M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

"lemoned" cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 Cabriolet
"lemoned" cars

It looks like MB has "lemoned" a few of the ML's out there. In cases where the owners did not have to go to court, and Mercedes buys back under "good will" does anyone know if MB stuck a Lemon tag on the car and reported it as such so it would show if anyone would do a car fax? I have seen a few less than year old ML's for sale and wonder now if they were bought back from original purchasers as lemons.

In some cases where a known problem/repair (transmission/engine for example) could be made it would not be a big deal. In cases where no method of repair is known (stalling/wind "druming") it would be a big deal.

Just wondering.....
Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by Gerry_C
It looks like MB has "lemoned" a few of the ML's out there. In cases where the owners did not have to go to court, and Mercedes buys back under "good will" does anyone know if MB stuck a Lemon tag on the car and reported it as such so it would show if anyone would do a car fax? I have seen a few less than year old ML's for sale and wonder now if they were bought back from original purchasers as lemons.

In some cases where a known problem/repair (transmission/engine for example) could be made it would not be a big deal. In cases where no method of repair is known (stalling/wind "druming") it would be a big deal.

Just wondering.....
From what I was told if the vehicle is bought back under “goodwill” it will not be labeled a lemon.

My 2011 ML was bought back under good will and I was put in the 2012. The 2011 was sold 1˝ months later as a CPO from what I was told.

As for the Carfax, not all of the service visits were on the report and some
of the service visits that were shown didn’t fully explain the reason or severity of the service visit.

For example the 2011 was in service 16 times and only 7 services showed on the Carfax.

Buyer beware.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
car fax will only tell you so much as explained by Cyber GS, when ever you are buying used you are taking a gamble, that included buying direct from MB with their so called Star Certified program.

I would also caution against buying a vehicle during its first year as that is when most if not all the problems pop up, If you have no choice than thats a different story.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLE AMG 63S, 2022 GLC, and 2013 ML350 4Matic
Every situation is different.... Some times the buybacks are for something that is not that big of a deal. I bought a 2013 ML350 and on the second day,, I noticed the front strut was leaking. Took it to the dealership for a replacement strut and after two weeks, they still couldn't order the part as they didn't even have a part number for it to order a part to replace. They said they have no idea when Mercedes will get a new one. I asked if I can return the car and get another one.... The dealer let me return it and buy another ML. Being that it took so long waiting for the part, the first car was titled in my name and now they had to sell it as used. I heard they sent it to Arizona when the part finally came in and sold it as a CPO.