Accessories.... Get them to throw in nice license frames, cargo trays, mud flaps, etc? Or, at least a discount?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM

2013 ML550 Paladium Silver/Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by X5NoMor
Okay since there doesn't seem to be much of a response (yet) after almost 100 views as to what to watch out for or ask for etc. or any suggestions (yet) on tinting

How about anyone's experiences taking their delivery... good bad anything?

Thanks Happy Holidays!
Whatever you do, resist their pitch for any add-ons, like tire insurance, clearbra, gap insurance, undercoating, etc. To get you off the hook, tell them you will consider it, but you like to do your research and will not be making a decision today.

Also, how are you buying it? Be sure to try to grind them on any APR or money factor points, as they'll try to pad them to make more from it themselves. Don't hesitate to pretend to get up to leave if you don't get what you want...that usually brings them around. If they run your credit report and its not what you expected, ask to see the actual printout....don't take their word for it. Actually, you should go to myFICO.com right now and buy both scores, so you will be armed and ready.

They might use the FICO Auto-Enhance score, which weights your car payment history more than other factors, but it should not be too different as long as you paid on time in the past.

Be sure to take the vehicle for a drive, including on the highway, before you sign anything. Inspect every part of the outside and inside, and look underneath. Adjust all the seats and push all the buttons.

When you go sign for everything, you'll likely sign a lot of paperwork, a well as get pitched the gap insurance, etc. Again, decline these offers, and insist on getting copies of everything you sign, shown or offered during the signing process....especially anything you sign.

Put any down payment on your credit card, so you get the reward points.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
I ended up springing for the clear-bra/permaplate stuff that the dealer offered, which cost me a little over $1000 added to my purchase price. My reasoning for these extras was:

- I wanted a clear bra for Colorado due to the rocks/sand that the snowplows drop. All my previous cars (even my S550 which hardly ever drove in snow) had tons of dents and chips in the paintwork over time. If you live in a warm state, this becomes unnecessary though...

- I personally think that PermaPlate is "snake oil", however getting it done gave me two things: dealer gave me $500 extra added to the value of the vehicle at trade in time, as well as "windscreen insurance", if I get one of those dreaded rock strikes that occur quite often in winter. Adding this though regular insurance would cost me an additional estimated $300 over 3 years.

Also the dealer gave me a screaming deal (below invoice after winter incentives), so I didn't mind giving a little extra back on an $80K vehicle. "Give and take"

Last edited by Thimee; 12-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
My dealer is tinting front windows NC. He said its only $50 anyway.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 PM

S550 Porsche Cayenne
My ML should be here any day - it sounds like yours except for the heated steering wheel - I went for the wood.

About gap insurance - check with your insurance agent to see what your policy covers. Gap Insurance was automatically included in our Lexus and Porsche leases.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I found 3 very small spots in the paint on the hood. Didn't seem like much at the time and dealer said the only way to fix it was to repaint the hood. In hindsight I should not have taken delivery because now, a year later, they are breaking thru the clear coat and now the hood will need to be repainted.

I would make sure the paint job is flawless. Take your time during the inspection and don't think you are just nitpicking. I have the capri blue. There is also a lot of orange peel. But you don't really get that with white paint.

Also drive it at 45 MPH and see if there is any pressure in your ears. MB describes it as helicopter noise. If there is DO NOT take delivery. They cannot fix that issue. But I don't think it happens to every ML. I would also test it as follows. WHen parked, roll up the windows close the roof and put the fan on high bringing in fresh air from the outside. Do not use the AC. If the pressure builds up in the car then leave it. THey can't fix it.

But my guess is that they fixed those issues from the 12 model.

Last edited by katiesdad7; 12-19-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Finnegan
My ML should be here any day - it sounds like yours except for the heated steering wheel - I went for the wood.
The wood wheel does look nice but I have the heated steering wheel on my X5 and it is real nice here in the north east on the cold mornings especially since I'm a get in the car and drive person.
Only thing I didn't get was Keyless go I asked to add it to my order but my order was already locked
Great suggestions everyone Thanks