M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Cornering Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Cornering Lights

Ok, I've been reading on this forum about some people seem to have the cornering lights and others don't. I just took delivery of my new 2013 ML305 a few days ago.
It has option :
319 Lighting Package: Bi-Xenon Headlamps
P35 : Lighting Package
600 : Headlamp Cleaning System
608 : Adaptive Highbeam Assist
615 : Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/Active Curve Illumination

Does this include the cornering light feature or is that standard or is not available on the 2013 ML350 in the US?

Like I said, this looks like it has been hashed out to some degree on other posts but couldn't decipher if it is supposed to have it or not.

thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - you do have the Mercedes Intelligent Headlight system - however to understand what "cornering function" that really is - and most owner's don't understand themselves - please download the Owners Manual from the mbusa.com web site under Owners Support - save that pdf file - and read up on what your light package really does since its linked to both the steering angle sensors as well as vehicle speed sensors.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - you do have the Mercedes Intelligent Headlight system - however to understand what "cornering function" that really is - and most owner's don't understand themselves - please download the Owners Manual from the mbusa.com web site under Owners Support - save that pdf file - and read up on what your light package really does since its linked to both the steering angle sensors as well as vehicle speed sensors.

Keep the beat !
Thanks, but I've read the Manual numerous times. It just seems that the cornering function does not work. This of course is not to be confused with the adaptive headlights.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
This gets brought up quite often. The owners manual explicitly states that the ML has cornering lights when it in fact does NOT have them.

Most dealers are a bit clueless on this one as well, mine took ages to try find out, we actually ended up looking in the lenses of ML's on the showroom floor (both with and without the lighting package) to see if any had them, but none did.

Cornering lights are NOT to be confused with active curve (where the the main lights follow the steering wheel), and they are NOT some stupid reflector thing. I had them on my S-Class, they are unique individual lamps that light up when driving at low speed and the indicator is turned on or the steering wheel is turned.

The new GL has em, you can clearly see them in the headlight cluster (nice LED lamp too). See https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ring-light.jpg

The ML however does NOT, even though the owners manual says it does. My dealer actually wrote a technical email to MBUSA because the manual says something exists on the car that actually doesn't in reality, hopefully next year's owners manual will be fixed.

I'm in the USA, perhaps the international version might be a different story?

Last edited by Thimee; 01-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by Thimee
This gets brought up quite often. The owners manual explicitly states that the ML has cornering lights when it in fact does NOT have them.

Most dealers are a bit clueless on this one as well, mine took ages to try find out, we actually ended up looking in the lenses of ML's on the showroom floor (both with and without the lighting package) to see if any had them, but none did.

Cornering lights are NOT to be confused with active curve (where the the main lights follow the steering wheel), and they are NOT some stupid reflector thing. I had them on my S-Class, they are unique individual lamps that light up when driving at low speed and the indicator is turned on or the steering wheel is turned.

The new GL has em, you can clearly see them in the headlight cluster (nice LED lamp too). See https://mbworld.org/forums/attachment...ring-light.jpg

The ML however does NOT, even though the owners manual says it does. My dealer actually wrote a technical email to MBUSA because the manual says something exists on the car that actually doesn't in reality, hopefully next year's owners manual will be fixed.

Very interesting and thanks fur the clear and concise answer. It's interesting that you say the cornering IS NOT THE REFLECTOR, because on other posts people are indicating it is. Is just so frustrating to know if you have a feature which the manual says you do but then you try it and it doesn't work. Then you think you have a fault in the light but really you don't have that feature. What is amazing is the amount of confusion not only the forums but in the dealerships a well.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
Yeah, I think some dealers try the cop-out route by talking rubbish about reflectors or by trying to confuse cornering lights with active curve (get the customer off your back thing).

However those of us who have actually driven other Mercedes models in the past that have them fitted know instantly that the ML definitely does not have them in any shape or form. I drove down a dark street the first night I got mine and said "Hey, where are my cornering lights that I know and love from my S?"... There is not the slightest hint of them on the ML.

Last edited by Thimee; 01-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM

ML350
Yeah, I think some dealers try the cop-out route by talking rubbish about reflectors or by trying to confuse cornering lights with active curve (get the customer off your back thing).

However those of us who have actually driven Mercedes that have them know that the ML definitely does not have them in any shape or form. I drove down a dark street the first night I got mine and said "Hey, where are my cornering lights that I know and love from my S?"... There is not the slightest hint of them on the ML.
Well, I'll stop trying to test that feature now. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
Originally Posted by FLICK12
Well, I'll stop trying to test that feature now. Thanks!
Haha, I also spent a couple of hours trying to get my non-existent feature to work, I tried looking through the engineering menus, getting a friend to stand on the side of the road as I drove by slowly while trying all sorts of combinations (indicators + steering wheel etc). I even got a flashlight out to look at the wiring cluster on the light harness, while the wiring seems to be there there is no physical bulb that I could see.

Bleah, oh well. Probably next year's model will have them - as least we have the colour displays that our 2012 friends don't have - something we can gloat about!

Last edited by Thimee; 01-09-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Haha, I also spent a couple of hours trying to get my non-existent feature to work, I tried looking through the engineering menus, getting a friend to stand on the side of the road as I drove by slowly while trying all sorts of combinations (indicators + steering wheel etc). I even got a flashlight out to look at the wiring cluster on the light harness, while the wiring seems to be there there is no physical bulb that I could see.

Bleah, oh well. Probably next year's model will have them - as least we have the colour displays that our 2012 friends don't have - something we can gloat about!
Does the 2012 have them? If the wiring is there, is there an available socket in the headlamp cluster?

This whole thing is just so weird.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Quote:

Does the 2012 have them? If the wiring is there, is there an available socket in the headlamp cluster?

This whole thing is just so weird.
That's an interesting question because if the wiring is there wouldn't you just be able to insert a bulb? If it e were that easy why wouldn't they just put the bulb in?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
That's an interesting question because if the wiring is there wouldn't you just be able to insert a bulb? If it e were that easy why wouldn't they just put the bulb in?

Cut costs? On my 1999 ML (USA spec) there was an empty bulb socket on the innermost part of the headlight. After inserting a bulb in there, it could be activated from the factory fog lamp switch on the dashboard. This wasn't a missing option on the car nor was the car marketed as having fog lights, it just had an empty slot and button. Turns out the Canadian MLs have that bulb socket used for their daytime running lights. So sometimes it's just a regional thing.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP

The new GL has em, you can clearly see them in the headlight cluster (nice LED lamp too). See https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ring-light.jpg

That is the picture I took of an 'international' ML not GL.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Keep the beat !
OOPS! Apparently not.

Also linked to the turn signals. At, or below, 25 mph IF the turn signal is activated, the corresponding cornering light comes on regardless of steering angle input.
Funny. Our baby SUV (21012 GLK) has the cornering lamps. Clearly an extra pair of halogen bulbs mounted inboard of the primary HID Bi-Xenon lamps. Nice feature way back in the dark woods.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 01-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
My '13 350 does not have "cornering lights" per se'. My '06 did and they were separate dedicated lights as folks describe above. My '06 also had the lighting package. I must admit my '13's headlight pattern (with the lighting package) seems to be quite a bit wider. As mentioned the intelligent light will move a little following the steering. It may be my imagination but it seems that the combination of the light movement and the wider light pattern almost equals what I had with the cornering lights.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by frtdog
My '13 350 does not have "cornering lights" per se'. My '06 did and they were separate dedicated lights as folks describe above. My '06 also had the lighting package. I must admit my '13's headlight pattern (with the lighting package) seems to be quite a bit wider. As mentioned the intelligent light will move a little following the steering. It may be my imagination but it seems that the combination of the light movement and the wider light pattern almost equals what I had with the cornering lights.
I can only compare the lightign to my BMW X5 since this is my first Benz. But, I do see a huge difference between the light pattern in my X5 and the ML350 where I am getting light on the sides of the roads where my x5 it was completetly dark.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Is just so frustrating to know if you have a feature which the manual says you do but then you try it and it doesn't work.
Never use the manual as a guide to what features you have or do not have.
The user manual is written for cars with different configurations - so the features described there may or may not apply to you.

If certain features do not appear on the build list of your car, then most likely, it is not included.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Ok, I've been reading on this forum about some people seem to have the cornering lights and others don't. I just took delivery of my new 2013 ML305 a few days ago.
It has option :
319 Lighting Package: Bi-Xenon Headlamps
P35 : Lighting Package
600 : Headlamp Cleaning System
608 : Adaptive Highbeam Assist
615 : Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/Active Curve Illumination

Does this include the cornering light feature or is that standard or is not available on the 2013 ML350 in the US?

Like I said, this looks like it has been hashed out to some degree on other posts but couldn't decipher if it is supposed to have it or not.

thanks!
Strangely here in Australia, the lighting pack contains P35, 600, 608, 621.
I am not sure if the difference (615 v 621) is the yellow eyebrow v white, or the cornering lamps which I definitely have.

They work great. A simpler way of describing their operation is they are on when the steering is turned beyond 5 degrees, or when the indicator is on below 40 km/h (25mph). They also work they other side when in reverse.

I have looked and you cannot see the globe, as it is in a shield. It actually reflects sideways from the inner reflector.

It would be a pity to delete them from some models as the money has been spent including the reflector within the lens.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM

S550, SRX, ML550
iankayem: Out of interest, could you post a picture of your cornering lights in action? I'd love to see where they're located in the light cluster! I went and took a picture of mine (US version with the lighting package), I see there is an interesting reflector setup that doesn't seemed to be used for anything:

Cornering Lights-kngf9.jpg

Notice the scalloped reflector setup - I don't see any lights, trying to look into the cluster I only see a hole where possibly a bulb could exist?

Cornering Lights-lpczw.jpg
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM

X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
The first pic is the right headlamp, taken from low angle at the side.
The second is again at the side but from a little higher above the beam.
The third is from in front, you cannot see the cornering light but you can see the glass is illuminated.
The fourth is back down low again - I was pretty well blinded by now.
The fifth is a close up from the side.
And the last is the left hand light with the cornering light off.
Attached Thumbnails Cornering Lights-dscn0306.jpg   Cornering Lights-dscn0307.jpg   Cornering Lights-dscn0308.jpg   Cornering Lights-dscn0309.jpg   Cornering Lights-dscn0311.jpg  

Cornering Lights-dscn0312.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM

S550, SRX, ML550
Oh excellent, thanks for those!

Would you say that the source of the cornering light is coming from the area that I've highlighted below? Can you see a visible bulb or light/LED cluster perhaps? Mine seems to just have a hole in that location...

Did you just turn the steering wheel to get it the cornering lights to illuminate while the main lights were in the "auto" position (active illumination on, light stalk pushed forward to that the "A" symbol shows up?)

Cornering Lights-nw5yf.jpg

Last edited by Thimee; 01-11-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Yes your arrow is correct. The globe is behind that fluted cover. Its beam shines onto that "interesting reflector setup" as you described it earlier.

The lights are on Auto with the steering turned 5+ degrees. The stalk may be forward but that doesn't matter as I am below 45km/h when parked in the garage.

Sorry that the headlights are dirty, its been pretty dusty with high winds lately.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
OK folks if you piece all the info together it makes sense. In USA with the adaptive lights(AHA)(bixenon) it is illegal to have this style od cornering lights. Engineering calls them highspeed. The bixenon beam shines down and into the reflecter. Inside bottom which produces light to the side of the turning direction. USA law states that the beams on each side have to do the same thing on the road. Both up both down both right both left. Europe and Canada can have each side operate independently. In Canada because we are such a border country and cross to USA so much it was determined we won't get them.
Maybe enough of us can change their minds. But it is USA HTA rules that say no because of the bixenon/ctive issue. Our highbeam adaptive even is the same both side which all of MB videos show independent beams at different heights. Law has to catch up with technology. Hope this give some peace. They are capable but will not be able to be activated.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM

S550, SRX, ML550
It feels like a step backward - my old 2007 S550 had both adaptive bixenon as well as cornering lights. I wonder if that slipped though regulations, or if MBUSA got a nasty letter from some officials somewhere?

At any rate, I wonder if adding cornering lights to USA ML's is a simple as adding a bulb? If all the wiring is intact it might just be... When the sun rises later today I plan to take a better look at the light cluster housing in mine to see if there is an easy way to get inside (not sure if these have a light bulb replacement access hatch in the wheel well since they're xenon and not regular bulbs).

Last edited by Thimee; 01-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Cornering lights

Originally Posted by dougiebear
OK folks if you piece all the info together it makes sense. In USA with the adaptive lights(AHA)(bixenon) it is illegal to have this style od cornering lights. Engineering calls them highspeed. The bixenon beam shines down and into the reflecter. Inside bottom which produces light to the side of the turning direction. USA law states that the beams on each side have to do the same thing on the road. Both up both down both right both left. Europe and Canada can have each side operate independently. In Canada because we are such a border country and cross to USA so much it was determined we won't get them.
Maybe enough of us can change their minds. But it is USA HTA rules that say no because of the bixenon/ctive issue. Our highbeam adaptive even is the same both side which all of MB videos show independent beams at different heights. Law has to catch up with technology. Hope this give some peace. They are capable but will not be able to be activated.
That make sense as far as justification goes, but sucks from a practical standpoint. Seems like the W164 with one "fog" light that would come on when turning was far more confusing than the W166's solution integrated into the headlight cluster. Thank to DOT for saving us from good engineering again.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM

S550, SRX, ML550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
That make sense as far as justification goes, but sucks from a practical standpoint. Seems like the W164 with one "fog" light that would come on when turning was far more confusing than the W166's solution integrated into the headlight cluster. Thank to DOT for saving us from good engineering again.
I saw in another thread that you were planning on writing to MBUSA to ask for an official answer - did you ever manage to get a reply from them?

Last edited by Thimee; 01-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cornering Lights